GAT-X1022 Blu Duel Gundam
|Developed from||GAT-X102 Duel Gundam|
|First Seen||73 C.E.|
|Last Seen||73 C.E.|
|Known Pilots||Mudie Holcroft|
|Head Height||16.89 meters55.413 ft |
|Standard Weight||84.24 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact energy battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, in standard cockpit in torso|
|Armor||Phase Shift armor
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Blu Duel Gundam is a modified GAT-X102 Duel Gundam produced as part of the "Actaeon Project", which involves several companies and is centered around Actaeon Industries. The main aim of this project is to create customized MS for use by Phantom Pain's ace pilots. Blu Duel thus features similar but also upgraded armament. Among these upgrades is a new form of Fortrestra Armor, EA's version of the Assault Shroud armor, which is fully integrated into the body of the suit and thus cannot be expelled. The armament of the suit is made up of CIWS guns, anti-armor penetrators, beam sabers, retractable beam guns, a shield and a shield mounted railgun. Like GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam, Blu Duel is equipped with power extender and Variable Phase Shift armor, although the latter is only limited to Fortrestra Armor and the main body is still protected by normal Phase Shift armor.
- Installed in the head of the Blu Duel are two M2M5 "Todesschrecken" 12.5mm automatic CIWS guns, used to shoot down incoming missiles or smaller units.
- Anti-Armor Penetrator
- Same weapon as the ones on the Windam and Dagger L, Blu Duel stores three Mk315 "Stiletto" rocket-propelled anti-armor penetrators in the left shoulder. These knife-like weapons can be used for close combat or thrown to cause some damage to an enemy unit.
- Beam Gun
- Each forearm of the Blu Duel mounts a M7G2 retractable beam gun, they are carried in the hands when in use. Their small size made them easy to wield during close combat, while their high rate of fire allows Blu Duel to suppress a large number of enemy units quickly.
- Beam Saber
- Two ES05A beam sabers are stored on the Blu Duel's legs for close combat. They are created by Phantom Pain for their own use and are a modified version of the ES04B beam saber used by Windam and Dagger L. These sabers have greatly improved reliability and durability.
- For defense, a single shield is mounted on the right shoulder of the suit. This shield also mounts an M443 "Scorpion" mobile railgun for additional firepower in ranged combat.
- Power Extender
- The suit features a "power extender" system to increase battery life.
During the first Bloody Valentine War, the Earth Alliance colaborated with Orb's Morgenroete Inc. in creating their own series of mobile suits. One of the suit produced under this so-called G Project was the Duel, which, together with three other suits, is stolen by ZAFT in CE 71 and used by Yzak Joule during the remainder of the war. Eventually another Duel was produced and upgraded by Actaeon Industries into the more advanced, more close-combat oriented, and more powerful GAT-X1022 Blu Duel. The only known Blu Duel was eventually assigned to Phantom Pain pilot Mudie Holcroft, who worked alongside her comrades, who also piloted suit which were upgraded forms of the original G Project units. Mudie took part in several missions against the crew of the Mars ship Acidalium and also fought ZAFT forces on some instances.
In CE 74, Mudie, along with her comrades protected the large land battleship Bonaparte from a ZAFT attack, during which her suit is overwhelmed by a large number of TMF/A-802 BuCUEs and TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hounds. With her suit damaged and on the ground, three Kerberos BuCUEs used their beam fangs to attack the Blu Duel. The suit's cockpit area was immediately critically damaged, which resulted in Mudie's death, although the three Kerberos BuCUEs were destroyed by her comrade Sven Cal Payang in his GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam.
- Blu Duel holds the dubious honor of being the first Gundam taken down by mass production mobile suits. It lost it's right arm & shield/railgun because a TMF/A-802 BuCUE sliced it off and another sliced off it's left leg. After falling to the ground, three TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hounds tore into its cockpit like real dogs.
- Like its sister units the Verde Buster, the Strike Noir, the Nero Blitz and the Rosso Aegis, the unit bear a color-themed name, "blu" being an Itaian word for blue which resembles its color.
- Blu Duel was the first of the new GAT units to be destroyed. Where as the original Duel survived the entirety of Gundam Seed.