Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The GAT-01D Long Dagger is a prototype high performance combat mobile suit, and first featured in the original design series SEED-MSV.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Long Dagger is a modified GAT-01 Strike Dagger that has been adapted with data and technology from the GAT-X102 Duel Gundam, but it still retains Strike Dagger's excellent production cost and can be produced on the same production line as they share more than 50% of their components.
Long Dagger's armaments include 2 head-mounted "Igellstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS for close range defense, 2 ES01 beam sabers for close-combat, a beam rifle (either Duel Gundam's or Strike Dagger's) for ranged combat, and a shield (either Duel Gundam's or Strike Dagger's) for defense. As with the Strike Dagger, the Long Dagger cannot mount any Striker Packs. Instead, the Long Dagger has a set of equipment similar to the Duel's Assault Shroud, called the Fortrestra Mode. In this form, the suit has extra armor and gains a clip-fed linear cannon on the right shoulder as well as a 8-tube missile launcher in its left shoulder. Although the Fortrestra Mode has additional thrusters to offset the added weight, the suit's maneuverability is still hindered when under gravity. However, the extra armor is ejectable and will release an intense flash capable of blinding the enemy during the process. When not in Fortrestra mode, the Long Dagger is as agile as MBF-P03 Gundam Astray Blue Frame.
The OS of the Long Dagger is specified for Coordinator and Combat Coordinator, and much like ZAFT's GINN cannot be used by Naturals. An early weaknesses of the Long Dagger is inadequate EMP shielding similar to those of the early Strike Dagger, but this is likely rectified after the Battle of Panama.
- Beam Saber
- These are the primary close range combat weapons and can slice through any armor that does not have an anti-beam coating. They are stored on the side skirt armor.
- "Igellstelung" CIWS
- Mounted in the Long Dagger's head are two "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS guns. Although classified as Anti Air, this light projectile weapon can also be used to intercept missiles and to destroy lightly armored vehicles.
- The Long Dagger can use the shield used by Strike Dagger or the one used by Duel Gundam. Both kind of shields are similar, they have anti-beam coating to block or deflect energy based attacks from beam weapons, and a vision slit near the top.
- Linear Cannon
- Mounted on Fortrestra Mode's right shoulder, it operates on similar principle as the Duel Gundam's railgun but is clip-fed.
- 8-tube Missile Launcher
- Mounted on Fortrestra Mode's left shoulder, it is a basic high-explosive missile pod, similar to those mounted on the GAT-X103 Buster.
- 57mm High-energy Beam Rifle
- One of two type of beam rifles that can be used by Long Dagger. This is the same beam rifle used by Duel Gundam and has an underslung single-shot grenade launcher.
- M703 57mm Beam Rifle
- The second type of beam rifle used by the Long Dagger, it is the same rifle as the one used by GAT-01 Strike Dagger. A grenade launcher is mounted at the bottom.
Special Equipment & Features
- Fortrestra Mode
- The Fortrestra Mode is a set of equipment inspired by the Assault Shroud that ZAFT used on the Duel. Designed to improve the Long Dagger's combat performance, the Fortrestra Mode includes additional armor mounted around the mobile suit's body. The heavy armor provides additional protection against enemy attacks, but weighs the Long Dagger down and cuts mobility. To offset this, additional thrusters are included to improve mobility but it is still a problem when the suit operates under gravity. To improve offensive ability, a clip-fed linear cannon and an 8-tube missile laucher is mounted on the additional shoulder armor. The Fortrestra Mode can be detached if it proves to be burden, and will releases an intense blinding flash so that the Long Dagger is not vulnerable during the process.
The Long Dagger is one of several mobile suits derived from the Duel. The GAT-01D was originally to be named "Duel Dagger", however the name was switched to Long Dagger following ZAFT's capture of the X102. A high-performance machine for Coordinators, Combat Coordinators and Biological CPUs in the Earth Alliance's employ, the main purpose of the Long Dagger was to gather data for the Natural-compatible OS of the Strike Dagger, using real combat situations to provide the data.
The prototype Long Dagger was tested and eventually stolen by rogue "Combat Coordinator" Eleven and Seven Socius, who wanted to prove to the Alliance that Combat Coordinators are still useful and not a threat. They challenged Gai, who is rumoured to be the best MS pilot in the earth sphere, to a fight and won as Gai was unaware that he was against two opponents. Taking the Blue Frame's head as a prize, they managed to contact an Alliance base but was told that attacking Gai meant nothing. They were then ordered to attack Gibraltar base. However before they could attack the base, they were intercepted by Gai and his MBF-P03secondL Gundam Astray Blue Frame Second L. Eleven and Seven accepted Gai's request for a rematch and were defeated. However, Gai did not kill them and he convinced them that they should reconsider their goals in life.
Another known Long Dagger, painted in his trademark white colors, was used by Jean Carry; a.k.a. "Glittering Star J" and used in the Battle of Panama. He briefly fought Yzak Joule and his Duel, but eventually Jean's Long Dagger was disabled by ZAFT's Gungnir EMP weapon. Jean however survived the massacre conducted by ZAFT afterwards and defected to the Three Ships Alliance, where he piloted an MBF-M1 M1 Astray at the end of the war.