GAT-X207 Blitz Gundam
|First Seen||January 25, 71 C.E.|
|Last Seen||April 15, 71 C.E.|
|Known Pilots||Nicol Amalfi
|Head Height||18.63 meters61.122 ft |
|Standard Weight||73.5 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact energy battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, in standard cockpit in torso|
|Armor||Phase Shift armor|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GAT-X207 Blitz Gundam was developed for the purpose of conducting surprise attacks deep behind enemy lines. Designed as a stealth mobile suit, the Blitz features several experimental weapons and technologies. Among the weapons used by the suit are an anchor and a offense/defense system, mounting several weapons. Other than the "Trikeros" system equipped on a trial basis, the Blitz Gundam features no other specialized armament. Design-wise, it was unique among the four Alliance prototypes, as the Blitz featured Mirage Colloid cloaking technology that rendered it invisible to both sensors and the naked eye. In addition to the high defense power of the PS Armor from the X100 series frame, the Blitz Gundam adopts a specially renovated X200 series frame that takes these special functions into account.
- "Gleipnir" Anchor
- The left forearm of the Blitz mounts the "Gleipnir" anchor, a weapon which can be fired to pierce an enemy unit and then retrieved on a line. A similar technology is installed on the GAT-X105+AQM/E-X02 Sword Strike in the form of the "Panzer Eisen" rocket anchor.
- "Trikeros" Offense/Defense System
- Mounted on the right arm of the suit, the "Trikeros" offense/defense system is the main weapon and shield of the Blitz and includes several features. A negative aspect of this system is that its weapons are concentrated in the right arm (the Blitz Gundam is not provided with "Igelstellung" CIWS).
- 50mm High-energy Beam Rifle
- For medium-range combat, the Trikeros mounts a high-energy beam rifle. Taking energy supply into consideration, the Blitz Gundam does not carry the same beam rifle equipped on other GAT-X series units. Its output is slightly inferior but it consumes less power.
- Lancer Darts
- The Blitz has three lancer darts that can be fired or be used for close combat. These rocket-propelled shafts can penetrate armor and detonate. It can also be used as a handheld spear in combat.
- Beam Saber
- Mounted on the Trikeros, it is the Blitz's primary close combat weapon of choice.
- The Blitz is the first mobile weapon to use the Mirage Colloid technology. The stealth system is a field of microscopic prisms held in magnetic suspension around the Gundam by use of the same energy conduits used to generate the Phase Shift armor (which naturally renders PS useless while the Colloid is active). However, since the system consumes a lot of energy, it can only be activated for up to 80 minutes. Also, since Phase Shift armor cannot be utilized while Mirage Colloid is active, the Blitz is highly vulnerable in its cloaked state if an enemy is able to locate its position.
- As with all of the G Project mobile suits, the GAT-X207 Blitz is equipped with Phase Shift armor. When activated, the Blitz's color is changed from a light grey to a bright black scheme with red highlights. Phase Shift armor, when activated, renders the Blitz immune to physical attacks such as bullets, the GINN sword, or against missiles. However Phase Shift armor continually drains the battery of energy, shortening the mobile suit's combat endurance. Also, the Phase Shift armor draws on even more energy each time it is struck.
The Blitz is one of five mobile suits created by the Earth Alliance under its G Project during the Bloody Valentine War. Together with the other four units it is stored secretly on the Orb Union controlled space colony Heliopolis.
On January 25, CE 71 the Blitz, along with three other mobile suits of the G Project are stolen by ZAFT, with Nicol Amalfi becoming the designated pilot of the unit. Together with his comrades he uses his suit to pursue the Archangel to capture the last of the five suits, the Strike. During the Archangel's stay on the Eurasian Federation-controlled Artemis asteroid, Nicol uses the Blitz to infiltrate the asteroid base, by using its Mirage Colloid to penetrate the "Umbrella of Artemis" and severly damages the facility.
In late May the Blitz loses its right arm in combat with the GAT-X105+AQM/E-X02 Sword Strike Gundam and is finally destroyed when Nicol attempts to protect his friend Athrun Zala from a finishing blow from Kira Yamato. Nicol is killed immediately when the Blitz explodes.
Orb recovers the right arm of the Blitz, and uses it in the construction of the MBF-P01-ReAMATU Astray Gold Frame Amatu,giving it the use the Mirage Colloid system, in addition to the Trikeros weapon system. Another Blitz Gundam is re-manufactured and modified into the GAT-X207SR Nero Blitz as part of the "Actaeon Project" MS development plan.