The AMX-103 Hamma Hamma is a prototype space mobile suit built during the First Neo Zeon War as a testbed for the Quasi-Psycommu system. It was first featured in the anime Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ and was piloted by Mashymre Cello.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Neo Zeon's intent of conquering the Earth Sphere in 0088 UC urged the development of several prototype units implemented with different advanced warfare technologies. Among them was the AMX-103 Hamma Hamma, which employed a quasi-Psycommu System. It is built with detachable wire-guided claw hands, each armed with a 3 barreled beam guns. The standard weapons were limited to these remote-controlled weaponry to accommodate large portion of its reactor power to its numerous thrusters for improved mobility. To compensate for this, a shield with its own power generator, was added to the design. The shield could power up different armaments mounted on it, including beam guns, a pair of beam sabers, and a space mine launcher.
- Wire-Guided 3-Barrel Beam Gun/Claw
- The Hamma Hamma mounts a 3-barrel beam gun in the palm of both of its claw like hands. These beam guns are the Hamma Hamma's primary weapons and are the only weapons that draw power directly from the mobile suit's power generator. The weapons were designed to test the Quasi-Psycommu system and can launch from the Hamma Hamma's arms, controlled via wires that keep the beam guns powered. However, the Quasi-Psycommu system was ineffective and failed to give the Hamma Hamma the all range attack that the designs said it would have due to the limited length of the wires. But the six beam barrels had a power output of 3.1 MW, meaning it still had a decent amount of firepower at its disposal.
- Like most mobile suits, the Hamma Hamma could be equipped with an optional shield to increase it defense. However, unlike most other shields, the Hamma Hamma's mounted an independent power generator which was used to power several built-in weapons.
- Beam Gun
- One of the weapons mounted in the Hamma Hamma's shield are three fire-linked beam guns with a power rating of 1.8 MW each, which is more than enough power to obliterate the gundarium alloy used to make the Zeta Gundam's head, but is far less effective against the armor of the MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam.
- Beam Saber
- The Hamma Hamma's shield serves as a recharge rack for two beam sabers that are hand carried when used and have a power rating of 0.74 MW each.
- Space Mine Launcher
- The third and final weapon mounted on the Hamma Hamma's shield is a space mine launcher that carries eight rounds.
Special Equipment & Features
- Quasi-Psycommu System
- The quasi-psycommu was a computer control system designed to allow non-Newtype pilots to operate wire-guided remote weapons and conduct all-range attacks in a fashion similar to Newtype-use mobile weapons equipped with a standard Psycommu system. The development of this system was a major project for Neo Zeon's war efforts. Rather than sending and receiving data via thought waves as in a true Psycommu system, the Quasi-Psycommu system continually samples the pilot's electrical brainwaves, allowing the pilot to communicate specific instructions almost instantaneously. This system permits the use of simple remote weapons like INCOMs, but even with computer support, these devices are only capable of two-dimensional movement. The system built into the Hamma Hamma would prove to be a failure, but it would later be perfected and incorporated into new mass produced mobile suits.
Initially, only one prototype Hamma Hamma was in use, assigned to Mashymre Cello's Endra-class cruiser, which was tasked with recruiting new allies among the citizens of Side 1's Shangri-La colony and destroying the AEUG's sole remaining battleship, the Argama. Although Mashymre failed in his mission, his use of the Hamma Hamma proved its effectiveness as a fast and agile unit... and the shortcomings of its experimental Quasi-Psycommu system. As such, Mashymre could only use the Hamma Hamma's wire-guided arms as simple direct-fire, launch-and-retrieve weapons or extendable grappling hands, unable to carry out the simulated all-range attacks intended to be made possible by the Quasi-Psycommu System.
Despite its shortcomings, the Hamma Hamma was still a powerful mobile suit, managing to heavily damage the AEUG's MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam, even destroying its head. Though at the time the, Zeta Gundam was being piloted by an inexperienced pilot who was also fighting against Chara Soon in her AMX-104 R-Jarja at the same time. Though the Hamma Hamma mobile suit could battle the Zeta Gundam on more or less even terms, it was forced to retreat against the more powerful MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam, the Zeta Gundam's successor.
As it was, the Hamma Hamma never made it past the prototype stage and onto the hoped-for mass production lines. However, the Quasi-Psycommu technology would later be perfected and incorporated into a later mass-produced Neo Zeon mobile suits, including the AMX-014 Döven Wolf.
Notes & Trivia
- In Gundam: The Battle Master 2, Hamma Hamma was one of the playable suits but when it was localized as the first Gundam Battle Assault game overseas, it was replaced by Wing Gundam, which was essentially a clone of another suit featured in the game, the Zeta Gundam.
- In Gundam Battle Assault 2, Hamma Hamma can only be played by using a Gameshark cheat device. It is also very improper that the Hamma Hamma is piloted by Domon Kasshu in the game.
- Hamma Hamma is a playable unit in Gundam Vs Gundam Next Plus. It is the only unit in the game with an idle animation; pulling out a rose in praise to Haman (an obvious nod toward its pilot).
- In the game Gihren's Greed, if Mashymre joins with the Glemy Faction, his Hamma Hamma will be repainted gray.