GN-XXX Gundam Rasiel
The GN-XXX Gundam Rasiel (aka Gundam Rasiel, Rasiel), is the experimental 3rd generation Gundam in Mobile Suit Gundam 00P. The original unit is piloted by Grave Violento, but its design is later copied by the Innovators and piloted by a clone of Hixar Fermi as the GN-XXXB Black Gundam Rasiel. Black Rasiel came under the possession of Fereshte in Mobile Suit Gundam 00I and was piloted by the real Hixar Fermi.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Gundam Rasiel is one of the many successor units to GN-000 0 Gundam and one of the predecessor to GN-0000 00 Gundam; an intermediary design and 3rd generation prototype Gundam. The unit was designed and developed by Celestial Being's (CB's) Krung Thep engineering team. Rasiel was built as a secret CB MS project; the Gundam was unknown to CB members except its engineers. Designed by CB engineer Ian Vashti, he wanted to enhance the capabilities of a Gundam by installing it with add-on equipment in mid-battle; its technologies would become one of the most pivotal for future CB MS development.
Rasiel is one of the most unique unit of all the Gundams created. It is technically a second generation unit to 0 Gundam; because it was built as a secret unit based on 3rd generation technology, it was classified as a 3rd generation Gundam with its serial numbers sealed to avoid identification. When creating Rasiel, Ian sought inspiration to its design and the result seems to be an amalgamation of several Gundams, Dynames and Nadleeh most notably; its upper-body frame was inspired by the AEU's Hellions. This gave Rasiel a fast attack profile, but its full capabilities are unclear.
For combat and systems, Rasiel's armament consists of basic MS compliments of a pair of GN Beam Sabers, a GN Beam Rifle, and a GN Shield. For mid to long-range combat, Rasiel would deploy its beam rifle and shield for shoot-and-block tactics. For close-range combat, it can deploy its beam saber for shield-and-strike tactics. However, its shield is smaller than the standard ones, utilized more as a large forearm armor for greater mobility and flexibility during combat; Rasiel is dependent on its speed and high mobility to evade enemy fire. For stealth infiltration missions, Rasiel can utilize its Optical Camouflage to hide from the enemy and its particles to disrupt nearby electronics. When additional firepower is needed, Rasiel can summon its support units (the GNR-000 GN Sefers) as either a separate backup unit or combine together to form GN-XXX + GNR-000 Sefer Rasiel.
The GN Sefers are actually a small fleet of fighter-like spacecrafts; designed specifically to deliver their GN Proto Bits as power-up components for Rasiel. Each Sefer unit carries a pair of GN Proto Bits and Sefer Rasiel can control up to eight additional bits (either manually mounted on Sefer Rasiel or delivered by additional GN Sefers) to form five different combinations of Gundam Sefer Rasiel. The GN Proto Bits themselves are experimental remote-controlled weapons, each equipped with a beam gun. Because Rasiel was co-developed along with the GN Sefers, its armor system is laced with hardpoints for the GN Proto Bits to integrate with Rasiel. Though never used on Rasiel due to its retirement from combat in A.D. 2302, by A.D. 2308 Rasiel could utilize the Trans-Am System for increased performance. Since Rasiel shares it GN Drive between the 2nd Generation Gundams, Rasiel can be fitted with a large GN Condenser for limited missions. Eventually, the data collected for Rasiel would benefit CB in developing future Gundams.
Gundam Rasiel's technology was proven invaluable in MS combat. However, due to technical issues at the time, the technology wasn't perfected in time for any of the third generation Gundams to benefit its bit technology; as an alternative, CB engineers used Sefer Rasiel's data to create the GN Arms support units Type-D and Type-E Because Rasiel was a secret MS project, it conducted its own shadow missions separate from the shadow support team, Fereshte; it was never transferred to their team either. After the discovery of the Twin Drive System and its instability issues, Ian took inspiration from Sefer Rasiel to create GN-0000+GNR-010 00 Raiser. However, the technology wasn't used by just CB.
In A.D. 2308, Rasiel's data was stolen by Linear Train Industries (with support from Ribbons Almark) and was used to develop the GN Fangs for GNW-002 Gundam Throne Zwei and GNMA-XCVII Alvatore. Four years later, the Innovators would continue to misuse the data for their own benefit to develop the GNZ series and the ESF would later acquire the technology to complete the massive GNMA-Y0002V Gadelaza; making Sefer Rasiel's technology one of the most influential in MS combat applications.
- GN Beam Saber
- The beam saber concentrates GN particles to form a heated beam for laser-like cutting. The weapon is capable of cutting most enemy targets and similar (if not exactly) to the beam swords used by the other Gundams.
- GN Beam Rifle
- The beam rifle is a mid-to-long range weapon. Unlike Dynames, this Rifle may fire powerful pulse shots, but Rasiel wasn't configured for sniping. Under a logical tactical presumption, the weapon is meant to anticipate incoming enemy MS units with long range beam firing, the cylindrical part below the barrel is the sensor package.
- As rasiel is designed for reconnaissance mission, its rifle’s attack power is lowered to increase its long range shooting ability. Compared to the other gundams, the rifle is thinner to facilitate ease of use but this also result in a smaller condenser. An alert is activated if the rifle’s GN particles are low.
- GN Shield
- The GN Shield for Rasiel is particularly small and light. Since the role of this unit is as an observer on the battlefield, its shield is compact. The shield is designed to resist light firearms. Precision blocking is used as the shield is too small for fending off more powerful GN-powered weaponry.-->
Special Equipment & Features
- Trans-Am was a locked ability during its use. Rasiel utilizes the GN Drive of GN-000 0 Gundam, after the events of AD 2307 (Aeolia's death), Trans-Am was unlocked; Rasiel never had the chance to fully utilize the drive after it was transferred to GN-0000 00 Gundam.
- Sefer Rasiel Form 1
- When Gundam Rasiel combines with one GN Sefer, they combine to form Sefer Rasiel, or Angel's Book. Bits are attached at the shoulders. Uses the bits as big guns.
- Sefer Rasiel Form 2
- Combines with two GN Sefers. Bits are attached at shoulders and feet. Uses the bits as big guns.
- Sefer Rasiel Form 3
- Combines with three GN Sefers. Bits are attached at shoulders, feet, and forearms. Uses the bits as big guns.
- Sefer Rasiel Form 4
- Combines with three GN Sefers. Bits are attached to the back, in a wing-like formation.
- Sefer Rasiel Form 5
- The 5th is the most powerful general-purpose form. Combines with four GN Sefer. Also, the 5th form shows there are similarities between 00 and Rasiel. One of them is the shoulder thruster system and they also have support machines which they are capable of combining with.
- Black Rasiel is a replica of the original destroyed Rasiel, under the command of Innovators. Unlike the original Gundam Rasiel, this unit is powered by a GN Drive Tau.
File No.13 Intelligence Agency
One day Grave, in a Rasiel, encountered 3 small Helion force platoons. Grave crushed all 12 of the machines in 46 seconds. He received an urgent message that CB members were having a gathering. With Veda’s information manipulation, the destroyed machine’s beam marks are to be erased, and the information that the disassembled Gundam is sent down through shady routes is to be concealed.
File No.14 Sefer Rasiel
Grave, piloting Gundam Rasiel, and Hixar, piloting GN Sefer, head to battle First Lieutenant Delphine Bedelia and Second Lieutenant Leonard Fiennes in the Tieren Taozi prototype, also called "Tieren Kyitwo". They head towards Rasiel who was caught in a trap. Grave was the one who fell into the trap of the new information about super soldier E-057, but he felt no need to hurry. The GN Sefer that Hixar was piloting was coming, and he knew the height of the ability of the Sefer Rasiel that was united.
File No.15 Sefer Rasiel 2
Grave, who is just ahead of the Realdo force, expanded the GN Stealth, and everyone (enemies) who started to move towards him halted. Hixar sorties, leading a troop with a total of 3 GN Sefers. With a part of the GN Sefer that was separately installed, Grave tackles the Tieren using the Sefer Rasiel, however, his companions were shot one by one. Hixar's pod is also shot, and it crashes. Grave was ready for close combat battle, but by this point, 5 GN Sefers led by Meister 874 materialized, and they united one after the other at the core block at the back of Rasiel. Having 5 bits at the left and right side, Sefer Rasiel, signifying the "Angel's Book" fourth form is its natural appearance. Grave cornered the Tieren Kyitwo, but because he didn't notice the battle continuation time limit, he let the Tieren go. Regarding the reinforcements of the Realdo force that had stopped their contact, the Gundam-related battle traces needed to be concealed.
File No.16 AEU Assault
The Helion force that was destroyed by Grave, and the mercenary force that saw the Orbital Elevator case have mobilized. A lot of arms, including the Agrissa, are borrowed from AEU at the suggestion of the mercenary troop's boss. Initially, news came out that it was constructed to trap HRL's new model " Tieren Kyitwo ". When again and again the Helion machines were shot down, those who remained retreated. Grave received a light-wave communication from the Agrissa that remained, and it asked, "Why, don't you want to know how I know about your team's existence?" At this question, Grave hesitated to attack. The enemy opened his cockpit, with both of his arms raised as a sign of surrender. The Rasiel landed in front of the Agrissa, but when the machine was near, suddenly the Agrissa covered the Rasiel in a plasma shield that was expanded. At the enemy's hands was a remote-control for his Agrissa. It was a simple trap. The Gundam could withstand this kind of attack received, but Grave himself was different. A human, who is made of moisture and protein, undergoes chemical change if exposed to a large electric shock for a long time. This meant that his vital signs would stop. However, even if Grave was in pain, his head was clear as water. A person who is a meister, when receiving any sort attack, is born to fight by using a Gundam, even if all consciousness is blown off. A particle beam is fired from the Rasiel, and the Agrissa is silenced.
File No.18 Gundam Virtue
In order to test Virtue, a mock-battle was setup with Rasiel. This time, Virtue is armed with mainly physical-attack-based weapons––”Physical” type. The fight between the GN Field-using Virtue and its opponent Rasiel is a close match. Hixar plunged into the line of Virtue’s beam, while Grave waited for the moment the Rasiel's bits to use up their particles and returned fire, making the condenser run wild, in an attempt to scatter the beam’s particles. He had to stop the mock-battle because of Hixar getting injured.
File No.22 Betrayer
In a certain desert, Grave fights with a Tieren Kyitwo. Grave, who is a combat-type Innovade, destroys the drive of the Tieren Kyitwo just a second after the Rasiel begins to move, and ends the combat. The unit has not been used since then because of the death of Grave.
File No.25 Friend
In outer space, Gundam Meister 874, piloting the new GNY-0042-874 Gundam Artemie, comes under attack from two GN Cannons and a mysterious white Gundam. Grave, being a combat Innovade, is revived by Dr. Moreno and Ian Vashti. He is given only 30 minutes to live and he takes the form 2 of Sefer Raisel(powered by a GN condenser)to help Gundam Meister 874. Grave/Raisel attacks Beside/1 Gundam. Though Beside attempts to override his data into Grave's mind, this fails as the latter's record was already erased from Veda. Sefer Raiser was highly damaged from the battle and eventually ran out of particles as Grave died.
A black version of Gundam Rasiel has been seen piloted by an Innovator clone of Hixar, accompanied by a clone Grave piloting a black version of GN Sefer. Both pilots battled Hixar with GNY-002F Gundam Sadalsuud Type F however they were no match for the original Hixar and were defeated.
Gundam Rasiel was once again seen in Chapter 8 of 00I, where Chall Acustica and Sherilyn Hyde were admiring the repairs of Gundam Rasiel being re-built from the Black Gundam Rasiel. Later on in Gundam 00P File No.S02 1.5 Gundam, Beside piloting 1.5 Gundam destroys some GN-III units and started a battle with Hixar Fermi piloting GN-XXX Gundam Rasiel. Beside uses the Alvaaron Cannon which only has one GN Drive Tau to power it, to take down Gundam Rasiel. Hayana is also present at the battle piloting GNR-000 GN Sefer, where she offers her assistance, however Hixar denied the support of Hanaya, as he wanted to settle this personal matter alone. He makes an effort to get close to Beside and engage it in close quarter combat with his beam saber. Beside defeats Hixar and leaves the battle.
Gundam 00I 2314
What's left of the original Gundam Rasiel unit that was flung into space in the battle that took place years earlier was spotted nearby Jupiter.
Notes & Trivia
- Rasiel is named after the archangel Raziel (רזיאל, Secrets of God), who is an archangel within the teachings of Jewish mysticism (the Kabbalah of Judaism). He is known as the "Keeper of Secrets" and the "Angel of Mysteries.", and is associated with the Sephira Chokmah (the second of ten) in Olam Briah, one of the Four Worlds of Kabbalistic theory.
- The Gundam War card depicts Rasiel utilizing the standard verniers on its shoulders for thrust as compared to the standard GN particles(as is for all the Gundams other than Abulhool). It is not seen in other media however, as Rasiel is usually seen emitting GN particles. Whether this is an error or a hint into Rasiel's capabilities, is unknown.
Articles & References
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Vol.3, Chapter 11
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00P, File No. 13 - Intelligence Agency
- ↑ Davidson, Gustav (1967), A Dictionary of Angels, Including The Fallen Angels, Entry: Raziel, pp. 242, 243, Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 66-19757
- ↑ Lewis, James R., Oliver, Evelyn Dorothy, Sisung Kelle S. (Editor) (1996), Angels A to Z, Entry: Raziel, pp. 346, 347, Visible Ink Press, ISBN 0-7876-0652-9