The AMX-009 Dreissen is a mass-produced general purpose mobile suit and a distant descendant of Zeon's MS-09 Dom. It first appeared in the anime series Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ, and later appeared in the OVA series Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn. It is piloted by Rakan Dahkaran.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Designed based on the data of the MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II, the Dreissen is however much more similar in function to its distant ancestor, the MS-09B Dom, as it was designed with high speed ground combat in mind. Although larger than the Dom and Rick Dom II, the new alloys used in its construction make the Dreissen much lighter and thus more agile. Unlike both the Dom and Rick Dom II, the Dreissen was designed with melee combat in mind, but it proved to be a versatile suit thanks to the three barrel beam cannon's mounted in its arms. Although intended for ground combat, the Dreissen was used both on Earth and in space.
The Sleeves would modify their Dreissen units by improving the power supply system of the beam cannons, and creating armament holsters that can be mounted on a tri-blade rack in place of the tri-blade. These holsters are used to carry weapons such as the heat saber or the newly designed giant bazooka.
- 3-barrel Beam Cannon
- Mounted in each of the Dreissan's arms is a triple-barreled beam cannon, which fire beams rated at 2.8 MW. The covers of the weapon slide up when in use. Initially the weapon is powered by E-Cap, but modification to the power supply system carried out by the Sleeves allows it to be powered directly by the suit's generator. This also has the effect of increasing the power of the beams fired.
- Each Dreissen carries three tri-blades, throwing weapons that have three high-speed rotating blades each and can move towards their target using the single vernier mounted at the bottom. They are stored on backpack when not in use. Sleeve's Dreissen can carry anywhere from one to three tri-blades, depending on if any of the tri-blades' mounts are replaced by holsters for the giant bazooka and heat saber.
- Beam Lancer
- The beam lancer is a staff weapon that emits a short beam blade with high penetrating power, and can combine with the beam tomahawk into a naginata. The beam blade emitted has a power rating of 1.7 MW.
- Beam Tomahawk
- The beam tomahawk is a beam weapon that emits an axe-shaped blade, which has a power rating of 0.92 MW. The output of the beam axe can be increased when the beam tomahawk is combined with the beam lancer.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon, it is powered by a rechargeable energy cap. Capable of firing concentrated mega particles, attacks from a beam rifle can damage any ordinary armor that has not been specially treated to resist it. Dreissen uses the same beam rifle as the AMX-107 Bawoo, which can switch to a rapid-fire mode and is also known as a 'beam assault rifle'.
- Heat Saber
- The heat saber is not a weapon originally used by the AMX-009 Dreissen. By the year of the Dreissen's introduction, the heat saber was an archaic and out of date weapon when compared to beam sabers that were the standard for mobile suit combat. Still, when put into service by the resource strapped Sleeves, the Dreissen became an experiment in reverse compatibility, and was equipped with a heat saber like its predecessor, the MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II. When not in use, the heat saber can be stored on a special holster (if it is installed) located at Dreissen's back which originally carried a Tri-Blade.
- Giant Bazooka
- Like its predecessor, the MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II, the Dreissen can also utilize a Giant Bazooka for improved ranged combat capabilities. This Giant Bazooka is a newly designed weapon created by the Sleeves based on the Sinanju's Rocket Bazooka, it is used for both anti-MS and anti-ship combat. It is magazine-fed and capable of carrying 5 rounds per magazine. When not in use, the Giant Bazooka is mounted on a special holster (if it is installed) located at Dreissen's back which originally carried a Tri-Blade.
When Neo Zeon forces launched its war again the Earth, it rolled out a number of new mobile suits designed for ground combat and one of them is the AMX-009 Dreissen. Although initially produced in small numbers for combat on Earth, the Dreissen's excellent performance and adaptability proved it to be a popular and versatile mobile suit, and it was soon mass-produced for both ground and space combat for the rest of the war.
The Dreissen is first seen aboard the Sadalahn-class battleship and is piloted by Rakan Dahkaran, commander of the Mindra. During the AEUG's first attempt at disrupting Neo-Zeon's invasion of Earth, Rakan Dahkaran used his Dreissen and battled against Judau Ashta's MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam, proving how formidable the Dreissen is in close combat. However Judau's growing skill and the ZZ Gundam's power eventually overwhelmed the Dreissen. Though the Dreissen was destroyed, Rakan Dahkaran managed to escape death.
Shortly after, the Dreissen would be put into full mass production and this mobile suit would participate in future battles of the First Neo Zeon War. Near the end of the war, a large number of Dreissens would be taken and used by Glemy Toto's faction during the brief civil war amongst the Neo Zeon's forces. These machines would be repainted with a gray color scheme.
Almost a decade later, in UC 0096, surviving Dreissens would be used by the newest Neo-Zeon Movement "The Sleeves". These units would be repainted into a new color scheme and given the distinctive markings featured on many of the mobile suits used by The Sleeves. Some of these units were seen deployed by The Sleeves during the Federation's attack on Palau. One Dreissen used by veteran pilot Samuel engaged in combat with the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam. However, it is ultimately destroyed by the Unicorn's beam gatling gun.
Notes & Trivia
|UC 0096 Last Sun Mechanics|
FA-00100S Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai | FA-007GIII Full Armor Gundam Mk-III | MSN-001A1 Delta Plus | MSN-001X Gundam Delta Kai | MSZ-009BX Prototype ZZ Gundam (NITRO) | RGM-86R GM III | RGM-89S Stark Jegan | RIX-00PT GF-Tank | RIX-001 Gundam G-First | RIX-001［GA］ Gundam G-First-DX | RIX-003 Cannongan | RIX-003［GA］ Cannongan-DX | RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee | RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 03 Phenex
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Neo Zeon | Zeon Remnants|
| Mobile Suit|
AMS-129 Geara Zulu | AMX-009 Dreissen | AMX-014 Döven Wolf | AMX-107 Bawoo | AMX-107R Rebawoo | ATMS-09R Zuom | MS-05B Zaku I (Darmac Barlow Use) | MS-06F Zaku II | RMS-119 EWAC Zack
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Garencieres | Musai-class