GAT-X103AP Verde Buster Gundam
|Developed from||GAT-X103 Buster Gundam|
|First Seen||73 C.E.|
|Last Seen||74 C.E.|
|Known Pilots||Shams Couza|
|Head Height||18.46 meters60.564 ft |
|Standard Weight||99.36 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Energy Battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, in standard cockpit in chest|
|Armor||Phase Shift armor|
The Verde Buster Gundam was produced as part of the "Actaeon Project" development plan that promotes technical cooperation between companies and focuses on the creation of customized MS for use by ace pilots. Like the original GAT-X103 Buster, the Verde Buster is designed as an artillery mobile suit as well and thus features a set of heavy armament consisting of a beam cannon, a gun launcher, missile launchers and two powerful beam rifles. The suit doesn't feature any close combat weaponry except two bayonets mounted on the beam rifles. In addition, the Verde Buster Gundam is equipped with a state-of-the-art FCS to operate these weapons. Accuracy is greatly improved due to refurbished sensors. Movable thrusters are installed on both shoulders to compensate for mobility reduction caused by the increase in weight.
- High-energy beam cannon
- As with the original Buster, the Verde Buster is equipped with a redesigned version of the 94mm high-energy beam rifle in the form of a cannon. While the original unit had to carry the rifle in its hand, the Verde Buster's beam cannon is mounted on a backpack over the suit's left shoulder.
- Gun launcher
- Another weapon copied from the original suit is the 350mm gun launcher, which like the beam cannon isn't hand carried anymore but instead mounted on the backpack over the suit's right shoulder. This however prevents the Verde Buster from combining the two weapons like the Buster was capable of doing.
- Missile launchers
- The last weapon taken from the old Buster are the two shoulder mounted 6-tube 220mm multipurpose missile launchers.
- Beam Rifles
- The only new addition to the Verde Buster's armament is a set of two M9009B composite bayonet-equipped beam rifles, which are usually mounted on the hips of the suit but are hand-carried when in use. They each feature a small bayonet for close-combat. The rifles are capable of being combined into a two-barrel rifle, which is strong enough to severely damage a space station.
The Verde Buster was originally a normal GAT-X103 Buster unit which was upgraded by Actaeon Industries into the more powerful Verde Buster. Only one unit was confirmed to be built which was assigned to the Phantom Pain special forces unit, piloted by their pilot Shams Couza. One of the suits sorties was against a ZAFT unit which attacked the Hannibal-class land battleship Bonaparte, carrying the GFAS-X1 Destroy. While the Verde Buster easily holds itself against ZAFT's forces, fellow pilot Mudie Holcroft is killed by a squad of TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hound units.
Some times later, Shams and his suit are assigned to the Nana Buluku, which attacks the DSSD space station to steal datas of the AI unit used in the GSX-401FW Stargazer. During the battle Shams is able to destroy a large number of the DSSD's UT-1D Civilian Astray DSSD Custom units but when he is ordered to retreat he is overcome with rage and continues to fire on the station. Even when he is warned that his energy will soon be depleted he continues firing until there is no energy left in his suit. This chance is used by several Civilian Astrays which fire on the defenseless suit and destroy it. Despite this Shams dies smiling.
- Beneath the head covering is a head identical to the Buster's.
- The Verde Buster holds the dubious honor of being the third Gundam taken down by mass productions mobile suits. The first was the GAT-X1022 Blu Duel and the second was the ZGMF-X24S Chaos.
- The combined mode of Verde Buster's twin rifles is called buster mode, most likely in reference to XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero's twin buster rifle.
- Like its sister units the Strike Noir, the Blu Duel, the Nero Blitz and the Rosso Aegis, the unit bears a color-themed name, "verde" being a Spanish word for green, the unit's dominant colour.