Technology & Combat Characteristics
This GN Arms unit was specifically complimented after Gundam Dynames' ranged firing specialty for mobile armor (MA) combat, GNR-001D GN Arms Type-D. Its armaments includes a double-barreled GN Twin Cannon and a heavy GN Missile Launcher (can carry 180 GN Missiles). When combined with the Dynames to form a GN Armor, the GN Arms component can be controlled by a Haro, but this machine cannot fight independently unless it has a human pilot.
When the GN Arms Type-D combines with Dynames, it becomes known as the GN Armor Type-D. The GN-Armor itself isn't highly maneuverable with high speed opponents; it compensates with a GN Field against enemy fire. The weapons compliments is based on the weapons and themes of the Gundam counterpart.
- GN Claw
- Refined version of the GN Claws from the GN-001/hs-A01D Gundam Avalanche Exia`, the GN Arms' claws are only usable in MA mode. However, unlike the Gundam Avalanche Exia`, the GN Arms' claws cannot create a beam saber at the tip.
- Large-Size GN Cannons
- Two large cannons are built on top of the GN Arms and act as its main weapons. Although they consume a lot of GN Particles, they are capable of generating beams that are as powerful as Gundam Virtue's GN Bazooka. Their full power however is only usable when the GN Arms is combined with Gundam Dynames. During the final battle, Lockon linked the cannons directly to his controller.
- GN Twin Rifle
- The GN Arms Type-D is equipped with a double-barreled GN Twin Rifle on the right side. While its power is weaker than the Large-Size GN Cannons, it has a longer effective range. It is folded when not in use.
- GN Missile Container
- The GN Arms Type-D is equipped with a large GN Missile Container on the left side which can carry 180 GN Missiles. These missiles can be fired en masse on large targets like vessels, or destroying light-to-medium armored targets clustered in groups with ease, ideal in dealing with multiple targets. The missiles are pre-charged with GN Particles and have great destructive power. If the GN Arms is able to sneak into the enemy's formation and release a large salvo, a large military advantage can be gained.
- Utilizing the power of a Gundam's GN Drive, GN Arms can create a field by concentrating enough GN particles within a local area of space. The GN particles are shaped and focused into a spherical form for full defensive coverage over the unit(s); however, the field itself is not restricted to spherical forms. The field itself can wrap around any shape or size, so long as the necessary amount of particles can form around the surface it was generated/formed over. When the GN particles concentrate enough, the particles become dense enough to resist intense temperatures, physically repel and/or stop ballistic weapons and particle beams.
- The GN Arms Type-D cannot activate Trans-Am without a mobile suit with a GN Drive docked to it due to its limited particle amount. Trans-Am temporarily gives the GN Arms Type-D around three times its original performance capabilities.
After suffering several losses against Celestial Being, the United Nation Forces were granted access to 30 GN Drive Taus which resulted in the creation of the GNX-603T GN-X - a mobile suit that could resist Celestial Being. Fearing the possibility of defeat, Sumeragi Lee Noriega had Lasse Aeon and Ian Vashti retrieve the GN-Arms from one of their Lagrange resource satellites. Lasse retrieved GN Arms Type E, while Ian retrieved GN Arms Type D.
During the second UN attack, Lockon attached the Dynames to the GN Arms Type-D, taking out the majority of the GN-Xs. He then went to take down the Virginia-class Carriers, destroying two but before he could take out the last one, the Twin Rifle was taken out by GNW-002 Gundam Throne Zwei, piloted by Ali al-Saachez. Lockon had to eject, as a linear bolt destroyed the GN Armor. He later used the remaining GN Cannon to destroy the lower torso of Gundam Throne Zwei and the lower body of Ali al-Saachez.
Notes & Trivia
- The GN Arms Type-D resembles the Dendrobium, which is also a docking weapon system featured in the OVA Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory. Both carry a (pair of) large beam cannon(s) on the right side as well as a missile container which holds 108 missiles (The Dendrobium has more than one container, however), and they both feature a barrier shield system (Dendroium has a I-Field generator while the GN Arms Type-D has GN Field).
- The Trans-Am System was only seen to be used in the alternate Special Edition I depiction and was not used in the original TV Series.
Articles & References
- ↑ gundam00.net TV Series "GN Armor Type-D" page
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 High Grade 1/144 GN Arms Type-D + Gundam Dynames