Technology & Combat Characteristics
Although manufactured by Anaheim Electronics, the G-Cannon was based on the designs of the F70 Cannon Gundam by SNRI (which works as an OEM for G-Cannon). G-Cannon inherits the ability to remove the back-mounted machine cannons and function as a close combat mobile suit, but its overall performance is still inferior to Cannon Gundam. Nevertheless, this miniaturized mobile suit largely outperforms the Federation's RGM-109 Heavygun, and this is because any features not required for its artillery support role are removed in order to reduce its weight and increase its performance.
G-Cannon also utilizes the weapons system derived from the F90 Gundam Formula 90's mission pack. The machine cannons can be replaced by various equipment including the VSBR, a 200mm long range cannon and beam cannons. The most complex variant is the Powered Weapon Type.
- Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits that are descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series is a pair of head mounted vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power, and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small and lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- Quadruple Machine Cannon
- The most identifying weapon of the F71 G-Cannon is the pair of shell firing quadruple machine cannons mounted on the unit's back that rise up over the shoulders. It is equipped with these rapid firing, medium caliber weapons instead of large caliber cannons in consideration of combat within space colonies. These cannons are also effective in anti-air combat.
- Double Beam Gun
- The F71 G-Cannon mounts a double beam gun on each forearm. These secondary weapons can be fired together with the quadruple machine cannons to deal more damage.
- Beam Saber
- The F71 G-Cannon is equipped with two beam sabers for melee combat. The beam sabers are stored in recharge racks when not in use.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon is the beam rifle. Capable of firing concentrated mega particles, attacks from a beam rifle are can damage any ordinary armor that has not been specially treated to resist it. One of the more effective methods of blocking a beam rifle is to use a beam shield.
- Shields are defensive equipment, essentially large slabs of stylized metal, designed to protect the equipped mobile suit from attacks that cannot be dodged that would otherwise damage or destroy the mobile suit. Shields are typically strong enough to take several explosions from light to medium sized explosives, and are treated with an anti-beam coating to block beam attacks. However as is the nature of physical objects, the shield takes a large amount of stress from the attacks and will only withstand so much punishment before breaking.
The G-Cannon is the first mass production mobile suit derived from SNRI's Formula Project and was first rolled out in April of UC 0115. In combat, it typically serves the role as a fire-support unit for the RGM-109 Heavygun and Jegan mobile suits.
A number of G-Cannons served as part of the Earth Federation Forces' colony defense when the Crossbone Vanguard invaded the colony Frontier IV in UC 0123. However the G-Cannons, as well as all of the Earth Federation's other mobile suits, were overwhelmed by the newer beam-shield equipped mobile suits of the Crossbone Vanguard, though it is unknown if the technology difference was truly that great or if the 30 years of peace hadn't dulled the Earth Federation's piloting standards.
|Mobile Suit Gundam F91 Mechanics|
|Earth Federation Forces/Civilian Militia|
| Mobile Suit|
F71 G-Cannon | F91 Gundam F91 | F-50D Guntank R-44 | RGM-89J Jegan Normal Type | RGM-89M Jegan B-Type | RGM-89R Jegan A-Type | RGM-109 Heavygun | XM-06 Dahgi Iris | XM-07 Vigna Ghina
Armored Buggy | Armored Car | Missile Armored Car | Motorcycle | Wired Missile Car
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Ark-class | Clop-class | Ra Cailum-class | Salamis Kai-class
| Mobile Suit|
XM-01 Den'an Zon | XM-02 Den'an Gei | XM-03 Ebirhu-S | XM-04 Berga Dalas | XM-05 Berga Giros | XM-06 Dahgi Iris | XM-07 Vigna Ghina
| Mobile Armour|
Armored Buggy | Armored Car | Paint Vehicle
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Zamouth Garr-class | Zamouth Giri-class | Zamouth Jeth-class | Zamouth Nada-class
|Jupiter Energy Fleet|
|Transporter / Supply Ship|