FD-03 Gustav Karl
|Namesake||Carl Gustav AT Launcher|
|Developed from||RGM-89 Jegan|
|First Seen||0097 U.C.|
|Manufacturer||Earth Federation Forces|
|Operator||Earth Federation Forces|
|Head Height||22.0 meters72.178 ft |
|Max Weight||60.0 metric tons|
|Standard Weight||29.0 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Minovsky Ultracompact Fusion Reactor|
|Power Output||3425 kW4,593 hp|
|Sensor Range||21300 meters69,881.89 ft|
|Rocket Thrusters||79500 kg175,267.449 lb |
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The FD-03 Gustave Karl combat abilities are reminiscent of its predecessor the RGM-89 Jegan, however it is far larger. The Gustave Karl stands several meters above the head of the RGM-89 Jegan and features heavier armor. The Gustave Karl's larger size allows it to be equipped with a more powerful Minovsky ultracompact nuclear reactor than any model of Jegan to ever exist. For combat the Gustave Karl was equipped with a very simple armament consisting of a pair of beam sabers, a beam rifle, a missile launcher, and a flexible shield. A commander version, the Dora Karl, is fitted with different communication equipment.
- Missile Launcher
- Further adding to the Gustav Karl's offensive capabilities is a Missile Launcher. Although much smaller than a bazooka or grenade round, these missiles can destroy light-to-medium armored targets with ease.
- Beam Saber
- The Gustav Karl is equipped with a pair of beam sabers stored in recharge racks located on the legs.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon is the beam rifle. The beam rifle carried by the Gustav Karl is a rapid fire, but short range type. Sensors built into the rifle provide interface between the weapon and the Gustav Karl camera sensor. As with most beam rifles built after the One Year War, the Gustav Karl beam rifle is powered by a removable energy pack which can be swapped in the field to recharge the weapon.
- Flexible Shield
- The shield of Gustav Karl is not mounted on the arms as is typical, and instead are mounted on the shoulder. These are not fixed mounts and are capable of swiveling the shields 180 degrees, offering protection straight forward, straight backward, and from any angle that is left or right. Because the shields are mounted on the shoulders, they cannot be brought up to defend the center of the torso.
The FD-03 Gustave Karl is an Earth Federation Forces mobile suit put in service 12 years after the Second Neo Zeon War. It would be used to defend Federation cabinet members in Adelaide, Australia from a terrorist attack led by Mafty Navilles Erin (a.k.a. Hathaway Noa). The Earth Federation Forces would use the Gustave Karl alongside the RX-104FF Penelope to counter the terrorist group's Me-02R Messer and Mafty's powerful RX-105 Ξ Gundam. As mobile suits entered the age of miniaturization, the Gustav Karl was produced in limited numbers.
- The original novel design was done by Yasuhiro Moriki. It later appeared in the video game SD Gundam G Generation, and was redesigned by Kazumi Fujita.
- The Gustav Karl gets its name from the real-life Carl Gustav anti-tank rocket launcher system.