The F90V Gundam F90 VSBR Type is a mobile suit from the series of Mobile Suit Gundam F90 (1990) model kits and original design series. It also appeared in the videogame of Mobile Suit Gundam Climax U.C..
Technology and Combat characteristics
The F90V Gundam F90 VSBR Type is the Gundam F90 equipped with the VSBR Type equipment. The VSBR Type equipment is designed to improve the Gundam F90's overall combat ability with the addition of two variable speed beam rifles, a mega Gatling gun, an additional beam shield, additional rocket thrusters and verniers, and a more powerful ultracompact Minovsky type fusion reactor. The additional equipment increases the Gundam F90's offensive abilities, defensive abilities, and its speed and mobility. The backpack features a built-in sub-generator that allows simultaneous use of the beam shield and VSBR weapons, both of which require large amounts of energy to function. However, the beam shield may suffer from stability problems depending on the state of the mobile suit. These technical issues would pose a challenge for future development of the VSBR.
Technologically, the F90V Gundam F90 VSBR Type is the prototype for the powerful F91 Gundam F91.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- The F90V VSBR Type is equipped with a pair of head mounted Vulcan guns. The purpose of the Vulcan guns is to serve as a mid-close range defensive weapon. While it can normally do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit it serves as a much more efficient and cost-effective means to shoot down incoming missiles, as opposed to using the beam rifle, the power of which would be over kill and is far more limited in ammunition. The Vulcan guns are an offensive weapon designed to be used against small lightly-armored targets such as ground combat vehicles or attack helicopters.
- VSBR (Variable Speed Beam Rifle)
- The most powerful weapon of Gundam F90 VSBR Type is a new type of beam rifle known as the Variable Speed Beam Rifle, or VSBR for short. Rather than being a hand-carried weapon powered by an energy cap or e-pac, the VSBR is mounted on the mobile suit itself and powered directly by its reactor.
- The pilot could adjust the speed at which the mega particles used in the beam fire were accelerated. Slower-speed particles produced a wider beam that delivered more raw damage, and higher-speed particles create a more tightly focused, penetrating beam. Thus, the F90's pilot could choose to deliver beam damage on a wider area or focused, high-speed shots to penetrate thick armor or even beam shields.
- The VSBR are mounted on F90's backpack. Later, this weapon is also used by its successors, the F91 Gundam F91 and the RXF-91 Silhouette Gundam.
- Mega Gatling Gun
- The F90V VSBR Type's signature weapon, the gatling gun is mounted on the right forearm. This weapon able to take down a thinly armored enemy mobile suit.
- Beam Shield
- The F90 VSBR Type is equipped with a pair of beam shield generators. The first beam shield generator is mounted on the left arm. The second is a spare stored in the right hip armor. Unlike an I-field generator, which is effective only against beam attacks, the beam shield blocks both beam and projectile weapons.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is the standard close-combat melee weapon of mobile suits descended from the RX-78-2 Gundam, which includes the entirety of the Earth Federation Forces mobile suit force. The beam sabers are powerful weapons that emit a blade of plasma contained by an I-field that can cut through any physical armor. The only way to fully defend against a beam saber is to block it with another beam saber or a beam shield. Because of the I-field a beam saber can be used to block an attack from a beam rifle, but this is a technique that requires considerable skill, and can only block an attack of so much power. The F90V VSBR Type is equipped with two beam sabers stored in a recharge rack in the left hip armor.
Special Equipment & Features
- Heat Radiation Fin Packs
Notes and Trivia
- The Gundam F90 VSBR Type appears as a playable unit in Super Robot Wars Alpha 1. It has a combination attack with F91 Gundam F91, where both fire their VBSRs.