The F90II Gundam F90II is a mobile suit that appears in the original design series Mobile Suit Gundam F90.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The F90II Gundam F90II was built from the recovered OMS-90R Gundam F90 by Strategic Naval Research Institute (SNRI). Its speed and maneuverability is significantly higher compared to the original F90 Gundam F90 because of the added thrusters and a more powerful reactor. However, the most notable feature of the F90II Gundam F90II is the prototype Bio-Computer System, which replaces the original A.I System. This psycommu-based system is able to rise the suit's overall capability to an even greater level by increasing the pilot's awareness to the battlefield. However, unlike the F90 Gundam, it only has 7 Hardpoints and two Mission Packs: Type I (Intercept Type) and Type L (Long-Range Type).
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- The F90II is equipped with a pair of head mounted Vulcan guns. The purpose of the Vulcan guns is to serve as a mid-close range defensive weapon. While it can normally do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit it serves as a much more efficient and cost-effective means to shoot down incoming missiles, as opposed to using the beam rifle, the power of which would be over kill and is far more limited in ammunition. The Vulcan guns are an offensive weapon designed to be used against small lightly-armored targets such as ground combat vehicles or attack helicopters.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is the standard close-combat melee weapon of mobile suits descended from the RX-78-2 Gundam. The beam sabers are powerful weapons that emit a blade of plasma contained by an I-field that can cut through any physical armor. The only way to fully defend against a beam saber is to block it with another beam saber or a beam shield. Because of the I-field a beam saber can be used to block an attack from a beam rifle, but this is a technique that requires considerable skill, and can only block an attack of so much power. The F90II is equipped with two beam sabers stored in recharge racks on the backpack.
- Beam Rifle
- The beam rifle is the standard ranged weapon of Earth Federation mobile suits. The technology of the beam rifle allows it to fire a compressed mega particle beam which can penetrate any physical armor, leading to the saying that any mobile suit equipped with a beam rifle had the power of a battleship at its disposal. The F90II's beam rifle is powered by a replaceable e-pac and can mount on the waist weapons mount. The beams of a beam rifle can be blocked by an I-field or a beam shield.
- Shields are simple in their design, being essentially thick slabs of metal that the equipped mobile suit can use to absorb the impact from attacks that, for whatever reason, cannot be dodged. However shields can only withstand so much pressure before becoming damaged themselves. As technology progressed it became necessary for shields to be treated with an anti-beam coating as a measure of defense against beam weapons which can normally penetrate any physical barrier, however the coating gets gradually burned away each time a beam strikes it until it is rendered useless.
Special Equipment & Features
- The F90II is equipped with 7 Hardpoints (lower than 2 points compared to the original F90 Gundam F90) for mounting various external equipment and/or armaments to meet specific needs or combat situations, thus making the F90II an extremely versatile MS and could operate in various conditions.
- Bio-Computer System
- A new kind of man-machine interface. That is functionally a reverse Psycommu system, the Bio-Computer places less strain on its human operator. The Bio-Computer is originally intended to help the disabled, but its development is ultimately funded by the EFF for combat purpose. As its name implies, the Bio-Computer is similar in structure to a human brain, and its operating processes resemble human thoughts and feelings. Rather than merely displaying data on a computer monitor, the Bio-Computer can relay it directly to the pilot in the form of sensory information, so what the machine "feels" can also be experienced by the human operator. However, the full latent potential of this system can only be tapped by a Newtype pilot.
During the aftermath of the Earth Federation Forces (EFF)' battle with the Mars Zeon Army in UC 0120, the EFF recovered the remains of the stolen OMS-90R Gundam F90 and sent the unit back to the SNRI to be reconstructed. The mobile suit was rebuilt into the improved Gundam F90II, following the concept of optional mission pack versatility of the original Gundam F90. Despite being in its basic configuration, the F90II still boasted a significant improvement in its overall performance with additional speed and maneuverability. The F90II served as the first testbed for the revolutionary new Bio-Computer System, a derivative of the Psycommu system which through advanced computations, relayed tactical data directly into the pilot's brain. This system, which not only allowed a new pilot to more easily adapt to the Gundam F90II thereby increasing its handling qualities, it also decreased the pilot's reaction time, it would later be incorporated into the F91 Gundam F91.
Notes and Trivia