Design & Development
As the ASW-G-08 Gundam Barbatos fought many battles with its pilot Mikazuki Augus, it became too damaged to be repaired. It was then temporarily left with the MS Workshop in Saisei, the home base of Teiwaz, and received an overhaul. Frame parts in the arm and leg joints were changed to those reproduced by Teiwaz, this helps to resolve the accumulated damages and also improved their movability.
Using Mikazuki's combat data, the mobile suit's reaction speed and mobility were increased, and adjustments are made through the Alaya-Vijnana System to deepen the link between the machine's movement and the pilot's own senses. As a result, the Gundam Frame's response rate was adjusted to match with the speed that Mikazuki senses. The suit's armaments were also rebuilt to fit Mikazuki's fighting style, and while its body armor is light, it is designed to most effectively fend off the impacts of being shot by a greater use of curved surfaces. Since Mikazuki prefers close combat, reducing damage sustained until he gets close to the opponent is a major issue. The name "Lupus" was given by the Saisei's Chief Mechanic, who was also responsible for the mobile suit's maintenance.
- A heavy, close combat weapon developed by Teiwaz's technicians for Barbatos Lupus, its shape is designed to avoid hampering the MS' mobility.
- 200mm Gun
- Mounted on forearms, the gun barrel faces backward when not in use and rotates forward when in use. The recoil when fired is absorbed by the weapon's rail slide, minimizing the effect on the control of the MS. Close combat weapons can be held in hand while the 200mm Gun is equipped.
- Twin Mace
- The main weapon for Barbatos Lupus used in a melee.
- Arm Rocket Launcher
- Close to mid-range shooting weapons. Like the 200mm gun, they are mounted on the forearms, and face backwards when not in use and rotates forward when used. Close combat weapon can be held in hand while the launchers are equipped.
- New Sword
- A sword forged by the MS workshop in Saisei for Barbatos Lupus' use. Its blade is made of the same rare alloy as that used in mobile suit's frames, and in the hands of the right pilot, it can bisect a mobile suit. Not used in the anime.
- Valkyrja Buster Sword
- Borrowed from the V08Re-0526 Helmwige Reincar, it is a large sword that exceeds the mobile suit’s height, and was designed for use against mobile armors.
- Backpack Arm
- Like the original Barbatos, Barbatos Lupus has a pair of Backpack Arms on its back to mount weapons. They also contain a hidden claw each that can used for attacks.
- Alaya-Vijnana System
- The cable connecting the pilot to the machine's Alaya-Vijnana system is lengthen and can be extended out of the cockpit. This is to assist Mikazuki who has lost sensation in his right arm.
Gundam Barbatos Lupus was first deployed during the defense of a half-metal mine run by Kudelia Aina Bernstein's Admoss Company. It aided the other Tekkadan's Mobile Suits, the Shiden and Shiden Custom, in repealing the attack of the Dawn Horizon Corps' Garm Rodi forces. After forcing the enemy to withdraw, the Barbatos Lupus stopped working due to an impact received from a hard landing earlier.
Later it was deployed to fight off the Dawn Horizon Corps in space, destroying multiple Garm Rodis and eventually defeating the Hugo used by the group's leader Sandoval Reuters, leading to his capture by Mikazuki.
During the Arbrau-SAU war, it was deployed alongside Gundam Gusion Rebake Full City and some Shidens to aid Tekkadan's Earth Branch and protected McGillis during the conflict. During a later battle in the same war, it rescued a shocked and inexperienced Hush Middy from a Geirail Scharfrichter.
The Barbatos Lupus was severely damaged in the battle against Hashmal, a mobile armor from the Calamity War era. It was then sent back to Saisei for an overhaul, and was upgraded into the ASW-G-08 Gundam Barbatos Lupus Rex.
Before the damaged Barbatos Lupus was sent to Saisei, a group picture of Tekkadan was taken in front of it. A copy of this photo was seen years later in the house where Akatsuki and Atra Mixta live in.
Notes & Trivia
- Barbatos is the 8th demon of the Ars Goetia.
- The word 'Barbatos' is derived from the latin "barbatus" which means bearded. The Ars Goetia demon is often depicted with a beard, and this is reflected on the suit via the red chin piece.
- "Lupus" is Latin for "wolf".
- With its Alaya-Vijnana System's safety limiter removed, Barbatos Lupus' eyes glows a blood red. This may pay homage to the EXAM System, where mobile suits utilizing this system will have red eyes if the system is activated.
- Barbatos Lupus' battle with Hashmal maybe a reference to the biblical confrontation between demons and angels. From another point of view, it could look like a regal knight combating a dangerous monster.
- An image similar to the sigil of the demon, Barbatos, can be seen on the console upon activation.
- With the same happening to the ASW-G-01 Gundam Bael, it can be assumed that all Gundam Frames would have sigils on their consoles upon activation.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 HGIBO 1/144 Gundam Barbatos Lupus manual(Official English translation)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 1/100 Gundam Barbatos Lupus manual
- ↑ HGIBA 1/144 Option Set 5 box text(Official English translation)
- ↑ HGIBA 1/144 Option Set 6 box text
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 HGIBO 1/144 Hashmal manual