Technology & Combat Characteristics
Although the GN particle propulsion system native to the Exia allows for relatively high speed and acceleration, the unit is actually incapable of matching or exceeding certain aircrafts and spacecrafts in flight. To eliminate this issue, the high mobility equipment hs-A01 Avalanche was created. In order to achieve higher speeds, extra GN Verniers were placed all over the body. It also has the ability to reduce air resistance by generating GN Fields on the fuselage's surface and by linking the arm and shoulder parts together during high speed movements.
The optional equipment consists of a series of large-capacity GN Particle Condenser attachments, which act to store the particle production of the GN Drive for release in a 10-minute burst of ultra-high speed. It is however doubtful that the pilot would be able to withstand the acceleration any longer than that period regardless. As the condensers require a full hour to charge, it cannot be used in unplanned missions. The GN Condensers also usually display information about their status on the surface, however since they are visually blocked by the Avalanche equipment, the information is gathered and displayed on the main GN Condenser on the chest instead. The standard Seven Swords armaments can be mounted behind the Avalanche equipment and can be quickly deployed for use.
- GN Beam Sabers
- Mounted on the back of the shoulders, the beam saber is a hilt with the ability to activate a beam blade by generating a positron field filled with GN Particles. While they are generally stronger than GN solid blades, one disadvantage is their performance varies depending on the surrounding atmospheric conditions.
- GN Beam Daggers
- Possesses the same power output as the beam saber but was designed to generate a smaller and more concentrated beam that is harder to diffuse. Setsuna has made a habit of throwing them while in combat. This weapon type became obsolete in the future as the ability to manipulate beam saber length blades was achieved.
- GN Blades
- Named as GN Long Blade and GN Short Blade respectively. These are Exia's customized solid swords that differ in size from the main GN Sword and took the longest time in Exia's arsenal to develop. Because the GN Sword has difficulty doing damage without a certain amount of swing and space due to it's size, these were designed in order to give the Exia solid blades that can be used in a variety of situations that the GN Sword has difficulty with. It possess the ability to cut through 2 meters of conventional E-Carbon armor.
- A shield mounted on Exia's left arm. It possesses an "expansion" mode where the left and right blue sections move outwards and increase the defense area the shield covers, but the drawbacks of this mode are increased particle consumption as well as a decrease in the overall defense property of the shield due to the increased area that GN Field element covers.
- GN Sword
- A solid GN blade attached to a miniature forearm shield, which serves as the Exia's primary weapon, and the largest blade amongst the Seven Swords. It works by applying a GN Field over the solid sword which greatly increases the sharpness and cutting power. The blade can be vertically folded along the forearm, exposing the muzzle of a beam rifle.
- GN Vulcan
- These weapons are smaller cousins to the GN Beam weapon. Typically locations include head and wrist mounted system, both ensuring a wide field of fire. Purely secondary weapons, they are used to engage soft targets, and in a defensive capacity. Their anti-mobile suit capability is virtually nil, especially against another GN powered unit. While there is no meaningful chance of penetrating another mobile suits armor, there is always a chance that a lucky round could damage joints or sensors. They can also be used in a "spray and pray" fashion once an enemy's armor has been breached, exposing their tender innards. So despite their low power, GN Vulcans can still be a threat no experienced pilot would ignore. While low damage potential limits their offensive utility, the trade off is a high rate of fire. This is very useful when engaging small, fast, maneuverable targets such as GN Fangs and missiles.
Taken from Robert Spacey's narrative on GN-001/hs-A01 Gundam Avalanche Exia first encounter in Gundam 00V. As a young historiographer, I had the opportunity to accompany a UN inspection of the Union Army. At that time the Union military was faced with the problem of increasing its armed presence in South America and I went there to collect data out of purely scientific interest. It was then that it appeared. I was engaged in a conversation with the inspection team's pilot Deborah Galiena, when an alarm sounded at the base. Right after that, Gundam Avalanche Exia appeared in the sky. The Union army immediately launched a squadron of SVMS-01 Union Flag. However, the Flags weren't superior to the Avalanche Exia in aerial maneuverability, and were torn apart by the Avalanche Exia. The battle was over very quickly.
- The name Avalanche refers to the immediate elimination of all units before the attached Exia, as if in the face of an actual avalanche. The designation "hs" stands for "high speed" and "A01" stands for "Avalanche Unit 01."
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00P File no. 4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Chapter 1 "GN-001/hs-A01 Gundam Avalanche Exia"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 1/100 GN-001/hs-A01 Gundam Avalanche Exia model kit manual