Technology and Combat Characteristics
The F70 Cannon Gundam is a prototype support mobile suit developed as part of the Formula project by SNRI with the aim of mass-producing the F90S Gundam F90 Support Type. It is a high performance machine that adopts the universal standard for weapons and can use many of the Earth Federation Forces weapons like the RGM-109 Heavygun's beam sabers. Further design changes led to the creation of the F71 G-Cannon with Anaheim Electronics as an OEM to undertake production of the new unit.
- Vulcan Gun
- The F70 is equipped with a pair of head mounted Vulcan Guns. The purpose of these is to serve as a mid-close range defensive weapon. While it can normally do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit it serves as a much more efficient and cost-effective means to shoot down incoming missiles or lightly-armored targets such as ground combat vehicles or attack helicopters.
- Beam Saber
- Beam Sabers are powerful melee weapons that emit a blade of plasma contained by an I-field that can cut through any physical armor. The only way to fully defend against a beam saber is to block it with another beam saber or a beam shield. Because of the I-field a beam saber can be used to block an attack from a beam rifle, but this is a technique that requires considerable skill, and can only block an attack of so much power. The F70 is equipped with two beam sabers stored in recharge racks.
- Beam Rifle
- The beam rifle is the standard ranged weapon of Earth Federation mobile suits. The technology of the beam rifle allows it to fire a compressed mega particle beam which can penetrate any physical armor, leading to the saying that any mobile suit equipped with a beam rifle had the power of a battleship at its disposal.
- 3-barrel 150mm cannon
- The most identifying weapon of the F70 is the pair of 3-barrel 150mm machine cannons built into the unit's back that rise up over the shoulders. During an age where mobile suit designs were focused on speed over armor the machine cannons form powerful ranged weapons.
- 2-barrel Beam Gun
- The F70 mounts a 2-barrel beam gun in each wrist, which act as back-up weapons that are not used as often as the machine cannons or the beam rifle.
Alongside the F90 Gundam F90, the F70 Cannon Gundam was attached to the 13th Experimental Squadron of the EFSF for field testing purpose.