GN-001/hs-A01D Gundam Avalanche Exia' (aka Gundam Avalanche Exia Dash, Avalanche Exia Dash, Exia) is an upgraded version of the GN-001/hs-A01 Gundam Avalanche Exia, appearing in the side-story Mobile Suit Gundam 00V: Battlefield Record.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Although the GN particle propulsion system (native to Exia) allows for relatively high speed and acceleration, the unit is actually incapable of matching or exceeding certain aircrafts and spacecrafts in flight. To eliminate this issue, the high mobility equipment hs-A01 Avalanche was created. The hs-A01/D is a further upgrade on the hs-A01 that was made mainly for use in space. If the unit is operating within atmosphere, it would deploy GN Fields on the fuselage's surface to control the flow of air and increase mobility.
The optional equipment consists of a series of large-capacity GN Particles Condenser attachments, which act to store the particle production of the GN Drive for release in bursts. While the operational time of Exia Avalanche' exceeds what was achievable on the original Avalanche equipment, the GN Condensers still need to be charged before deployment. Normally, a GN Condenser is capable of displaying it's current status on its surface but this isn't possible on the Avalanche' due to the GN Condensers being visually blocked by the equipment. As a result of this, all the info is gathered and displayed on the main Condenser instead.
The standard Seven Swords armaments can be mounted on various locations and be quickly deployed for use. Avalanche Exia' carries the same Seven Swords that the normal Exia carries, including the GN Sword. However, their placement is different due to the bulk of the armor. The signature GN Sword and GN Blades are placed on attachments on the back of the unit, while the GN Beam Daggers/Beam Sabers are placed on the shoulders. Despite the fact that Avalanche Exia' carries the same weapons as standard Exia, their penetrative and destructive power can be greatly increased by combining it with the higher speeds the Avalanche' equipment is capable of achieving.
Avalanche Exia' possesses 2 different operations of modes: a High Mobility Mode and a High Speed Mode. The High Mobility Mode works by manipulating the GN Particle mass accumulated within arms, knees and feet. By transferring the mass around as needed, AMBAC and posture control of the entire unit is improved, which in turn increase the unit's maneuverability. In space, this can be done during high speed movements without consuming any particles. The High Speed Mode on the other hand, works by exposing all the yellow GN Verniers located around the body and use them to gain achieve maximum thrust. When this mode is used within Earth, the unit's arms and shoulders are combined in order to reduce air resistance, though this is not needed when it is used in space.
The GN Claws mounted on leg attachments can also emit a GN Beam Saber and use them in a similar manner as the GNW-20000 Arche Gundam. The Avalanche Exia' is the precursor of the GNR-001 GN Arms, and its data was eventually used to develop it.
- The beam saber is a hilt with the ability to activate beam blade by generating a positron field filled with GN Particles. While they are generally stronger than GN solid blades, one disadvantage is their performance varies depending on the surrounding atmospheric conditions.
- Possesses the same power output as the beam saber but was designed to generate a smaller and more concentrated beam that is harder to diffuse. Setsuna has made a habit of throwing them while in combat. This weapon type became obsolete in the future as the ability to manipulate beam saber length blades was achieved. Mounted on the back of the shoulders. The beam saber is a hilt with the ability to activate beam blade by generating a positron field filled with GN Particles. While they are generally stronger than GN solid blades, one disadvantage is their performance varies depending on the surrounding atmospheric conditions.
- Named as GN Long Blade and GN Short Blade respectively. These are Exia's customized solid swords that differ in size from the main GN Sword and took the longest time in Exia's arsenal to develop. Because the GN Sword has difficulty doing damage without a certain amount of swing and space due to it's size, these were designed in order to give the Exia solid blades that can be used in a variety of situations that the GN Sword has difficulty with. It possess the ability to cut through 2 meters of conventional E-Carbon armor.
- GN Claw
- A GN Particle infused claw weapon that is mounted on each leg attachment, they can also produce a beam saber.
- A shield mounted on Exia's left arm. It possesses an "expansion" mode where the left and right blue sections move outwards and increase the defense area the shield covers, but the drawbacks of this mode are increased particle consumption as well as a decrease in the overall defense property of the shield due to the increased area that GN Field element covers.
- A solid GN blade attached to a miniature forearm shield, which serves as the Exia's primary weapon, and the largest blade amongst the Seven Swords. It works by applying a GN Field over the solid sword which greatly increases the sharpness and cutting power. The blade can be vertically folded along the forearm, exposing the muzzle of a beam rifle.
- These weapons are smaller cousins to the GN Beam weapon. Typically locations include head and wrist mounted system, both ensuring a wide field of fire. Purely secondary weapons, they are used to engage soft targets, and in a defensive capacity. Their anti-mobile suit capability is virtually nil, especially against another GN powered unit. While there is no meaningful chance of penetrating another mobile suits armor, there is always a chance that a lucky round could damage joints or sensors. They can also be used in a "spray and pray" fashion once an enemy's armor has been breached, exposing their tender innards. So despite their low power, GN Vulcans can still be a threat no experienced pilot would ignore. While low damage potential limits their offensive utility, the trade off is a high rate of fire. This is very useful when engaging small, fast, maneuverable targets such as GN Fangs and missiles.
- Burst Mode
- Avalanche Exia' also possesses its own Burst Mode, a form that increases Exia's mobility at short distances. By spraying highly concentrated GN Particles around the battlefield, Exia is able to achieve favorable battle conditions for itself. The data obtained from this mode would later be used for battles tactics with the Trans Am System. Also, if the Avalanche Exia' were to ever use Trans Am, it would be using it in this form.
Gundam 00V Senki: Chapter 8
This chapter takes place during the events of chapter 2 - The Evening of the Falling Star, large number of asteroids are on a course towards Earth. Setsuna piloting GN-001/hs-A01D Gundam Avalanche Exia ' goes out destroying one asteroid after another.
Notes & Trivia
- The name Avalanche refers to the immediate elimination of all units before the attached Exia, as if in the face of an actual avalanche. The designation "hs" stands for "high speed" and "A01" stands for "Avalanche Unit 01" while the "D" means "Dash."
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 High Grade 1/144 GN-001/hs-A01D Gundam Avalanche Exia' manual
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 1/100 GN-001/Hs-A01 Gundam Avalanche Exia model kit manual
- ↑ Gundam 00V Senki Chapter 8