Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Blu Duel Gundam is a modified GAT-X102 Duel Gundam produced as part of the "Actaeon Project", a joint development between several companies led by Actaeon Industries and Phantom Pain. The main aim of this project is to create customized MS for use by Phantom Pain's ace pilots. Among the upgrades to the suit is a new version of the Fortestra armor, the Alliance's version of the Assault Shroud armor. Unlike the Fortestra armor of the GAT-01D Long Dagger and GAT-01D1 Duel Dagger, the Blu Duel's is fully integrated into its body and cannot be ejected. Another difference is that the missile pod of the Assault Shroud and the previous Fortestra armors have been replaced by anti-armor penetrators.
Other armaments of the Blu Duel includes a shield mounted on the right shoulder with a railgun underneath, a pair of retractable beam guns mounted on its forearms, two beam sabers stored on the legs, and two head-mounted CIWS guns. Like its sister units, the GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam and the GAT-X103AP Verde Buster Gundam, the Blu Duel is equipped with a power extender and Variable Phase Shift armor, which is also applied to the Fortestra armor. Overall, the Blu Duel has enhanced defensive and offensive power over the original Duel Gundam.
- M2M5 "Todesschrecken" 12.5mm Automatic CIWS
- Installed in the head of the Blu Duel are two automatic CIWS guns, they are used to shoot down incoming missiles or smaller units.
- Mk315 "Stiletto" Rocket-Propelled Anti-Armor Penetrator
- The Blu Duel stores three anti-armor penetrators in the left shoulder. Same as the ones used by the GAT-04 Windam and the GAT-02L2 Dagger L, these knife-like weapons can be used for close combat or thrown to damage enemy unit.
- M7G2 Retractable Beam Gun
- Mounted on the forearm of the Blu Duel, they are carried in the hands when in use. Their small size made them easy to wield during close combat, while their high rate of fire allows Blu Duel to suppress a large number of enemy units quickly.
- ES05A Beam Saber
- Two beam sabers are stored on the Blu Duel's legs for close combat. They are created by Phantom Pain for their own use and are a modified version of the ES04B beam saber used by Windam and Dagger L. These sabers have greatly improved reliability and durability.
- Shield/M443 "Scorpion" Mobile Railgun
- For defense, a single shield is mounted on the right shoulder of the suit. This shield also mounts a railgun for additional firepower in ranged combat.
Special Equipment & Features
- Variable Phase Shift allows the MS to automatically alter the strength and by extension the power consumption of the PS Armor, depending on what combat configuration or situation that MS is in. As a result, the MS's colors changes, but all these must be programmed beforehand.
- Power Extender
- A device that improves a mobile suits energy storage capacity, allowing it to use its Phase Shift Armor for a longer duration than other mobile suits.
During the First Alliance-PLANT War, the Earth Alliance collaborated with Orb's Morgenroete Inc. to create their own series of mobile suits. One of the suit produced under this "G Project" was the GAT-X102 Duel Gundam, which together with three other suits, was stolen by ZAFT. After the war, as part of the "Actaeon Project", another Duel Gundam was manufactured. It was assigned to Phantom Pain pilot, Mudie Holcroft, and subsequently upgraded into the more powerful Blu Duel Gundam. Mudie and her Blu Duel often work in a team consisting of Sven Cal Payang and his GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam, as well Shams Couza and his GAT-X103AP Verde Buster.
Later, Mudie and her comrades protected the land battleship Bonaparte from a ZAFT attack. During the fight, her Blu Duel lost its right arm and shield/railgun to an attack by a TMF/A-802 BuCUE, while a second shot off its left leg, causing it to fall to the ground. Mudie was killed when three TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hounds attacked her damaged suit and tore into its cockpit using their beam fangs. The three Kerberos BuCUE Hounds were subsequently destroyed by Sven and his Strike Noir Gundam.
Notes & Trivia
- Blu Duel holds the dubious honor of being chronologically the first Gundam taken down by mass production mobile suits, having replaced the ZGMF-X24S Chaos Gundam in this regard. Though Stargazer aired after Destiny, the Blu Duel's destruction predates that of the Chaos.
- While Blu Duel was the first of the new GAT-X units to be destroyed, ironically the original Duel survived the entirety of Gundam SEED.
- Like its sister units the Verde Buster, the Strike Noir, the Nero Blitz and the Rosso Aegis, the unit bear a color-themed name, "blu" being an Italian word for blue which resembles its color.
- The Blu Duel stores its beam sabers like the CAT1-X1/3 Hyperion Gundam Unit 1's beam knives.
|Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: STARGAZER Mechanics|
GAT-01A2R Slaughter Dagger | GAT-X103AP Verde Buster Gundam | GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam | GAT-X1022 Blu Duel Gundam | GFAS-X1 Destroy Gundam
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
TFA-4DE GAZuOOT | TMF/A-802 BuCUE | TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hound | ZGMF-1000/A1 Gunner ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1000/K Slash ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1000/M Blaze ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1017 GINN
GSX-401FW Stargazer Gundam | UT-1D Civilian Astray DSSD Custom
ZGMF-1017 GINN Insurgent Type