Technology and Combat Characteristics
A Neo Zeon mass-production mobile suit produced at the Granada factory of Anaheim Electronics, it is the successor to the AMS-119 Geara Doga. Like the Geara Doga, and its Zaku predecessors, the Geara Zulu was not a "high performance" mobile suit. Meaning that although the Geara Zulu's specs gives it a superior performance to the Geara Doga, its technology does not "push the envelope" as the mobile suits of the First Neo Zeon War did. Like the Geara Doga, the Geara Zulu's design was based on using simple and conventional mobile suit technology. This made the Geara Zulu fairly easy and cheap to mass-produce as well as simple to pilot since it does not have any difficult to use features such as a transformation system.
Generally, the standard armaments of the Geara Zulu includes a beam machine gun and beam tomahawk, although there is a wide range of weapons that can be equipped depending on the mission profile, and this shows the suit's versatility. The Geara Zulu can have a weapon mount placed on the back of its waist to carry several hand grenades and the beam tomahawk. Besides weapon and equipment variations, there is also a commander version with additional blade antenna on the head, a Royal Guard version and an aquatic version.
- Beam Machine Gun
- The beam machine gun's design is (aesthetically) similar to that of the WWII German Sturmgewehr-44 , it can shoot yellow beams and can be fired fully-automatic. It is powered by a replaceable energy pac, if the energy pac runs out of energy it can be replaced with a fresh one stored on the front skirt armor. It can be attached with an optional grenade launcher.
- Grenade Launcher
- A grenade launcher is attached below the barrel of beam machine gun. These grenades are not very effective against large ships, but are ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons.
- One of the most common weapons used by Zeon/Neo Zeon's Mobile Suit. It is weaker than the bazooka but trades off firepower for cost. It was designed before the beginning of the One Year War as an anti-ship weapon, and can be used both in space and under gravity. Because it is a non-guided weapon, it is difficult to hit targets with high mobility.
- Hand Grenade
- This weapon is used by both the Earth Federation and Zeon. It is not very powerful or accurate. However, it is capable of performing different roles in the battle.
- Beam Tomahawk
- The only close combat weapon of the Geara Zulu is a beam tomahawk, which is stored on the rear skirt of the suit. The head of the beam tomahawk has two beam emitters, one on the side that emits the axe-blade, and the second on top that emits a beam spike that can be used for stabbing attacks.
- Shoulder Shield
- The Geara Zulu is equipped with a shoulder shield on the right shoulder, similar to the model used on the MS-06 Zaku II. The shield can mount four Sturm Fausts.
- Beside the shoulder shield, the Geara Zulu can also use the same forearm mounted shield as the Geara Doga. Like the shoulder shield, this shield can also mount four Sturm Fausts.
- Lange Bruno Gun Plus
- A modified version of the Lange Bruno Gun, a long-range support weaponry found on AMS-119 Geara Doga Heavy Weapons Type that shoots solid rounds. The Lange Bruno Gun Plus is specialized for space-use, and functions as a long-range beam launcher. It has an extremely high focusing rate, and fires a highly penetrative beam at a very fast speed. It is used one of the weapons designed for use with the optional heavy armament backpack.
- Submachine Gun
- A modified version of the MMP-80 90mm machine gun used by various Zeon mobile suits during the One Year War, it has a shortened barrel and stock. Can be stored on the shoulder shield.
- Beam Gatling Gun
- Seen on Gilboa Sant's custom Geara Zulu, the 4-barrel beam gatling gun can fire volleys of particle beams and usually come in a pair. The two can be used as separate guns or can be combined together on the forearm of a MS. The gatling gun itself seems to have less firepower as separate guns than a beam rifle.
- Gatling Shield
- A weapon from the MS-07B-3 Gouf Custom, it is a shield with a powerful, drum-and-belt fed, 75mm Gatling Gun attached to it. The Gatling Gun can detach from the shield itself when it runs out of ammunition.
- Clay Bazooka
- A projectile-firing bazooka, as its name indicates, the clay bazooka was originally designed to fire adhesive rounds which immobilize enemy machines rather than destroying them outright. However, this weapon can fire several different types of ammunition, and it's normally used with conventional explosive shells. This weapon was first used by the RMS-099 Rick Dias.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka II
- A weapon from the MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II. A redesigned version of Dom series' 360mm Giant Bazooka, with improved shape charges and firepower. The Giant Bazooka II is magazine-fed with 5-round capacity. A single round is particularly effective in anti-ship warfare, and can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- 120mm Machine Gun
- The 120mm machine gun is a standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. This model used a 100-round drum magazine.
- Twin 280mm Zaku Bazooka
- A weapon where two 280mm Bazookas have been combined into a single weapon, allowing for higher offensive power. The twin bazookas fired explosive rounds that were quite effective against the armor of Earth Federation mobile suits and battleships.
- H&L-GB05R/360mm Giant Bazooka
- A large bazooka originally designed for use by the Dom series of mobile suits. The 360mm bazooka is magazine fed and holds 10 rounds per magazine, and a single round is powerful enough to blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- 3-tube Missile Pod
- A weapon from the Zaku II series, the Geara Zulu could mount a total of eight pods, two on each leg and four on the shoulder shield.
- 6-tube Missile Launcher
- The missile launcher consists of the base receiver that has all the targeting equipment and the trigger group. Up to three two-tube missile packs may be loaded onto the receiver. Each tube contains one missile, which after being fired, is wire-guided to the target.
- Beam Machine Gun
- A hand-carried beam weapon originally used by the MS-14Jg Gelgoog Jäger, it fires beams at a rapid rate.
- BR-87A Beam Rifle
- The same beam rifle used by the Marasai and Hizack. The beam rifle is powered by a rechargeable energy cap and capable of firing concentrated mega particles, a shot can damage any ordinary armor that has not been specially treated to resist beam attacks.
- Beam Rifle
- Obtained from the Nahel Argama, it is the same beam rifle as used by the RGM-89D Jegan D Type. It has a short barrel for ease of handling, and is most effective in mid-close range combat due to its short firing range. Although its output is reduced, it has an excellent rate of fire, and can eliminate enemy accurately during melee combat when utilize in conjunction with the composite sensor at the top of the rifle.
- Beam Saber
- Obtained from the Nahel Argama, it is the same close combat weapon as used by the RGM-89D Jegan D Type. The beam saber's output can be adjusted as it has two beam emitters. Via selecting the output and emitter, this weapon can emit a flat beam blade for slashing, or a slim beam blade with high penetration ability.
- The same arm-mounted defense armament as used by the Jegan series, it is obtained from the Nahel Argama.
- Twin Missile Launcher
- The Jegan D Type's shield has a pair of twin missile launchers. They fire small missiles that have composite sensors in their tips, allowing them to home in onto their target even under the interference of minovsky particles in the battlefield. However, they have a short range and are basically for use in close combat as they only carry a small amount of propellant.
- Heavy Armament Backpack
- A large backpack designed as an optional equipment for the standard Geara Zulu, and produced in limited number. This backpack not only improves the suit's thrust, but also has additional generator to ensure stable power supply to the suit's weapon, a stabilizer, and two large propellant tanks for increased operational time. The stabilizer and propellant tanks can be removed when not required. One of the weapons designed for use with this backpack is the Lange Bruno Gun Plus.
The Geara Zulu's raw specifications are overall better than its predecessor, the AMS-119 Geara Doga. In U.C. 0096, the Geara Zulu is the front line mobile suit of "The Sleeves", being their most advanced mass production mobile suit. Like most of the mobile suits operated by The Sleeves, the Geara Zulu featured distinctive markings, most notably on the chest and wrists. Although an efficient mobile suit, the Geara Zulu is outperformed by the RGZ-95 ReZEL mobile suits used by Londo Bell in U.C. 0096.
- AMS-129 Geara Zulu (Guards Type)
- AMS-129 Geara Zulu Garencieres Use
- AMS-129 Geara Zulu (Gilboa Sant Use)
- A commander type Geara Zulu belonging to Gilboa Sant, a member of the Garencieres crew. Outfitted with the heavy armament backpack, it uses the Lange Bruno Gun Plus and a Beam Gatling Gun. Gilboa's Geara Zulu is destroyed by a stray shot from the Unicorn's beam magnum shot meant for Full Frontal's MSN-06S Sinanju whilst entering the atmosphere.
Notes & Trivia
- The Geara Zulu's head resembles a German gas mask soldier in 1915.
- AMS-129 Geara Zulu on MAHQ.net
- AMS-129 Geara Zulu on Gundam-Unicorn.net (English)
- AMS-129 Geara Zulu (Guards Type) on Gundam-Unicorn.net (English)
|UC 0096 Last Sun Mechanics|
FA-00100S Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai | FA-007GIII Full Armor Gundam Mk-III | MSN-001A1 Delta Plus | MSN-001X Gundam Delta Kai | MSZ-009BX Prototype ZZ Gundam (NITRO) | RGM-86R GM III | RGM-89S Stark Jegan | RIX-00PT GF-Tank | RIX-001 Gundam G-First | RIX-001［GA］ Gundam G-First-DX | RIX-003 Cannongan | RIX-003［GA］ Cannongan-DX | RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee | RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 03 Phenex
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Neo Zeon | Zeon Remnants|
| Mobile Suit|
AMS-129 Geara Zulu | AMX-009 Dreissen | AMX-014 Döven Wolf | AMX-107 Bawoo | AMX-107R Rebawoo | ATMS-09R Zuom | MS-05B Zaku I (Darmac Barlow Use) | MS-06F Zaku II | RMS-119 EWAC Zack
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Garencieres | Musai-class