Technology & Combat Characteristics
One of many F90 Gundam F90's optional armament variations developed by the Strategic Naval Research Institute between UC 0110s and 0120s, the F90A Gundam F90 Support Type (or "S-Type" for short) is designed to act as a long-range, heavy fire support unit.
Its primary armament is the pair of backpack-mounted railcannons, which are also attached to the shoulders for extra stability while being fired. Additional stability is also provided by a pair of slim, telescoping support legs mounted on the rear skirt armor's weapon mount and which extend from the MS's rear down to the ground. The S-Type also carries a pair of long-range cruise missiles, mounted on launch rails on the legs.
Two four-barrel beam cannons are mounted on its two arms, each of which also has a 2-tube missile launcher attached to them. Because the hands now mount a pair of 4-barrel beam cannons the Gundam is incapable of wielding beam sabers or any other melee-combat weapon, leaving it at a distinct disadvantage in close-range combat.
- Vulcan Guns
- The Gundam F90S is equipped with a pair of head-mounted twin-linked Vulcan Guns to serve as a mid-close range defensive weapon. While it can normally do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit it serves as a much more efficient and cost-effective means to shoot down incoming missiles or small lightly-armored targets such as ground combat vehicles or attack helicopters, as opposed to using the beam rifle, the power of which would be over kill and is far more limited in ammunition.
- 200mm Railcannon
- The pair of 200mm railcannons mounted on the Gundam F90S's shoulders acts as its main weapon. As it uses electromagnetic forces to launch the projectile, railcannons are still destructive even in situations where beam weapons are ineffective.
- 4-barrel Beam Cannon
- Each of the arms of the Gundam F90S mounts a quadruple beam cannon capable of unleashing a torrent of beam fire that would shred any MS into pieces. However, because of how these are mounted, the Gundam is incapable of wielding beam sabers or any other melee-combat weapon, leaving it at a distinct disadvantage in close-range combat.
- 2-tube Missile Launcher
- Each of the beam cannon has a two-tubes missile launcher attached on it. These missiles are moderately powerful self-propelling explosives that can deal significant damage to a MS, but are particularly effective against machines with heavy defenses against beam weapons.
- Cruise Missiles
- One of the F90S's more unique weapons is a pair cruise missles which are mounted with their respective launch rail on the MS's leg. A direct hit from one of the missles will destroy most MS and deals significant damages to others, and not even spaceships will escape unscarthered.
The Gundam F90S Support Type underwent field testing in U.C 120, and it was stationed on Ra Cailum-class Admiral Tianem as part of the 13th Experimental Battle Group. Its pilot was Def Stallion, an employer of the Strategic Naval Research Institute. The Admiral Tianem came into conflict with the Mars Zeon during a test flight near Side 4 on October 28. And although the E.F.F emerged victorious in this brief conflict, it costed them both of the F90 Gundam F90 units.
Notes and Trivia