The GN-007 Arios Gundam (aka Arios Gundam, Arios), is the successor unit to GN-003 Gundam Kyrios in season 2 of Mobile Suit Gundam 00. It is piloted by Allelujah Haptism. Similar to the Kyrios, it has the ability to transform in between mobile suit form and an aircraft form for high speed combat. It is later upgraded into GN-007GNHW/M Arios Gundam GNHW/M.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The new fighter body of Arios is meant for high speed flight and close combat, without compromising performance in atmospheric flight. Unlike its allied Gundams, Arios is a unit that focusses on speed rather than firepower. The unit also duals as a semi-mobile armor against enemy units. Kyrios originally had a GN Shield that could transform into a pincer claw weapon that could grab enemy units and destroy them with an electro-blade. While Arios has no physical shield, the pincer-claw aspect was incorporated into the design of the front body of Arios's fighter form. When transformed, Arios can grab enemy units to either remove a mobile suit out of the combat zone or literally clip them down with its GN particle infused pincer.
The clavical antennas that were formerly on Kyrios' shoulders were moved to the head. Arios also has stabilizer devices located all over its body including its ankles, knees, and back. By using the GN Particle's mass manipulation ability, they are able to act as high performance aircraft control mechanisms, while Arios is in the air.
To increase the effectiveness and survivability of combat, GN Archer was added to Arios' overall arsenal. The unit was formerly a Third Generation Gundam, but Celestial Being engineers evolved the design of a tail booster into a transformable MS unit for Arios. GN Archer is still a Tail Booster unit, granting Arios greater speed, maneuverability, and additional firepower with GN Missiles; the GN Cannon aspect of the original Tail Booster was never incorporated. GN Archer can break off from Arios for independent combat to help relieve Arios on missions, but needs to return to Arios to recharge as the unit is dependent on Arios for GN Particles. It is for this reason that Arios' GN Drive is located beneath the torso in between its left and right legs instead of being inside the chest like Kyrios. The placement here allows the GN Archer to directly connect to it via its nose and allows smooth GN Particle charging when the two units are combined.
Similar to its predecessor, it carries a twin beam rifle as it's primary weapon and a pair of beam sabers for melee combat. Arios' forearms contain sub-machine guns for rapid fire to spray a hail of beam fire against enemy units and can attack at greater speeds. It carries two GN Beam Shield emitters on its shoulders that can generate a protective beam shield, thus a physical hand-held shield was not made.
Unlike its predecessor, Arios does not have its Gundam face revealed underneath it during Flight Mode. This change was done because the need to "notify the presence of a Gundam" was no longer necessary in 2312 and also as an attempt to maximize the aerodynamics of the unit. For Arios to transform into mobile suit mode, the legs extend from their fixed position, and the feet fold inwards, covered by the sub wings on the legs. The large wings on the knees flip inwards to become Arios' kneecaps. The arms will then unfold from their locked in position and the rear skirt rotates downward. The sensor on Arios' nosecone flips backward, allowing the pincers to fold downwards and serve as shoulder armor. The head then untucks from its fixed position, revealing the transformed Arios.
- GN Beam Saber
- Located behind the front skirt armor, the beam sabers slide out for Arios to use in melee combat. The beam emitted is sufficiently strong enough to destroy a GN-XIII's lance.
- GN Beam Shield
- The beam shield emitters are equipped on both of Arios' shoulder binders. This new defense system is capable of generating a beam shield made of GN Particles, thus a hand carried shield is not used. Unlike the GN Field, it has offensive capabilities. In fighter mode, the shoulder binders can function as pincers and used the beam shield's energy to slice an enemy unit in two. The lack of a heavy physical shield also meant that Arios can be lighter which would further assist it's flight capabilities.
- GN Twin Beam Rifle
- The GN twin beam rifle is the main weapon of Gundam Arios. It is composed of 2 barrels so it can be fired rapidly for a higher hitting rate. The upper barrel can pivot, so Arios can strafe the ground when in flight mode. Compared to Kyrios' weaker submachine gun, this beam rifle can inflict severe damage, if not destroy a mass production mobile suit such as the Ahead.
- GN Submachine Gun
- Twin-barrelled beam sub-machine guns mounted within the forearms of Arios. The sub-machine guns are usually hidden under the forearm armor of Arios and are revealed when used for rapid firing. These guns have the same performance as the Kyrios' GN Beam Submachine Gun.
- GN Vulcan
- Mounted in the shoulder binders, on the opposite side of the GN Beam Shield emitters. The pair of GN Vulcans are usable only in fighter mode, they serve as secondary weapons due to their lower power and mainly used to intercept closing in enemy units or incoming attacks such as missiles.
- A system that temporarily triples Arios' performance by releasing highly compressed particles. The unit however will have reduced performance in battle after the time limit expires. Starting with this generation of Gundams however, Celestial Being adjusted the system so the performance drop isn't as extreme compared to before.
- GN-007+GNR-101A "Archer Arios"
- Archer Arios is the MS configuration when GN Archer is docked on top of Arios Gundam. It acts as a GN Tail Booster component for Arios to give the Gundam greater speed, firepower, and maneuverability. GN Archer itself is a transformable MS unit, but it can't transform or combine with Arios in MS form.
Note: The history and exploits of the Arios can be found on Allelujah Haptism's page.
Notes & Trivia
- In September 2009 special version of 1/100 Arios Gundam kit was released featuring designer's colors and markings.
- Arios Gundam, in its Mobile Suit form, resembles the GAT-X303 Aegis Gundam from Gundam SEED, while in Fighter mode, it resembles the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam's Waverider mode from Zeta Gundam. This is further accentuated by Allelujah performing a "waverider crash" maneuver during the final battle.
- Arios is derived from the Hebrew name Arioch, which means "fierce lion".
- Like its predecessor Kyrios, Arios can be launched in both fighter form and suit form.
- Also, like the Kyrios, the Arios is the tallest of the four Celestial Being Gundams, which corresponds with Allelujah being the tallest Gundam Meister at 6"1'.
- In the 2nd Super Robot Wars Z2 game, the Arios cannot transform on the field though the fighter form is seen in some of the attack animations. It got a movement boost to make up for it.
- Arios appears alongside GN Archer in Gundam Vs. as a DLC unit. Unlike the other Gundams, it has a cost of 1000, the amount usually relegated to grunt suits.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 High Grade 1/144 GN-007 Arios Gundam [Trans Am Mode] model kit manual
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 1/100 GN-007 Arios Gundam model kit manual - Mechanics Section
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season 2 Episode 3
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 HG 1/144 GN-007 Arios Gundam manual
- ↑ 1/100 GN-007 Arios Gundam model kit manual - GN Vulcan section