Technology & Combat Characteristics
The FA-78-2 Heavy Gundam (Unit 2) still retains the same armaments as the original Heavy Gundam. It is equipped with a shoulder-mounted Shoulder Beam Cannon and a beam saber over the opposite shoulder for use in close combat situations. The Heavy Gundam (Unit 2) is also equipped with several armaments not featured on the original Heavy Gundam which are a beam rifle, a hyper bazooka, and a shield.
When the Heavy Gundam was assigned to Ingrid 0 it did not have a core block system. As its centerpiece, there was enough space to equip a modified Bio-Sensor using Zeon technology and adjusted to her abilities.
- Shoulder Beam Cannon
- Like other MS descended from the FA-78-1 Gundam Full Armor Type, the FA-78-2 has a beam cannon mounted on the right shoulder, which can destroy an MS with a direct hit.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The FA-78-2 is equipped with two beam sabers, that when not in use are stored in the backpack.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard weapon for MS, Beam Rifles make use of E-cap (or "energy capacitor") technology. The rifle uses charged concentrations of Minovsky particles as ammunition. This gives the beam rifle firepower equivalent to that of a battleship's beam cannons. As the Minovsky particles destroy matter on a molecular scale, the beam rifle can penetrate even the thickest armor and destroy its target with a single shot. One weak point of the rifle was its energy limits.
- Hyper Bazooka
- The Hyper Bazooka was a heavy weapon used by the GM. Technically a large rocket launcher it could fire several 360mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition. Most oftenly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- A basic optional arm-mounted defense armament for many mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. The shield used on the FA-78-2 features Mount latch and joint/pivot mount position retracted for protection or extended for slashing or punching attacks, as well as two prongs to be thrusted into the ground to make the shield into an elevated weapon firing position.
- Frame Launcher
- Gatling Gun
- A large Gatling gun with immense firing rate. Drum-fed and stored on the backpack when not in use. While not near as powerful as a beam rifle, the sheer number of bullets flying through the air shred through almost anything, regardless of how durable it is.
- 4-tube Missile Launcher
- These small missiles are not very effective against large ships, but are ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons
Special Equipment & Features
- A technological variant of the Psycommu system developed by Anaheim Electronics. Although its full capabilities are unknown, its primary purpose is to allow a Newtype pilot to more easily interface with his mobile suit via mental commands. The bio-sensor could also have a rather surprising side effect when the pilot was mentally and emotionally focused enough (usually when angry or upset) to cause the bio-sensor to amplify the power, speed, and strength of the mobile suit for a short period of time.
Performance tests with Unit 2 were carried out from July to August of U.C. 0081. While the third Heavy Gundam unit was lost in an atmospheric entry test, the two remaining machines were used in short-term data collection operations by experimental units.
In U.C. 0089, a modified FA-78-2 Heavy Gundam was assigned to Ingrid 0 customized in the same color pattern as Zeon's ace pilot Johnny Ridden. It was first seen deployed in Jaburo fighting against Led Wayline piloting in Johnny Ridden's MS-14B Gelgoog High Mobility Type.