Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The CBNGN-003 Union Flag Celestial Being Version (aka Flag Kai) is a specialized Flag upgraded with GN technology by Celestial Being. It is briefly featured in the anime film Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie: A wakening of the Trailblazer. The unit is piloted by Setsuna F. Seiei.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
With the advent of the GN-X series, most older mobile weapons had quickly fell into obsolescence and almost uselessness. Over time, they began to find their way into the hands of third-party users and civilian contractors. After the battle with the Innovators, Celestial Being acquired and/or revived a series of such older generation mobile suits (MSs) as they now preferred to maintain peace incognito. One such unit was a SVMS-01AP Union Flag Orbit Package Colony Guard Type (Colony Guard Flag for short).
The remodeled Flag is designed for high-speed melee combat. In order to maintain the goal of anonymity, most of its overall physical layout remains unchanged. It can still transform between a fighter mode and MS mode to allow the pilot to adapt effectively to changing combat situations. It also retains its original Flag series arms and the Orbit package's trademark grapple arms. The unit was not even modified to use a GN Drive or GN Condensers for power, a factor denoted by the 'NGN' (Non-GN) designation. It also lacks modern defenses to stand against particle-based weaponry. The Flag Kai depends heavily on its high-speed plasma thrusters and the skills of its pilot to overtake superior MS opponents in combat. Internally, Celestial Being engineers modernized the computer systems, however, the full extent of the upgrades are undefined. The Flag Kai was fitted with two cockpits, one at the torso, the other at the chest cavity.
To close the gap on modern MS weaponry, the Flag Kai's offensive capabilities was upgraded. The standard linear rifle has been replaced by the GN Sword II Kai (a variant of the GN Sword II from GN-0000 00 Gundam) and its missiles have been replaced with GN Smokescreen Missiles. The sword is fixed as the "nose" of the craft in fighter mode, allowing it to dogfight via the pair of guns mounted on the top and bottom sections of the blade. If necessary, the sword can be used as a ramming device. In MS mode the sword is hand-carried, again alternating between sword and gun for melee combat or short-to-mid range shooting. The weapon utilizes a GN Condenser to store a limited amount of GN Particles for beam firing. The missiles superficially look like regular missiles, but instead of explosives, they are replaced with a GN Particle infused smokescreen. They are deployed to create a massive particle cloud to blind enemy sensors and allow the pilot to either flank the enemy position or to make a hasty retreat.
Aside from the GN Sword II Kai, the Guard Flag retains its missiles, plasma sword, linear cannon, and its MS legs are likely detachable like its predecessors. The full weapons complement and capabilities of the Flag Kai are unknown. What is clear is that despite the general obsolescence of the Flag series, this particular unit would prove to be quite useful. In the hands of a Innovator Gundam Meister, it would prove more than a match for advanced units like the GN-XIII series.
- GN Sword II Kai
- Developed based on 00 Gundam's GN Sword II. This weapon is placed unit's forward section in flight mode much like the linear rifle on the original Flag. It mounts 2 GN Beam Guns, one on the top and one on the bottom of the sword. They draw power from a small GN Condenser that allows for at least eight shots. It can be used on any non-GN mobile suit.
- GN Beam Gun
- 120mm Linear Cannon
- The unit is equipped with Short Linear Cannons (120mm Caliber) on the shoulders.
- Rocket Launcher Pack
- The Flag Kai is shown to shoot smoke discharging missiles. The smoke is also mixed with GN Particles for added stealth and jamming abilities.
- Plasma Sword
- The Flag Kai features plasma sword in the forearm storage compartments that generate plasma in a sword shape. They are different from the plasma swords of Union Flags in the sense that they do not have a vibroblade incorporated (possibly to give the plasma blade a longer operating time, as they are better suited against GN Beam Sabers). It is also speculated that the Plasma Sword's power output has been substantially improved since 2308, since it is able to cut a relatively advanced GN-XIII with ease.
Special Equipment & Features
- The unit’s main propulsion engine in place of its standard MPD Thruster Pack. For long-distance missions it is fitted with a large plasma booster for high speed propulsion.
Shadow Intervention Operation
During an inspection of a colony construction facility, a space shuttle bearing Marina Ismail, Shirin Bakhtiar and other inspectors came under attack by three GNX-609T GN-XIIIs from the Colony Corporation, intending to silence them. Before their shuttle could be destroyed, Setsuna F. Seiei intervened with the Celestial Being version of the Union Flag. Using the modified Flag to conceal his affiliation with Celestial Being, Setsuna was nonetheless able to destroy the three GN-XIIIs, saving Marina and Shirin from danger. After that, Setsuna retreated from the scene, along with Lockon Stratos, who had infiltrated the shuttle and disarmed the terrorist with a non-fatal bullet wound, via the cruise mode of the Flag Kai.
After their mission was complete, the CB Flag was docked to Ptolemy. The fate of the unit after remain unknown.
Notes & Trivia
- It's Celestial Being's first known non-GN Drive mobile suit.
- It wasn't used in the final battle with the ELS due to the lack of a pilot.