Technology & Combat Characteristics
Before the AEU-09 AEU Enact was introduced, the AEU-05/05 AEU Hellion Perpetuum was the standard mobile suit of the Advanced European Union. It beat other units in the prototype stage such as the AEU-06 to the AEU-08 and out of them all, was the one picked for mass production. The AEU also utilized mission-specific variants of Hellions such as the Reconnaissance Type and Aerial Bombardment Type, both of which operated only in flight mode. Another notable variant was the AEU-05G AEU Hellion Ground Type, which has reinforced armor. The Terrorist variations usually sport custom paint jobs and variations in weaponry.
- Defense Rod
- A standard defensive feature of AEU and Union mobile suits. The defense rod is a rotating rod usually connected to the elbow joint of the mobile suit's left arm. It is capable of deflecting physical rounds such as bullets from a machine gun, and in some cases a shot from a beam rifle by generating a plasma field. However, it is limited as a shield and the Hellion must rely on its speed and maneuverability when defending against heavier firepower.
- Linear Rifle
- A rifle that fires electromagnetically-accelerated live rounds. The Hellion's linear rifle is a smaller and less powerful than the AEU-09 AEU Enact's.
- Sonic Blade
- The standard melee weapon of both the AEU's and Union's mobile suits. A sonic blade is a folding dagger-like weapon that incorporates a high-frequency oscillating blade. The vibrations of the oscillating blade greatly increase the weapon's cutting capabilities.
- Linear Shield
- An optional weaponry for capturing enemy unit. The linear shield creates a powerful magnetic field that pulls at any magnetic material such as the Gundams.
- Sonic Sword
- A sonic sword is a folding sword-like weapon that incorporates a high-frequency oscillating blade. The vibrations of the oscillating blade greatly increase the weapon's cutting capabilities. The sonic sword has a longer blade than the sonic blade.
The Hellion Perpetuum is the main mobile suit of the Advanced European Union as of the year AD 2307, although it is in the process of being replaced by the superior AEU-09 AEU Enact. The Hellion line began in the AD 2292 with the AEU-05/92 AEU Hellion Initium, which was improved in AD 2300 into the AEU-05/00 AEU Hellion Medium, and then upgraded again in AD 2305, becoming the Hellion Perpetuum. This last version is now the definitive Hellion, and is usually referred to as simply "AEU-05 AEU Hellion".
The Hellion is manufactured in large numbers and exported outside of the AEU member nations. For that reason, there are cases in which they are used by terrorists and other various factions, including PMC Trust, other private military companies, and other small militaries. There are many variations on the head portion and armaments.
During the Gundam Capture Operation in AD 2308, dozens of Hellions were used to bombard GN-003 Gundam Kyrios and GN-002 Gundam Dynames, while a quartet of Hellions, assisting Patrick Colasour (piloting the AEU-09T AEU Enact Commander Type), were equipped with capture equipment to capture GN-005 Gundam Virtue.
In AD 2312, the Hellion was vastly outdated, thus it was replaced by the Enact in the Earth Sphere Federation Army, however some Hellions were still used by the ESF Army. A number of Hellions were acquired and deployed by the anti-Federation organization Katharon.
- The La Eden organization uses several customized AEU Hellions. However, the Hellion is only armed with a Linear Rifle and was no match for the GN-002 Gundam Dynames.
- Hellion Capture Equipment Type
- Used to capture enemy mobile suit, it is equipped with a special Linear Shield that creates a powerful magnetic field that pulls at any magnetic material such as the Gundams. This feature was used in Gundam Capture Operation in Season 1 Episode 15 when AEU used a group of four Hellions formed a cage to capture GN-005 Gundam Virtue.
- Bombardment Type
- Seen in Episode 15. The Hellion Bombardment Type could drop many bombs on a target, similar to the Tail Unit of GN-003 Gundam Kyrios. Its left and right arms are replaced with a grenade launcher and a 60mm machine gun, the wing pylons also mount missile pods.
- Reconnaissance Type
- A Hellion variant with a radome on its back. Used for reconnaissance missions.
- Patrol Type
- A Hellion variant with a radome-like object on its back, but without the linear rifle or arms.
Notes & Trivia
- The Hellion is the 2nd Non-Gundam Mobile Suit to be seen in Gundam 00. The first being the Enact.
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00F 13 "Anti-Federation Forces"