Technology & Combat Characteristics
The FD-03 Gustav Karl combat abilities are reminiscent of its predecessor the RGM-89 Jegan, however it is far larger. The Gustav Karl stands several meters above the head of the RGM-89 Jegan and features heavier armor. The Gustav Karl's larger size allows it to be equipped with a more powerful Minovsky ultracompact nuclear reactor than any model of Jegan to ever exist. For combat the Gustav Karl was equipped with a very simple armament consisting of a head mounted vulcan guns, a pair of beam sabers, a beam rifle, a grenade launcher, and a flexible shield. When operating in the atmosphere it can board the BJ-K232 Kessaria sub-flight system for transport. A commander version, the Dora Karl, is fitted with different communication equipment.
- Vulcan Gun
- Mounted on the left side of the head, these shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- 2-tube Grenade Launcher
- The Gustav Karl is equipped with a 2-tube grenade launcher mounted on the left forearm. The grenades are moderately powerful self-propelling explosives that can deal significant damage to a mobile suit, but are particularly effective against machines with heavy defenses against beam weapons. While grenade launchers used during the One Year War fired unguided grenades, later versions launch homing missiles with their own optical guidance systems.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits, it is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal not treated with anti-beam coating. The Gustav Karl is equipped with two beam sabers stored in the thigh.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon is the beam rifle. The Gustav Karl used the same beam rifle as the Jegan's. It has a short barrel for ease of handling, and is most effective in mid-close range combat due to its short firing range. Although its output is reduced, it has an excellent rate of fire, and can eliminate enemy accurately during melee combat when utilize in conjunction with the composite sensor at the top of the rifle.
- 90mm Short Machine Gun
- Flexible Shield
- The shield of the Gustav Karl is mounted on the shoulder. This is not a fixed mount and is capable of swiveling the shield 180 degrees, offering protection straight forward, straight backward, and from any angle that is left or right. Because the shield is mounted on the shoulder, it cannot be brought up to defend the center of the torso.
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
The FD-03 Gustav Karl is an Earth Federation Forces mobile suit put into service 3 years after the Second Neo Zeon War. It was used to defend the Federation's Cheyenne base during the Laplace conflict. During Bright Noa's investigation of the base the Tri-Stars team disarmed a Gustav Karl by covering its main camera and cutting off its forearm with a beam saber in a surprise attack.
Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative
Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash
9 years later, it would be used to defend Federation cabinet members in Adelaide, Australia from a terrorist attack led by Mufti Nabiyu Erin (a.k.a. Hathaway Noa). The Earth Federation Forces would use the Gustav Karl alongside the RX-104FF Penelope to counter the terrorist group's Me-02R Messer and Mufti powerful RX-105 Ξ Gundam. As mobile suits were entering the age of miniaturization, the Gustav Karl was produced in limited numbers.
Notes & Trivia
- The original novel design was done by Yasuhiro Moriki. It later appeared in the video game SD Gundam G Generation, and was redesigned by Kazumi Fujita.
- The Gustav Karl gets its name from the real-life Carl Gustaf anti-tank rocket launcher system.
|Hathaway's Flash Mechanics|
Me-02R Messer | RX-105 Ξ Gundam
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
| Mobile Suit|
FD-03 Gustav Karl | RX-104FF Penelope
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|