GAT-X1022 Blu Duel Gundam
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Blu Duel Gundam is a modified GAT-X102 Duel Gundam produced as part of the "Actaeon Project", a joint development between several companies led by Actaeon Industries and Phantom Pain. The main aim of this project is to create customized MS for use by Phantom Pain's ace pilots.
Among the upgrades to the Duel is a new version of the Fortrestra Armor, the Alliance's version of the Assault Shroud armor. Unlike that used by the GAT-01D Long Dagger and GAT-01D1 Duel Dagger, the Blu Duel's is fully integrated into the body of the suit and thus cannot be ejected. Another difference is that the Blu Duel's lacks the missile launcher present in the Assault Shroud and the previous Fortrestra armors, instead equipping a single compartment in its left shoulder storing three anti-armor penetrators, which are thrown manually. Other armament of the Blu Duel includes a shield mounted on the right shoulder with a railgun underneath, a pair of retractable beam guns mounted to its forearms, two beam sabers stored on the legs and two head-mounted CIWS guns.
- M2M5 "Todesschrecken" 12.5mm Automatic CIWS
- Installed in the head of the Blu Duel are two automatic CIWS guns, they are used to shoot down incoming missiles or smaller units.
- Mk315 "Stiletto" Rocket-Propelled Anti-Armor Penetrator
- The Blu Duel stores three anti-armor penetrators in the left shoulder. Same as the ones used by the GAT-04 Windam and the GAT-02L2 Dagger L, these knife-like weapons can be used for close combat or thrown to cause some damage to an enemy unit.
- M7G2 Retractable Beam Gun
- Mounted on the forearm of the Blu Duel, they are carried in the hands when in use. Their small size made them easy to wield during close combat, while their high rate of fire allows Blu Duel to suppress a large number of enemy units quickly.
- ES05A Beam Saber
- Two of these beam sabers are stored on the Blu Duel's legs for close combat. They are created by Phantom Pain for their own use and are a modified version of the ES04B beam saber used by Windam and Dagger L. These sabers have greatly improved reliability and durability.
- Shield/M443 "Scorpion" Mobile Railgun
- For defense, a single shield is mounted on the right shoulder of the suit. This shield also mounts a railgun for additional firepower in ranged combat.
Special Equipment & Features
- Variable Phase Shift allows the MS to automatically alter the strength and by extension the power consumption of the PS Armor, depending on what combat configuration or situation that MS is in. As a result, the MS's colors changes, but all these must be programmed beforehand.
- Power Extender
- A device that improves a mobile suits energy storage capacity, allowing it to use its Phase Shift Armor for a longer duration than other mobile suits.
During the First Alliance-PLANT War, the Earth Alliance collaborated with Orb's Morgenroete Inc. in creating their own series of mobile suits. One of the suit produced under this so-called G Project was the Duel, which, together with three other suits, is stolen by ZAFT in CE 71. After the War, as part of the "Actaeon Project" MS development plan, another Duel was re-manufactured. The unit was assigned to Phantom Pain pilot, Mudie Holcroft, and subsequently upgraded into a more advanced, more close-combat oriented, and more powerful GAT-X1022 Blu Duel. Mudie and her Blu Duel often work in a team consisting of Sven Cal Payang and his GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam, as well Shams Couza and his GAT-X103AP Verde Buster.
Later, Mudie, along with her comrades protected the large land battleship Bonaparte from a ZAFT attack, during which her suit is is attacked and overwhelmed by a large number of TMF/A-802 BuCUEs and TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hounds. The Blu Duel lost its right arm & shield/railgun to an attack by a BuCUE, while a second sliced off its left leg, causing it to fall to the ground, With her suit damaged and on the ground, Mudie was unable to defend herself when three TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hounds attacked, tearing into its cockpit using their beam fangs like real dogs, which resulted in Mudie's death, although the three Kerberos BuCUEs were destroyed by her comrade Sven Cal Payang in his GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam almost immediately afterwards.
Notes & Trivia
- Blu Duel holds the dubious honor of being chronologically the first Gundam taken down by mass production mobile suits, having replaced the ZGMF-X24S Chaos Gundam in this regard. Though Stargazer aired after Destiny, the Blu Duel's destruction predates that of the Chaos.
- While Blu Duel was the first of the new GAT-X units to be destroyed, ironically the original Duel survived the entirety of Gundam SEED.
- Like its sister units the Verde Buster, the Strike Noir, the Nero Blitz and the Rosso Aegis, the unit bear a color-themed name, "blu" being an Italian word for blue which resembles its color.
- The Blu Duel stores its beam sabers like the CAT1-X1/3 Hyperion Gundam Unit 1's beam knives.