The GNMA-04B11 Trilobite (aka Trilobite), is a mass-produced mobile armor equipped with three GN Tau drives, used for underwater combat in season 2 of Mobile Suit Gundam 00.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The unit is armed with multiple torpedoes including two large ones that are capable of piercing GN Fields. In close range combat it can deploy six large claws, normally stored against the body. With three GN Drive Taus the mobile armor has a powerful thrust stronger than that of a mobile suit, at least underwater, however Seravee demonstrated that a mobile suit using Trans-Am can overpower the Trilobite easily. The unit is also no match to close-combat MS and can be sliced apart with GN Swords (such as 00). Tandem type cockpit, the rear is prepared with a residential block for long diving trips. The sensor camera originates from the Union.
The Trilobite is unique in several aspects. The first is how it is the only GN powered mobile weapon that can be used, or at least has only been used, in a singular type of environment. It is also the only GN powered mobile weapon to lack any sort of beam weapon, not even the mega particle cannon that was equipped onto every other mobile armor used by the Federation/A-Laws/Innovators.
- GN Torpedoes
- Standardized armaments for underwater bombing operations.
- Anti-GN Field Torpedoes
- These torpedoes can go through a GN Field and bomb a part of a GN Field equipped carrier such as CBS-74 Plotemaios II.
- Grappling Claws
- The Trilobite is equipped with 6 grappling claws for close-combat, two at the front of its frame and four in the back. The two forearms have pincer-like grappling claws which allows it to grip and hold targets.
- Electro Needles
- Stored inside the two forward grappling claws is an electro needle weapon. The needles are used to ram and puncture an enemy vessel and then deliver a massive electric shock to damage the ship's systems.
It first appeared in episode 4 of season 2 and it requires two pilots. The Trilobite is first sortied against Celestial Being and succeeds in stopping the Ptolemaios by using a combination of torpedo barrage to weaken its defenses, followed by a chemical weapon bombardment from its support ship, followed by a ramming attack from the Trilobite. But when it sortied against the Gundams it was quickly defeated by Seravee that pushed it away from Ptolemaios, Cherudim that provided covering fire, and was quickly destroyed by Setsuna's 00 Gundam in only a matter of seconds with the 00's GN-Swords II.
The Trilobite appears to have at least reached a limited mass-production stage since its earlier appearance in episode 4, as six Trilobites are deployed in the attack against Celestial Being in episode 9 of the same season.
Notes & Trivia
- The Trilobite is named after an extinct Arthropod also called Trilobite.
- The Trilobite is similar to the MAJ-03 Shuichai.