Technology & Combat Characteristics
Anaheim Electronics planned to improve the RX-93 ν Gundam by equipping it with the F.S.W.S (Full-armor System and Weapon System), which included removable Chobham armor to increase its protection and includes two shoulder missile pods that flank either side of the head. The ν Gundam's shield is now equipped with additional weaponry in the form of a pair of mega particle cannons, while the hyper mega rifle also increased the firepower of ν Gundam. However, the Heavy Weapon System plan was never completed due to ν Gundam's rushed deployment and eventual MIA status. It should be noted that the missile launcher components of the v Gundam HWS type are improved versions of the ZZ Gundam's missile launchers.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, these shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The ν Gundam has a standard-issue beam saber stored on its left forearm, which can be drawn quickly to attack enemies in close range. Compared to earlier models, it is more energy efficient due to the 'Auto Power On' feature, which enables the saber to instantaneously generate a beam blade only during moments of impact with enemy suits.
- Large Beam Saber
- Stored on the backpack, it presumably has a higher power rating (0.85 MW) than the beam saber stored on the left forearm and is used more often. The large beam saber's pommel is capable of emitting a short beam blade on its end, but it is never seen used.
- Beam Rifle
- A high-powered beam rifle with a output of 3.8MW. At maximum output, the beam fired is comparable in power to that of a battleship-class main cannon from the same time period. Can also function as a beam machine gun.
- New Hyper Bazooka
- The ν Gundam is armed with a 280mm five round magazine hyper bazooka that has improved firing range and destructive power compared to the Hyper Bazooka used by other Earth Federation MS. The bazooka can be fired even when stored on the backpack, catching the opponent by surprise. It is capable of destroying an enemy unit in a single shot and is mostly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- Hyper Mega Rifle
- The most powerful beam weapon of the suit, at its maximum output, the Hyper Mega Rifle's power is comparable to that of several battleship-class mega particle cannons. This weapon also supported ultra-long-range sniping and featured a bipod for precision firing. A sensor built into the rifle adjusts the power output according to the target's distance, and could be controlled via the mobile suit's psycoframe system.
- High Mega Shield
- The ν Gundam's shield with a pair of mega particle cannons mounted on top. These cannons' firepower is comparable to that of the ZZ Gundam's High Mega Cannon. The High Mega Shield also retains the other weaponry of the original shield.
- Mega Particle Cannon
- Beam Cannon
- Small Missile
- Shoulder Missile Launcher
- An improved version of the multi-use launchers that were widely used in the Gryps Conflict, the Missile Launchers mounted on the shoulders of the H.W.S. can use a wide variety of munitions. During the conceptualisation stage, the launcher was supposed to be fitted with Psycommu Grenades, a weapon in which its trajectory can be controlled to a certain degree by the pilot. However, the plan did not materialised due to development problems with the Psycommu Grenade, but it was said to be linked to the later development of a similar weapon called the "Funnel Missile".
- Fin Funnel
- Considered one of the most deadly weapons in UC history, the funnels were remote weapons that could fly off and attack based on orders from the psycommu waves of the pilot. Fin funnels were funnels equipped with their own generator, which greatly increased their capabilities. They needed less frequent charging, and were able to generate a defensive energy barrier around friendly units.
Special Equipment & Features
- Birdlime Launchers
- Fires an adhesive substance from the hands that can be used to repair small cracks in colony wall or to restrain soldiers on foot.
- Dummy Launchers
- Stored in the hands the launchers can deploy mobile suit sized dummy balloons as a decoys.
- Psycoframe Cockpit
- The cockpit is composed of microscopic Psycommu receptors that allows the pilot to control the suit as if it is his/her own body. A psycommu receiver is located at the back of the pilot's headrest. Cockpit also features airmats that are used in case of impact.
The v Gundam Heavy Weapons System Type would have been a considerable upgrade to the RX-93 v Gundam. However, during the Second Neo Zeon War, Amuro Ray used the v Gundam to push away Axis, resulting in his sudden disappearance.
Notes and Trivia
- This mobile suit appears as a playable unit in the PlayStation 2 mecha action video game Another Century's Episode 3: The Final (2007).
- In SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online, the Heavy Weapons System is considered one of the more powerful units in the game. In HWS mode, the unit is armed with homing missiles, the Hyper Beam Cannon and Fin Funnels, which are strong enough to shoot down all projectiles, including the tracer rounds for the Ranged Special Attack. In Purged mode, it loses the Fin Funnels and armor in exchange for the Hyper Bazooka, Beam Rifle and Beam Saber.
|Londo Bell/Earth Federation|
|ν Gundam's variations|
FA-93HWS v Gundam Heavy Weapons System Type | RX-93 ν Gundam Double Fin Funnel Type | RX-93-ν2 Hi-ν Gundam
RGC-90 Jegan Heavy Armor Type | RGM-89S Prototype Stark Jegan
RGZ-91B Re-GZ Custom
|Geara Doga's variations|
AMS-119 Geara Doga Heavy Armed Type | AMS-119S Geara Doga Kai | AMS-120X Geara Doga Psycommu System Test Type
| NZ-333 α Azieru's variations|
NZ-222 Psyco Doga | NZ-444 β Azieru