Technology & Combat Characteristics
One of several Gundam F90II optional armament variations developed by the Strategic Naval Research Institute during the early UC 0120s, the F90II-I Gundam F90II Intercept Type (or "I-Type" for short) is designed to not only provide the F90II with additional speed and mobility in space, but also to allow the mobile suit to safely re-enter Earth's atmosphere and perform aerial combat. This is achieved with the aid of a pair of supplemental booster packs mounted on the legs, as well as a large, hand-carried flight shield that also mounts additional rocket thrusters and, when docked with the Gundam, acts as both a waverider-like re-entry shield and a winged lifting body. The I-Type is also armed with a large beam lancer, a beam weapon equivalent of the shot lancer melee weapon developed by the Crossbone Vanguard.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- The F90II-I is equipped with a pair of head-mounted 60mm Vulcan guns, which serve as mid-close range defensive weapons. While they can normally do little damage against the armor of a MS, it is a much more efficient and cost-effective means to shoot down incoming missiles and small, lightly-armored targets such as ground combat vehicles or attack helicopters.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is the standard close-combat melee weapon of MS descended from the RX-78-2 Gundam. They are powerful weapons which emit a blade of plasma contained by an I-field that can cut through any physical armor. The only way to fully defend against a beam saber is to block it with another beam saber or a beam shield. Because of the I-field a beam saber can be used to block an attack from a beam rifle, but this is a technique that requires considerable skill, and can only block an attack of so much power. The F90II-I is equipped with two beam sabers stored in recharge racks on the backpack.
- Beam Lancer
- A close-combat beam weapon inspired by the Shot Lancers found on the MS of Crossbone Vanguard, the Beam Lancer however replaces the solid spearhead with one made out of superheated Minovsky particles, in the same fashion as the blade of a Beam Saber. The Beam Lancer can also be used as a Beam Gun for long-distance firing.
- Flying Shield
- A Flying Shield, which is a further evolution of the Sturm Boosters used by OYW-era MS, is a large shield with built-in thrusters for increasing propulsion purposes. There have been claims of the F90II-I performing atmospheric flight and re-entry at sea. The shield will assume an MA-like form during flight, and when doing so the MS's head is hidden by the shield so as to reduce air resistance.
- Machine Cannon
- The Flying Shield possesses minor offensive capability with a pair of fire-linked Machine Cannons. In the age of miniaturized MS, speed is strongly emphasized over protection, thus armor is sacrificed to reduce mass and weight. This leaves many MS vulnerable to physical round firearms, such as machine guns, which had then been discarded for mobile suit combat because of a lack of effectiveness after the One Year War.
During the aftermath of the batlle between the Earth Federation Forces (EFF) and Mars Zeon, the EFF recovered the remains of the stolen OMS-90R Gundam F90 and sent the unit back to SNRI to be reconstructed. The mobile suit was rebuilt into the improved Gundam F90II, following the concept of optional mission pack versatility of the original Gundam F90 with two new mission pack: The Intercept pack, and the Long Range pack.
Despite being in its basic configuration, the F90II still boasted a significant improvement in its overall performance with additional speed and maneuverability. The F90II served as the first testbed for the revolutionary new Bio-Computer System, a derivative of the Psycommu system which through advanced computations, relayed tactical data directly into the pilot's brain. This system, which not only allowed a new pilot to more easily adapt to the Gundam F90II thereby increasing its handling qualities, it also decreased the pilot's reaction time, it would later be incorporated into the F91 Gundam F91.
The Gundam F90II-I Type is piloted by Nana Tachibana who engaged in combat with Crossbone Vanguard forces in U.C. 0123. The MS however is only used for a short period of time before being out of commision.