Technology and Combat Characteristics
The Zanzibar-class Kai (CCM-91 Chimaira) is designed for mobile suit transportation, and as such the ship relies on its mobile suits for most of its offensive and defensive power. The CCM-91 Chimaira is functionally equivalent to the Earth Federal Space Force's Pegasus class assault carriers, and fill a similar role in the battlefield. This is also the only Zeon ship class that can undergo atmospheric re-entry and return to space. Unlike the Federation's Pegasus-class ships, the Zanzibar class does not have an integrated Minovsky Craft system, so it must depend on sustained thrust to operate. It was more balanced in terms of weapons, since it was equipped with machinegun turrets for point defense.
The Zanzibar-class Kai (CCM-91 Chimaira) is a regular carrier ship, but the only difference is that it is equipped with a mobile hanger, giving it extra space for more mobile suits. With this mobile hanger, the Zanzibar-class Kai increases its mobile suit capacity.
- 2-barrel Main Gun Turret
- The Zanzibar-class mobile cruiser is equipped with one 2-barrel main gun turret.
- Mega Particle Cannon
- The Zanzibar-class mobile cruiser is equipped with four mega particle cannons.
- Large Missile Launcher
- The Zanzibar-class mobile cruiser is equipped with two large missile launchers for anti-ship combat.
- 2-barrel Machine Gun
- The Zanzibar-class mobile cruiser is equipped with five 2-barrel machine gun turrets.
Special Equipment & Features
- Space Cargo Unit
In U.C. 0079, the Zanzibar-class Kai (CCM-91 Chimaira) was a ship belonging to the Chimera Corps. The army brass ordered the development of the of the Zanzibar-class Kai, in response to the sense of danger from the White Base and the mobile units on board. But the ship was not developed specifically for the Chimera Corps. According to documents, only three Zanzibar-class Kai were built and one was assigned to the elite Chimera Corps. It is said that the other two Zanzibar-class Kai ships were not used during the war. The current status of all Zanzibar-class Kai ships are unknown. At the end of One Year War, many ships have left to Axis but there were no reports of the CCM-91 Chimaira. There were witness seeing a ship in the corridor reef airspace right before the end of the One Year War. However, based on the ship's characteristics, it was not a match.
Notes & Trivia
- The Action Graphic artwork from the MSV-R design entry spells it "Chimaira", which is the correct name. "Chimera" and "Chimaera" are the Latinized versions of this.