Technology and Combat Characteristics
The F70 Cannon Gundam is a prototype support mobile suit developed as part of the Formula project by SNRI with the aim of mass-producing the F90S Gundam F90 Support Type. It is a high performance machine that adopts the universal standard for weapons and can use many of the Earth Federation Forces weapons like the RGM-109 Heavygun's beam sabers. Further design changes led to the creation of the F71 G-Cannon with Anaheim Electronics as an OEM to undertake production of the new unit.
- Vulcan Gun
- The F70 is equipped with a pair of head mounted Vulcan Guns to serve as a mid-close range defensive weapon. While they do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit, they are useful for shoot down incoming missiles, small attack vehicles, or to deter closing in enemy machines.
- Beam Saber
- Beam Sabers are powerful melee weapons that emit a blade of plasma contained by an I-field that can cut through any physical armor. The beam saber is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor, and the F70 has two beam sabers in a storage rack.
- Beam Rifle
- The beam rifle is the standard ranged weapon of Earth Federation mobile suits, it fires a compressed mega particle beam which can penetrate any physical armor, leading to the saying that any mobile suit equipped with a beam rifle had the power of a battleship at its disposal.
- 3-barrel 150mm cannon
- The most identifying weapon of the F70 is the pair of 3-barrel 150mm machine cannons built into the unit's back that rise up over the shoulders.
- 2-barrel Beam Gun
- The F70 mounts a 2-barrel beam gun in each wrist, which act as back-up weapons that are not used as often as the machine cannons or the beam rifle.
Alongside the F90 Gundam F90, the F70 Cannon Gundam was attached to the 13th Experimental Squadron of the EFSF for field testing purpose.