Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GAT-01D1 Duel Dagger is a mass production version of the GAT-01D Long Dagger, and the main difference is that Duel Dagger is equipped with a Natural-use OS. As both machines have identical appearance, Duel Dagger is given a different color scheme to differentiate it from Long Dagger. Duel Dagger's armaments include 2 head-mounted "Igellstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS for close range defense, 2 ES01 beam sabers for close-combat, a beam rifle (either Duel Gundam's or Strike Dagger's) for ranged combat, and a shield (either Duel Gundam's or Strike Dagger's) for defense. As with the Long Dagger, Duel Dagger cannot mount any Striker Packs but it can be equipped with the Fortrestra Mode. In this form, the suit has extra armor and gains a clip-fed linear cannon on the right shoulder as well as a 8-tube missile launcher in its left shoulder. Although the Fortrestra Mode has additional thrusters to offset the added weight, the suit's maneuverability is still hindered when under gravity. However, the extra armor is ejectable and will release an intense flash capable of blinding the enemy during the process. When not in the Fortrestra Mode, Duel Dagger is as agile as MBF-P03 Gundam Astray Blue Frame. Like the Long Dagger, Duel Dagger is a high performance MS and is mainly given to skilled MS pilot.
- Beam Saber
- These are the primary close range combat weapons and can slice through any armor that does not have an anti-beam coating. They are stored on the side skirt armor.
- "Igellstelung" CIWS
- Mounted in the Duel Dagger's head are two "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS guns. Although classified as Anti Air, this light projectile weapon can also be used to intercept missiles and to destroy lightly armored vehicles.
- The Long Dagger can use the shield used by Strike Dagger or the one used by Duel Gundam. Both kind of shields are similar, they have anti-beam coating to block or deflect energy based attacks from beam weapons, and a vision slit near the top.
- Linear Cannon
- Mounted on Fortrestra Mode's right shoulder, it operates on similar principle as the Duel Gundam's railgun but is clip-fed.
- 8-tube Missile Launcher
- Mounted on Fortrestra Mode's left shoulder, it is a basic high-explosive missile pod, similar to those mounted on the GAT-X103 Buster.
- 57mm High-energy Beam Rifle
- One of two type of beam rifles that can be used by Long Dagger. This is the same beam rifle used by Duel Gundam and has an underslung single-shot grenade launcher.
- M703 57mm Beam Rifle
- The second type of beam rifle used by the Long Dagger, it is the same rifle as the one used by GAT-01 Strike Dagger. A grenade launcher is mounted at the bottom.
Special Equipment & Features
- Fortrestra Mode
- The Fortrestra Mode is a set of equipment inspired by the Assault Shroud that ZAFT used on the Duel. Designed to improve the Duel Dagger's combat performance, the Fortrestra Mode includes additional armor mounted around the mobile suit's body. The heavy armor provides additional protection against enemy attacks, but weighs the Duel Dagger down and cuts mobility. To offset this, additional thrusters are included to improve mobility but it is still a problem when the suit operates under gravity. To improve offensive ability, a clip-fed linear cannon and an 8-tube missile laucher is mounted on the additional shoulder armor. The Fortrestra Mode can be detached if it proves to be burden, and will releases an intense blinding flash so that the Duel Dagger is not vulnerable during the process.
The Duel Dagger is one of several mobile suits derived from GAT-X102 Duel Gundam. At first, the Earth Alliance created the prototype Long Dagger (which was planned to be named "Duel Dagger"), which was tested by humans with enhanced abilities, like Combat Coordinators. Afterwards, a Natural-OS was installed on the Long Dagger and put into limited mass production in form of the Duel Dagger. The Duel Dagger was eventually given to and operated by numerous noted Alliance aces. Two Duel Daggers were piloted by EA ace Edward Harrelson and EA mobile suit instructor Rena Imelia.