GF13-017NJ Shining Gundam
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Shining Gundam, piloted by series protagonist Domon Kasshu, represented Neo Japan in the 13th Gundam Fight.The Shining Gundam is equipped with two beam swords, two forearm mounted cannons known as "Shining Shot", head mounted vulcans, shoulder mounted machine cannons, and the signature "Shining Finger" ability. This attack focuses heat into the Gundam's hand, which causes it to glow green and allows it to easily crush the head of an enemy Gundam. It contains an Emotion Energy System, which if given enough input allows the Gundam to power up significantly, allowing it to channel the Shining Finger energy into one of the swords, creating a Shining Finger Sword, which is large and powerful. As most mobile fighters do not carry physical shields, the defensive capabilities of Shining Gundam rely on Domon himself.
This form is the most used version of the Shining Gundam. It is used when Domon is fighting another opponent without the use of the Shining Finger.
Available only when Domon is performing either the Shining Finger or the Shining Finger Sword. In this mode various armor pieces on the Gundam extend to resemble a Japanese samurai. The internal parts of the Gundam turn gold as the attacks are used.
Similar to the Super Mode, but Shining Gundam changes to an all gold color. The overall capabilities of the unit are increased tremendously. However, this mode can only be used when Domon is in a state of complete calm.
- Vulcan Gun
- Rarely used by Domon, the vulcans are mounted in the forehead. Which are primarily used for close range defense or for thwarting movement.
- Beam Swords
- Two beam swords are stored on the left sideskirt. These are primarily used for slicing into opponents' Gundams or parrying other beam attacks.
- Machine Cannons
- Rarely used by Domon, the machine cannons are located on the main body. Which are primarily used for close range defense or for thwarting movement.
- Shining Shot
- Also rarely used by Domon, the Shining Shot consists of two forearm mounted beam cannons that have destructive power. These are are only used when defending Tokyo's Shinjuku district from the Death Army.
- Smoke Grenade
- Again, rarely used. Throws a canister that blankets a large area in smoke. Used in Episode 1.
- Shining Finger
- Domon's signature move, the Shining Finger concentrates a large amount of energy into the Shining Gundam's hand, turning it light green. Domon then grabs the head of the opposing Gundam and crush it, thereby winning the match. Though the Shining Finger was powerful, it was only usable at close range.
- Shining Finger Sword
- A more powerful variant of the Shining Finger, the Shining Finger Sword concentrates the energy of the Shining Finger into one of the beam sabers, changing its color to green. The length of the saber increases dramatically and Domon is able to impale an opponents head with the sword. However, this technique was unreliable as it used the Emotion Energy System, meaning that it could only be used based on Domon's present state of mind.
- Emotion Energy System
Note: For more information on the Shining Gundam's history, please go to Domon Kasshu's page.
- Shining Gundam Urban Combat Type
- A different colored Shining Gundam used for combat in city areas.
- Domon also says the phrase when the Shining finger is used: “Ore no kono te ga hikatte unaru! Omae wo taose to kagayaki sakebu! Hissatsu, Shining Finga!” (“This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. It’s burning grip tells me to defeat you! Now here I go, Shining Finger!”)
- The Shining Gundam and it's successor God Gundam take their appearance from the battle armor worn by the ancient samurai warrior class.
- When Shining Gundam enters Super Mode and draws it's beam sword, G Gundam appears on the sword's blade in the first opening.
- In Super Robot Wars R, Rain pilots the Shining Gundam after Domon receives the God Gundam and keeps using it until the game's ending as there is no Rising Gundam in the game.