The AMX-018[HADES] Todesritter is a customized mobile suit that is featured in the video game Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Missing Link.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The AMX-018[HADES] Todesritter is a high performance mobile suit used by the Neo Zeon in U.C. 0090. It is made from the wreckage of the RX-80PR Pale Rider. The Pale Rider, which is a first-generation machine made in the One Year War using a semi-monocoque construction was refurbished with a Movable Frame and other technologies used by second-generation machines and later. The unit was also armed with more contemporary Axis weaponry and technologies from the Federation's Augusta Newtype Research Institute which allowed the mobile suit to be comparable to third-generation mobile suits used in the first Neo Zeon conflict, and the then brewing second Neo Zeon conflict. The HADES, which is stored in a black-box inside the head unit, was left untouched by the Neo Zeon.
Its backpack is equipped with six verniers and a sub-generator. It can also be connected with two propellant tanks for extended operating time. It is also equipped with a pair of huge hyper beam sabers which are used by the connected Sub-Arms. It also has a pair of rear binders which serve as thrusters and as a weapon rack for the INCOMs and Tri-Blades.
- Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits that are descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series. These head mounted shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire, but have little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits; however, the vulcan gun can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. These weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- Machine Cannon
- Located in the chest, these shell firing weapons use higher caliber rounds than standard vulcans. This gives the weapon higher penetration ability than vulcans and as such makes it better suited to damage a mobile suit.
- Beam Saber/Beam Gun
- Beam sabers use Minovsky particles held in place by an I-Field to form an effective cutting surface that can slice through nearly any material. The particles for the beam sabers are stored by E-cap in the hilt of the saber, which is recharged from the mobile suit's reactor when the saber is returned to its socket. Once activated, beam sabers do not rely on the mobile suit's reactor and can be thrown or discarded as decoys. The beam saber is most often used for close range combat or as an emergency weapon once all other ammunition has been depleted. The Todesritter is equipped with two beam sabers, located in the forearms, which also doubles as beam guns for use in ranged combat.
- Hyper Beam Saber
- The hyper beam saber is a cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The hyper beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The handle of a hyper beam saber is larger than most standard produced beam sabers, and is capable of emitting a larger, more powerful blade. The Todesritter is equipped with two hyper beam sabers, which are used by the Sub-Arms when in combat and stored in the rear of the mobile suit when not in use.
- A remote weapon designed for use with a quasi-psycommu system seen in the AMX-014 Döven Wolf but is now handled by the HADES in the Todesritter. These disc-shaped devices are armed with internal beam guns and controlled via wire cables. Every time an INCOM changes its flight direction, it deploys a tiny relay INCOM to hold the wire in place and maintain its connection to its parent mobile suit. When the pilot recalls the INCOM, it retraces its course as the wire is retracted.
- Beam Gun
- Each INCOM remote weapon mounts a single beam gun with a power rating of 4.5 MW. Because of limitations the wires cannot supply enough power to allow the beam gun to be continually used. After a set number of shots the INCOM must be recalled so that the beam gun can be recharged.
- The Todesritter is equipped with 6 Tri-Blades. Originally used by the AMX-009 Dreissen, this throwing weapon has three high-speed rotating blades and can move towards its target using the single vernier mounted at the bottom. Unlike the Dreissen's Tri-Blades, the Todesritter's Tri-Blades are mounted on the INCOM's main disc which allows it to have more flexibility through the use of wire guidance, trajectory shifts with INCOM relays, and mixed attacks with the INCOM's onboard Beam Gun. This also makes it easier to recall the weapon back into the mobile suit.
- Hyper Knuckle Buster
- Originally used by the AMX-008 Ga-Zowmn, the hyper knuckle buster is a high-powered long-range beam cannon, it has a power rating of 4.1 MW and is powered by a rechargeable energy cap.
- The Todesritter is equipped with the shield that was originally used by the AMX-107 Bawoo. It is armed with 5 fire-linked, mega particle guns in the center.
Special Equipment & Features
- An acronym for HYPER ANIMOSITY DETECT ESTIMATE SYSTEM. It is a controversial system which seems to be similar to the earlier developed EXAM System. The HADES was created by the Augusta Newtype Lab with the data they requested from Chlust Moses regarding the EXAM system. As with the EXAM system, the HADES provides a temporary increase in equipped mobile suit's performance along with increased reaction times to the pilot. This strengthening of the pilot's abilities is done by forcibly increasing and speeding up the neurotransmissions in the pilot's brain. This process however leads to the side effect of gradual memory loss. Akin to the EXAM system's aggression and tendency to go berserk, the HADES can activate without the pilot's consent when it detects a perceived threat, regardless of it being an ally or foe. When under the influence of the system, the mobile suit's visor glows red and all of its exhaust vents glow yellow.
- A pair of extending mechanical arms located in the back of the mobile suit. It is typically used by the Todesritter to utilize the hyper beam sabers in combat.
The Marchosias unit successfully stopped and captured, through great effort, a RX-80PR Pale Rider unit in the late stages of the OYW. This unit was sent back to Axis and was customized heavily using equipment from many other Axis mobile suits. The unit, now designated as the AMX-018[HADES] Todesritter, was once again seen in the battlefield on the year U.C. 0090 under the banner of Char's Neo Zeon facing off against the Glemy Faction Remnants.
The Todesritter's pilot is Chloe Croce, who was also the pilot of the original unit, the Pale Rider. Due to past experimentation from Augusta Newtype Lab and the side effects from the continued usage of the HADES, she suffers from mild cognitive impairment and memory loss. Now working for the Neo Zeon along with Vincent Gleissner, she soon encounters Annerose Rosenheim in a red NZ-000 Queen Mansa. Together with Vincent Gleissner in his AMS-119 Geara Doga and Travis Kirkland in his MSZ-008 ZII, Annerose started to attack them, blaming Vincent, former captain of the Marchosias unit and Chloe, former pilot of the RX-80PR Pale Rider for the death of Albert Bell along with most of the Marchosias unit during the battle of A Baoa Qu. The battle ended with the mutual destruction of the Queen Mansa and the Todesritter. Chloe and Annerose, who finally came to terms with their pasts, both ejected and were rescued by Vincent and Travis.
Notes and Trivia
- The unit's name, "Todesritter", is German for "Death Knight". This is also a reference to the base unit's namesake, the Pale Rider, which is also sometimes called as the "Todesritter" in German.