The FA-78-3 Full Armor 7th Gundam first appeared as a part of Kunio Okawara's Missing Mobile Suit Variations (M-MSV). The Gundam was later redesigned and updated and appears in the video game Mobile Suit Gundam: Battlefield Record U.C. 0081.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The FA-78-3 Full Armor 7th Gundam is the armor-equipped space combat version of the RX-78-7 7th Gundam. Unlike the previous FA-78-1 Full Armor Gundam, the Full Armor 7th Gundam is able to fight without any drop in performance. This is accomplished with the addition of sub generators and propellant tanks in the Full Armor components. The emphasis of the Full Armor components is offensive power rather than defensive power. This is reflected in the armaments, which include vulcan guns, beam sabers, hand beam guns and a beam shot cannon. However, since the One Year War ends with only the 7th Gundam's basic frame being completed, the Full Armor components are never built. Incidentally, the name does not mean "Full Armor Gundam #7" but rather "Gundam #7 Full Armor parts." There are only two previous Full Armor Gundams: the FA-78-1 Gundam Full Armor Type and the FA-78-2 Heavy Gundam.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, these shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The FA-78-3 is equipped with two beam saber stored in recharge racks located in the backpack. One can be used as a reserve weapon, or both can be used simultaneously in a twin sword fashion.
- Hand Beam Spray Gun
- Long Range Beam Cannon
- 4-tube Missile Pod
- 3-tube Missile Pod
- Beam Rifle
- A revolutionary weapon for its time, the beam rifle is the primary weapon used by the Gundam. Making use of the Federations E-cap (or "energy capacitor") technology, the rifle uses charged concentrations of Minovsky particles as ammunition. This gives the beam rifle firepower equivalent to that of a battleship's beam cannons. As the Minovsky particles destroy matter on a molecular scale, the beam rifle can penetrate even the thickest armor and destroy its target with a single shot. One weak point of the rifle was its energy limits. The rifle could only be fired a certain number of times before depleting its energy and becoming useless.
- Hyper Bazooka
- Technically a large rocket launcher it could fire several 380mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor can stop this weapon. While very powerful the Hyper Bazooka had a slow rate of fire and fairly little of ammunition. Most oftenly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- Hand-carried, forearm-mounted or stored on the Gundam's backpack, the shield is a simple defense used to block most incoming ballistic and explosive projectiles. Also used to great effect in close quarters battle with enemy mobile suits. Has a view port than can be sealed off with an internal blast plate.
- Beam Spray Gun
- Grenade Launcher
- A pair of grenade launchers could optionally be equipped onto the mobile suit's forearms. These grenades are not very effective against large ships, but are ideal mid-range anti-mobile suit weapons.