AMA-00GR Zero GR
The AMA-00GR Zero GR (ゼロ·ジ·アール zero ji aaru) (aka Zero The R) was a prototype mobile armor featured in the manga Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Deleted Affair: Portrait Of Young Comet.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed for the role of defending large bases, the Zero GR was equipped with a large number of powerful beam weapons which could suppress the enemy with overwhelming firepower, and a defensive I-field generator used to neutralize incoming beam attacks. Originally designed to be equipped with an auto-pilot program to maneuver the cumbersome Zero GR, the pilot would only need to operate the weapons of this unit. However, during a mock battle, Char Aznable's outstanding piloting skills would allow him to manually operate the entire machine, destroying every indicated target, and leaving the Zero GR unscathed. Although the Zero GR was a powerful mobile armor, Char Aznable disapproved of its low maneuverability. It is speculated that the Zero GR would serve as the base concept for the AMA-002 Neue Ziel and the NZ-333 Alpha Azieru.
- Vulcan Gun
- Vulcan guns are typically small-caliber weapons with a high rate of fire that serve as mid-to-short range defensive weapons that are used to shoot down small, fast, and lightly armored targets such as missiles or remote weapons. Vulcan guns typically do not have the power to heavily damage the armor of a mobile suit, though it is possible to deal light damage. Because of this vulcan guns will also be used to restrict an approaching enemy mobile suit's movements as most pilots will try to avoid taking unnecessary hits.
- Mouth Mega Particle Cannon
- A single fixed beam cannon is mounted in the Zero GR's "mouth".
- Mega Particle Cannon
- Movable Mega Particle Cannon
- The standard weapon of the Zero GR is the Mega Particle Cannon, five of which are scattered around its' massive frame, providing a wide-range devastating assault. This weapon fires a focused beam of massive, high-velocity mega-particles, which cannot be deflected by magnetic fields and tears through any conventional armor material.
Special Equipment & Features
- I-field Generator
- When Minovsky particles are released into the air or into open space, the positive and negative particles spontaneously align themselves into a three-dimensional cubic lattice. Due to the repulsive and electrostatic forces between the Minovsky particles, this lattice functions as a kind of a force field, which is referred to as an I-field. This field has difficulty permeating conductive materials like metal, water, and plasma, and it exerts a repulsive force against mega particles. An I field is used to to deflect enemy mega particle beams. Due to its high power requirements, the I-field generator originally could only be installed in large mobile weapons. When the generator is activated, the I-field forms an invisible barrier around the mobile weapon, protecting it from incoming beam attacks. However, this barrier has no effect against solid objects like missiles and projectiles, and beam weapons can still be used at point blank range within the barrier's boundary.
The AMA-00GR Zero GR is a mobile armor developed by the Zeon remnants at Axis. Designed with location defense in mind, Zero the R is monstrous in size, even more so than other Mobile Armors, armed with enough firepower to rival an entire enemy fleet. Commissioned by Admiral Dozle Zabi during the One Year War, the Zero GR was meant to be issued to Char Aznable, until the death of Garma Zabi served to pull Char away from Dozle's command.
In the time since the end of the One Year War, Axis Zeon managed to complete the Mobile Armor aside from the final settings to the controls. The unit was given to Char Aznable upon his arrival at Axis, in spite of his apprehension towards piloting Mobile Armors. Soon after, the Zero GR underwent combat testing under the skilled control of Char.
Instead of following the recommending method of piloting the Zero GR, allowing the computer interface to handle flight mode while the pilot focused on the weapons systems, Char managed to control the large weapon during mock combat with a squad of Gelgoogs. Eliminating all seven units with only one minor hit, easily deflected by the I-Field, the Zero GR performed well above expectations at the hands of Char. Though only completing three test flights, the accumulated data was sufficient for immediate combat deployment. The capabilities of the machine were acknowledged even by Char Aznable, who admitted to having no issues regarding the huge weapon's mobility.
Regardless, though the single strike on the Zero GR would have been deflected by the I-Field Generator, the seasoned pilot disliked the fact he could not avoid being hit because of the size of the weapon.
The AMA-00GR would soon see actual combat. Drawn in by a splinter faction of Zeon interested in restarting the war, a Federation fleet discovered the far-flung asteroid base Axis, intent on destroying the Zeon homeland. Without permission, a young Haman Karn entered the battle zone in her customized Rick Dom, the Schnee Weiss, aiming to prove herself by destroying the Federation battleships alone. Unable to launch in his Gelgoog due to maintenance, Char sortied in the Zero GR in pursuit of the inexperienced Newtype. Forced to launch in the mobile armor, Char made good use of the intimidating size and overwhelming firepower to subjugate the enemy fleet and rescue the stranded Schnee Weiss moments before GMs threatened to destroy the disarmed mobile suit, Haman left catatonic inside the cockpit.