Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Raider is a transformable mobile suit and the only second generation GAT-X machine to adopt the X300-series frame used by the GAT-X303 Aegis Gundam. Compared to the Aegis, Raider has improved anti-mobile suit capabilities when in MA mode and its transformation system is greatly simplified. It is actually a variant of the GAT-333 Raider Full Spec and maintains some of its characteristics, like a MA mode that is specialized for flight and the two large fighter plane-like main wings that give it full flight capabilities in the atmosphere. These wings also boost Raider's turning capabilities and acceleration speed on earth and in space, as well as allow it to serve as a subflight lifter unit for carrying other mobile suits (usually the GAT-X131 Calamity Gundam). During battles, Raider often utilize hit-and-run attacks and has Trans Phase Armor like the other second generation machines. Its armaments consist of a well-balanced set of energy weapons and shell-firing weapons, with some of them being only usable in flight mode. Lastly, Raider optionally uses a wire tethered mace-like handheld weapon.
- "Ahura Mazda" Short-range Plasma Cannons
- Mounted in the middle portion of the claws, these cannons have a short firing distance and are only usable in MA mode. They can also generate a short beam blade for close combat.
- 2-barrel 52mm Hyper Velocity Shield Cannon
- A shield with a built-in double barreled cannon, it can be used in both MA and MS form. It is mounted on the left shoulder when in MA form and on the right arm when in MS form. The 52mm hyper velocity shield cannons have two firing modes, semi-auto and full-auto.
- M2M3 76mm Machine Guns
- Two machine guns installed in the shoulders and are usable only in MA mode.
- M417 80mm Machine Gun
- A nose mounted machine gun usable only in MA mode. It is mainly used to restrict enemy's movements during dogfight, but also has sufficient power to damage non-PS armored unit.
- "Mjolnir" Spherical Breaker
- An exceptionally dense spherical mace that can easily destroy poorly armored units and even damage Phase Shift armored units. The mace is also equipped with a thruster to increase its speed and possibly impact power, and is attached to a handheld holder via an anti-beam coated macromolecular cable. As a result, the "Mjolnir" can be spun rapidly on its long cable to form a makeshift shield effective at blocking both beam and projectile barrage. However, as the mace is not anti-beam coated, it can be easily cut in half by a beam saber.
- "Zorn" 100mm Energy Cannon
- A short range energy cannon mounted in the mouth region of the Raider, it is usable in both MA and MS mode.
Special Equipment & Features
- A new version of the PS armor, Trans Phase armored suits do not change color when the armor is activated. It is a two-layer armor system with the PS armor in the inner layer activating only when the outer armor is breached. This design thus helps to reduce energy consumption and allows the equipped suit to have a longer operational time as well as for more power to be reserved for the suits's weapon.
In mid CE 71, the EA collaborates with Muruta Azrael's Azrael Conglomerate to build three second-generation GAT-X mobile suits. These suits used a more advanced technology based upon the old G suits and were piloted by "Biological CPUs". One of these new suits was the GAT-X370 Raider, a transformable mobile suit with a fighter-like MA mode specializing in aerial combat. It was created in a hurry for the invasion of Orb and was actually a simplified and rearmed variant of the GAT-333 Raider Full Spec. After the attack on Orb, the Raider and its "Biological CPU", Clotho Buer, was sent to space and assigned to the Archangel-class assault ship Dominion under the supervision of Muruta Azrael. The Raider eventually took part in several important battles at the end of the First Alliance-PLANT War, surviving until the Second Battle of Jachin Due. There it met its fate and was destroyed by Yzak Joule in the GAT-X102 Duel (Gundam SEED) and by Dearka Elsman in the GAT-X103 Buster (Gundam SEED Special Edition) using the Buster's hyper-impulse long-range sniper rifle.
Notes & Trivia
- Raider's head crest displays the text "OTTO X-370" (which means "Eight" in Italian), and it is a reference to the Raider being the eighth mobile suit developed as a second generation MS by the Earth Alliance.
- Like the Calamity, it doesn't possess any Igelstellung CIWS vulcans. Instead- Raider's missile interception system lies on the beam and machine cannons it possesses.
- When the Freedom was hit with the Raider's Zorn energy cannon, the beam was not able to penetrate the suits' armor. This may either be an oversight by the production team, or a demonstration that the sheer firepower of Raider's Zorn is not enough to pierce Phase Shift Armor powered by a Nuclear Reactor.
- The Raider's Spherical Breaker/Hammer is named Mjolnir, Mjolnir is actually the Hammer of Thor, a prized weapon of the Norse God of Thunder.