Assault Container is a tactical armed carrier in Mobile Suit Gundam 00.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Assault Container is an MS assault carrier; its primary function is to transport the Gundams and GN Arms. The unit itself is powered by GN Particles and has a storage tank for reserve power; however, it requires a GN Drive to fully power and to utilize its full potential. While the unit is a form of MS transportation, it also serves as an auxiliary support unit in combat situations.
The rear section of the unit has a hatch that opens to allow docking with the Gundam and GN Arms. During docking, the Gundam must enter first to interface with the container's power systems. The GN Arms then follows and incorporates its rear thrusters as part of the container's overall propulsion system when fully docked. The ship was designed for atmospheric exit and re-entry, this eliminates the Gundam's weakness of returning to Ptolemy without a covert orbital elevator ride to return to space. The outer hull has similar defensive capabilities like a GN Shield, tough and heat resistant. GN Particle vents are built throughout the external frame for generating a GN Field for advance defensive shielding; the field can be used to amplify the container's physical power to charge though the Earth's atmosphere and against enemy targets.
Internally, the container has its own 2-seat bridge and enough space to accommodate a small crew. From there, the pilot has full control with propulsion, navigation, and weapons systems. When the GN Arms is docked, the cockpit is connected to the container bridge by the pilot's seat. When the pilot needs to leave the container, a lever will deliver the pilot back into GN Arms. The ship itself has a GN Drive docking port, designed to dock into the cone for siphoning its particles. If the Gundam itself is damaged, CB engineers can refit the GN Drive itself with particle cables to power the container.
For weapons, the container is armed with 2 GN Beam Cannons, 2 GN Beam Guns, and 8 missile tubes (3 GN Missile in each tube, totaling 24). The cannons' design and firepower are similarly built like the GN Arms. When fully armed, docked, and charged, the container has enough defensive and offensive power to take on an entire MS force. Though not shown, it's overall combat capabilities can likely be enhanced with Trans-Am through the GN Drive.
The container was designed not only to support the Gundams in combat and transportation, it also serves as a combat support unit for CBS-70 Ptolemaios. The ship has 4 MS containers docked to its rotatable MS docking ring. Ptolemy itself has no weapons, but the assault container can be used to replace the MS containers to give it additional offensive and defensive capabilities. Although the Assault Container was proven a worthy asset, only two were ever created. However, its design and combat data was used to create CBS-74 Ptolemaios 2; Ptolemy II has design aesthetics to the container's capabilities. Overall, the Assault Container was a great unit with a short tenure.
- GN Missiles
- As a combat transport vessel, the container is armed with a series missile tubes. It has four 1-Tube GN Missile Launchers and two 2-Tube Missile Launchers, which carry eight GN Missiles in total.
- GN Beam Gun
- As a combat transport vessel, the container is armed with a pair of GN Beam Guns. They are used to engage soft targets and in a defensive capacity.
- GN Beam Cannon
- As a combat transport vessel, the container is armed with a pair of GN Beam Cannons. Their firing rate is higher than the GN Beam Guns, the weapon which also armed by the Assault Container.
- Using the power of the Gundam's GN Drive, the assault container can create a GN Field for defensive purposes, or can even be used as a means to ram targets.
- Trans-Am is actually an ability from the Gundam. The Container can siphon the powers of Trans-Am to power its systems and allow it to perform three times its normal specs. Since the GN Arms and Gundams (second and third generation) have no problem using Trans-Am even though they were designed without knowledge of the system, the same is also likely true for the Assault Container.
Taking Exia to Earth
The Assault Container made its debut during Operation Fallen Angels. Setsuna F. Seiei, the pilot of Gundam Exia, based on the actions of Team Trinity and the formation of the UN Forces, resolves to confirm for himself what the true purpose of the Gundams are, Ptolemaios helmsman Lasse Aeon volunteers to take Exia to Earth with the Assault Container and GN Arms. Setsuna is given the mission of rescuing Team Trinity, who are on the run from the UN's Curse Squadron, and Lasse is given a sub mission of doing a performance test of the GN Arms.
The Assault Container would not be launched until Episode 24. Lasse launches in an Assault Container (loaded with Exia) to destroy Alejandro Corner/Alvatore, while Kyrios and Nadleeh launched from their containers to defend the Ptolemaios. Lasse opens fire on Alejandro with GN Missiles and GN Beam Cannons, but the Alvatore blocks them with a GN Field. With the most recent damage, the ship is unable to raise its own GN Field, and Sumeragi decides to go to the Assault Container to shoot down the Alvatore. Sumeragi and Ian attack Alejandro with its GN Beam Guns, and destroy an GN-X which destroyed the bridge. Lasse and Setsuna continue to fire on the Alvatore to no effect. Lasse rams the assault container into the Alvatore, but the Alvatore's GN field repels them. The Alvatore's arms then grapple onto the assault container, which destroyed the Container. In A.D. 2312, the Assault Container is no longer used by Celestial Being as the new Mothership CBS-74 Ptolemaios 2 is an overall improved version with as a capable, self-reliant ship.
Notes & Trivia
- The Assault Container is one of the rare units made by CB that doesn't have any classification; it's not part of the GNR series.
Articles & References