GAT-X131 Calamity Gundam
|Developed from||GAT-X103 Buster Gundam|
|First Seen||June 16, 71 C.E.|
|Last Seen||September 27, 71 C.E.|
|Known Pilots||Orga Sabnak|
|Overall Height||18.26 meters59.908 ft |
|Max Weight||81.48 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Energy Battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, cockpit in torso|
|Armor||Trans-Phase Shift Armor|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Designed as a long-range artillery mobile suit, the Calamity is only equipped with several powerful beam weapons, completely lacking any close combat weaponry. Its armament consists of two "Schlag" 125mm high-energy long-range beam cannons, which are mounted on the backpack of the suit, a chest mounted "Scylla" 580mm multi-phase energy cannon and a shield installed on the suit's left arm, equipped with a "Kaefer Zwei" 115mm dual ram cannon. Besides these weapons, the suit most times carries a large "Todesblock" 337mm plasma-sabot bazooka in its right hand.
As it is unable to achieve true flight within the Earth's atmosphere, and in order to allow Calamity to keep up with its flight-capable sister units; the GAT-X370 Raider is able to support the Calamity's weight in flight; in this configuration, Calamity uses Raider much like ZAFT suits use the Guul sublight lifter.
- "Schlag" 125mm High-Energy Long-Range Beam Cannon
- The primary weapons of the Calamity are a pair of backpack- mounted Schlag beam cannons, which rise up over the shoulders.A single shot from this weapon can destroy a ZGMF-1017 GINN easily. The cannons are also on par with the Archangel-class assault ship Dominion's Gottfried Beam Cannons.
- "Scylla" 580mm Multi-Phase Energy Cannon
- A high powered energy cannon mounted in the upper torso section of the Calamity. Based upon the same cannon unit incorporated into the GAT-X303 Aegis, it can deal serious destruction to anything that gets in the Calamity's path by slagging its enemies with a single yet destructive salvo. The cannon can also be used in conjunction with its other weapons for a pure destructive barrage.
- "Kaefer Zwei" 115mm Dual Ram Cannon
- Mounted on its composite shield, a salvo from these dual ram cannons can punch through enemy armor, as well as use it for pure barrage offense.
- "Todesblock" 337mm Plasma-Sabot Bazooka
- This is the only hand- held weapon equipped for the Calamity. The cannon fires out beam salvos rather than projectiles fielded by most bazooka models used during the war.
- Composite Shield
- In the left hand, Calamity Gundam carried a Composite Shield for offensive and defensive capabilities. Integrated into the shield is the "Kaefer Zwei" 115mm Dual Ram Cannon. The shield also appears to have anti-beam coating, allowing to clash and defend against beam weaponry, like the "Shwert Gewehr" Anti-Ship Sword.
Special Equipment & Features
In mid CE 71, the Earth Alliance collaborates with Muruta Azrael's Azrael Conglomerate to build three second-generation mobile suits to counter the G-units stolen by ZAFT. One of these is the GAT-X131 Calamity, a long- range artillery mobile suit, whose "Biological CPU" was Orga Sabnak. A close combat variant of the Calamity is also created, the GAT-X133 Sword Calamity.
The Calamity is first used in the conquest of neutral Orb, then sent to space and assigned to the Archangel-class assault ship Dominion under the supervision of Azrael, who is also the leader of the anti-Coordinator terrorist group Blue Cosmos. Near the end of the war, it is destroyed by Athrun Zala in the ZGMF-X09A Justice; equipped with the METEOR MS Support unit.
- Calamity's head crest displays the text "SEI X-131" (which means "Six" in Italian), and it is a reference to the Calamity being the sixth mobile suit developed as a second generation MS by the Earth Alliance.
- Despite these weapons, Calamity does not possess an Igelstellung CIWS vulcan