Technology & Combat Characteristics
The F90 Gundam F90 Destroid Type is one of the variants developed for the F90 Gundam F90 by Strategic Naval Research Institute between U.C 0110s and 0120s. The F90D Gundam F90 Destroid Type (or "D-Type" for short) is designed to work as a balance between a bulky long-range fire support unit and a lighter and faster close-combat unit. The heavy firepower is provided by its arm-mounted rocket launchers, the rocket-propelled grenades carried on its shoulders, a pair of MS cracker grenades, and the mega Gatling gun mounted on the left side of its torso. When the ammo for these weapons is expended or the D-Type has finished bombarding its target area, these weapons can be ejected and the D-Type F90 can move in, using its more conventional vulcan guns, beam sabers, and beam rifle at close range to perform mop-ups and finish the job.
- Vulcan Gun
- The F90D is equipped with a pair of head-mounted twin-linked Vulcan Guns to serve as a mid-close range defensive weapon. While it can normally do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit it serves as a much more efficient and cost-effective means to shoot down incoming missiles or small lightly-armored targets such as ground combat vehicles or attack helicopters, as opposed to using the beam rifle, the power of which would be over kill and is far more limited in ammunition.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is the standard close-combat melee weapon of mobile suits descended from the RX-78-2 Gundam. It is a powerful weapon that emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-field that can cut through any physical armor. The only way to fully defend against a beam saber is to block it with another beam saber or a beam shield. The F90D is equipped with two beam sabers stored in recharge racks on the backpack.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged weapon of most mobile suits, the beam rifle can fires a compressed mega particle beam which can penetrate any physical armor, leading to the saying that any mobile suit equipped with a beam rifle had the power of a battleship at its disposal. The F90D's beam rifle is powered by a replaceable e-pac and can mount on the waist weapons mount.
- 4-tube Grenade Launcher
- Mounted on each of the F90D's shoulder hardpoint is a 4-tube grenade launcher. These grenades are moderately powerful self-propelling explosives that can deal significant damage to a MS, but are particularly effective against machines with heavy defenses against beam weapons.
- 5-tube Rocket Launcher
- One of the F90D's more unique weapons is a pair of 5-tube grenade launchers built into the mobile suit's forearms. A direct hit from one of the rocket will destroy most MS and deals significant damages to others. Each launcher carries five for a total of ten rockets that the Gundam can use before it needs to reload.
- Mega Multi-barrel Chain Gun
- While beam weapons are the main weapons carried by MS by the early 2nd century U.C, ballistic weapons still found use like in the case of the F90D's Mega Multi-barrel Chain Gun. The firearm is belt-fed and mounted on left side of torso with ammo drum and weapon mount assembly stored on the weapon mount.
- MS Cracker Grenade
- Cracker Grenades, which were first used by the MS-06 Zaku II during One Year War, are explosive weapons designed to be thrown or launched by the MS and detonate after a set amount of time. The "cracker" then breaks into several smaller munitions over a wide area. The F90D carries two such grenades and store them on front skirt armor hardpoints.
- Shields are simple in their design, being essentially thick slabs of metal that the equipped mobile suit can use to absorb the impact from attacks that, for whatever reason, cannot be dodged. However shields can only withstand so much pressure before becoming damaged themselves. As technology progressed it became necessary for shields to be treated with an anti-beam coating as a measure of defense against beam weapons which can normally penetrate any physical barrier, however the coating gets gradually burned away each time a beam strikes it until it is rendered useless.
The F90D Gundam F90D Destroid Type underwent field testing in U.C 120, and it was stationed on Ra Cailum-class Admiral Tianem as part of the 13th Experimental Battle Group. Its pilot was Def Stallion, an employer of the SNRI The Admiral Tianem came into conflict with Mars Zeon during a test flight near Side 4 on October 28. And although the E.F.F emerged victorious in this brief conflict, it costed them both of the F90 Gundam F90 units.
Another Gundam F90 unit was built between U.C 120 and U.C 122, and it participated in the war with the Mars Zeon, who, under the leadership of Charles Rochester and their ally the Crossbone Vanguard, had began in their invasion of Earth. The Gundam F90 unit was piloted by Bergh Scred.
Notes and Trivia