AMX-011 Zaku III
|Developed from||MS-06R-3S High Mobility Type Zaku|
|First Seen||0088 U.C.|
|Known Pilots||Rakan Dahkaran|
|Overall Height||23.9 meters78.412 ft |
|Head Height||21 meters68.898 ft |
|Max Weight||68.3 metric tons|
|Standard Weight||44.2 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor|
|Power Output||2150 kW2,883.197 hp|
|Sensor Range||9700 meters31,824.147 ft|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only (in panoramic monitor/linear seat cockpit in torso)|
|Max Acceleration||2.53 G|
|Rocket Thrusters||2 x 28400 kg62,611.265 lb |
Technology & Combat Characteristics
As a descendant of the Zaku series of mobile suits the Zaku III was designed to be highly versatile, being able to perform just about any mission role. Though a part of the Zaku series the Zaku III is a big step up from the venerable MS-06 Zaku II, possessing over twice the power output, three times the sensor range, and four times the thruster acceleration, not to mention the various new beam weapons it wielded. Though not the highest performing mobile suit designed by Neo Zeon the Zaku III could still outperform most Federation fielded mobile suits.
- Mouth Beam Gun
- Each Zaku III possesses a fixed beam gun mounted in the "mouth" of the mobile suit. Power rating of 1.6 MW
- Beam Gun/Beam Saber
- Mounted on recharge racks on the front skirt armor and hand operated in use, these weapons possess two modes, a close combat beam saber mode and a long range beam gun mode. Both modes have a power rating of 2.8 MW.
- Beam Rifle
- Heat Bayonet
- Optional Shield/Weapons Rack
- Unlike the previous Zaku II the Zaku III's shoulder mounted shield is optional equipment, though it was standard practice to install one. Also unlike the Zaku II the shield of the Zaku III doubled as a weapons rack to store extra armaments.
Special Equipment & Features
- Optional Backpack
- The Zaku III can be fitted with an optional backpack, providing additional thrusters and a pair of external propellant tanks to offset its additional consumption of fuel.
- External Propellant Tanks
- The optional backpack can equip a pair of external propellant tanks to increase its operating time.
As the First Neo Zeon War raged on, the Neo Zeon military continued its development of new and more powerful mobile suits. Two competing designs were produced as potential new mass-production front-line units: the AMX-011 Zaku III and the AMX-014 Doven Wolf. The intention of the Zaku III's design was that it would be a new descendant of the old Principality of Zeon's venerable (and highly versatile) MS-05 Zaku and MS-06 Zaku II lines, acting as a symbol for the restoration of the ideals and power of Zeon that Axis Zeon wished to present. The Zaku III featured a modular construction design, enabling armor, the backpack, and other components to be changed out and customized depending on the mission. Despite its high performance and versatility, however, the Zaku III design lost out to the more powerful Doven-Wolf. As a result, the Zaku III saw only limited production.
One of these prototypes would be piloted by the captain of the Endra and mobile suit pilot Mashymre Cello who would outfit his Zaku III with various optional equipment which would lead the machine to be called the AMX-011S Zaku III Custom.
The Zaku III mobile suits served during the brief Zeon Civil War that occurred during the end of the First Neo Zeon War, being piloted by Haman Karn loyalists. The Zaku III proved itself quite successful against the seemingly more powerful mobile suits being used by Glemy Toto's forces, especially against its former rival, the AMX-014 Doven Wolf.