GAT-01D Long Dagger
|Developed from||GAT-X102 Duel Gundam|
|First Seen||71 C.E.|
|Known Pilots||Eleven Socius|
|Head Height||18.02 meters59.121 ft |
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Energy Battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Cockpit in Torso|
The GAT-01D Long Dagger is a prototype high performance combat mobile suit, and first featured in the original design series SEED-MSV.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Long Dagger is a modified GAT-01 Strike Dagger that has been adapted with data and technology from the GAT-X102 Duel Gundam, but it still retains Strike Dagger's excellent production cost and can be produced on the same production line as they share more than 50% of their components.
Long Dagger's armaments include 2 head-mounted "Igellstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS for close range defense and 2 ES01 beam sabers for close-combat. The suit is either armed with Duel Gundam's beam rifle or with Strike Dagger's M703 57mm Beam Rifle. As with the Strike Dagger, the Long Dagger is not compatible with any Striker Packs. Instead of that, the Long Dagger has an armor similar to the Duel's Assault Shroud, called the Fortrestra mode. In Fortrestra configuration, the suit mounts a clip-fed linear cannon over the right shoulder rather than the Assault Shroud's railgun, and carries a slightly larger number of smaller missiles in its left shoulder. One drawback of the Fortrestra is the decrease in maneuverability, but it is ejectable and will release an intense flash capable of blinding the enemy during the process. When not equipped with the Fortrestra, Long Dagger is as agile as MBF-P03 Gundam Astray Blue Frame.
The OS of the Long Dagger is specified for Coordinator, Combat Coordinator, and Biological CPU use, and much like ZAFT's GINN cannot be used by Naturals. One of the early weaknesses of the Long Dagger is inadequate EMP shielding similar to those of the early Strike Dagger. After the Battle of Panama, this weakness is rectfied.
- Beam Saber
- These are the primary close range combat weapons and can slice through any armor that does not have an anti-beam coating.
- "Igellstelung" CIWS
- Mounted in the Long Dagger's head are two "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS guns. These light projectile weapons are used to intercept missiles and to destroy lightly armored vehicles, although it is classified as an anti-air weapon.
- Identical in design to the shield used on the Strike and its derivatives. A simple metal shield with a vision slit near the top.
- Fortrestra Armor
- The Fortrestra Armor is an equipment inspired by the Assault Shroud that ZAFT used on the Duel. Designed for heavy combat, the Fortrestra Armor includes additional armor mounted on the mobile suit's legs, waist, torso, arms, and shoulders. The heavy armor provides additional protection from the solid projectile weapons used by the majority of ZAFT's mobile suits, but weighs the Long Dagger down and cuts mobility. To offset this, the leg and waist armor includes additional thrusters to improve mobility. To improve offensive ability, the Armor mounts on the shoulders a clip-fed linear cannon and an 8-tube missile laucher.
- Shoulder-mounted Linear Cannon
- A similar weapon as the railgun of Duel Gundam but it is clip-fed.
- 8-tube Missile Launcher
- A basic high-explosive missile pod, similar to those mounted on the GAT-X103 Buster.
- 57mm High-energy Beam Rifle
- One of two type of beam rifles that can be used by Long Dagger. This is the same beam rifle used by Duel Gundam, and can optionally be fitted with an underslung grenade launcher. The grenade launcher did not see much use, but could presumably fire a variety of grenades.
- M703 57mm Beam Rifle
- The second type of beam rifle. This is the same beam rifle used by Strike Dagger and can also be fitted with a grenade launcher.
The Long Dagger is one of several mobile suits derived from the Duel. The GAT-01D was originally to be named "Duel Dagger", however the name was switched to Long Dagger following ZAFT's capture of the X102. A high-performance machine for Coordinators, Combat Coordinators and Biological CPUs in the Earth Alliance's employ, the main purpose of the Long Dagger was to gather data for the Natural-compatible OS of the Strike Dagger, using real combat situations to provide the data.
The prototype Long Dagger was tested and eventually stolen by rogue "Combat Coordinator" Eleven and Seven Socius, who wanted to prove to the Alliance that Combat Coordinators are still useful and not a threat. They challenged Gai, who is rumoured to be the best MS pilot in the earth sphere, to a fight and won as Gai was unaware that he was against two opponents. Taking the Blue Frame's head as a prize, they managed to contact an Alliance base but was told that attacking Gai meant nothing. They were then ordered to attack Gibraltar base. However before they could attack the base, they were intercepted by Gai and his MBF-P03secondL Gundam Astray Blue Frame Second L. Eleven and Seven accepted Gai's request for a rematch and were defeated. However, Gai did not kill them and he convinced them that they should reconsider their goals in life.
Another known Long Dagger, painted in his trademark white colors, was used by Jean Carry; a.k.a. "Glittering Star J" and used in the Battle of Panama. He briefly fought Yzak Joule and his Duel, but eventually Jean's Long Dagger was disabled by ZAFT's Gungnir EMP weapon. Jean however survived the massacre conducted by ZAFT afterwards and defected to the Three Ships Alliance, where he piloted an MBF-M1 M1 Astray at the end of the war.