Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed from the AMX-117L Gaz-L after the first Neo Zeon War, the Gaz-L Grau is an enhanced space-use mobile suit designated to protected the first leader of Neo Zeon alongside its twin unit, the AMX-117RG Gaz-R Grau and they are stationed at the Neo Zeon base in Atalant 3.
The Gaz-L Grau features a brand new silver and gray color scheme over its predecessor, in which its distinctive large flared armor on its left shoulder is replaced by a 6-tube Special Missile Pod for ranged attack. Its right shoulder is also equipped with a shield to enhance protection. The backpack-mounted Large Beam Sabers/Beam Cannons of Gaz-L are replaced by the regular Beam Sabers. Like the Gaz-L, the Gaz-L Grau is also equipped with Beam Rifle and Heat Lance for versatile ranged and close-quarter attacks.
- Beam Saber
- Like the original Gaz-L, the Gaz-L Grau carries a pair of Beam Sabers with the power rating of 0.4 MW stored inside the left forearm armor. An additional pair of Beam Sabers replace the Gaz-L's backpack-mounted Large Beam Sabers/Beam Cannons, makes it a total of 4 Beam Sabers for close-quarter combats. Similar to the Gaz-L's Beam Saber, The hilt of the Gaz-L Grau's Beam Saber can be combined to form a Twin Beam Sword, or Beam Niginata.
- 6-tube Special Missile Pod
- For Gaz-L Grau, the large flared left shoulder armor of Gaz-L is replaced by a 6-tube Special Missile Pod, which was installed with a mono-eye sensor for better target tracking. The missile warheads are IC-controlled to facilitate time-difference attack.
- Heat Lance
- As their name implies the heat lance rely on the technology, first developed by the Principality of Zeon, of using thermal energy to heat up a metal blade to super-high temperatures. The high heat allows the lance to begin melting the enemies armor on contact, which when combined with the force applied to the attack, can inflict significant damage. Because the heat lance do not have the range or the power of the beam saber the pilot is required to be more precise in their use, relying more on skill than technology.
- Beam Rifle
- The main long-range armament of the Gaz-L Grau. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The Gaz-L Grau's Beam Rifle is similar to the one used by Gaz-L and is powered by a rechargeable energy cap.
- The Gaz-L Grau has a shield equipped on its right shoulder which serves as a protective device as well as weapon rack. Its design is similar to the one used by RMS-117 Galbaldy β.
Notes and Trivia
- "Grau" is the German word for "gray".