Technology & Combat Characteristics
Designed based on the technical and combat data of the GNR-000 GN Sefer and GN-001/hs-A01D Gundam Avalanche Exia`, Celestial Being engineers originally tested Gundam Rasiel and the Sefer units to perfect add-on peripheral equipment in mid-battle while also perfecting the applications of GN Bit technology. Unfortunately, development of GN Bit technology for the third generation Gundams was halted after the loss of Sefer Rasiel. However, Celestial Being engineers continued to develop a new support/peripheral system(s) to increase and enhance the Gundams’ combat abilities and the GN Arms was the end-result of their research and development.
Only two units were created and both of them were modified to reflect the combat themes of their respective assigned Gundams. The standard weaponry is featured in both units; both are armed with a pair of Large-Size GN Cannons and GN Claws. The cannons are hidden at the top-rear hatch, right on top of the thrusters. The GN Claws is a three-pronged weapon inherited from the Gundam Avalanche Exia Dash armor system. It is a melee-type weapon, meant for close range attacks. However, the original GN Claws were built with beam sabers for extended reach and had greater attack capabilities against enemy target(s); Celestial Being engineers (for some unknown reasons) removed that ability, limiting these particular GN Claws for mainly latching and tearing against its target(s). The claws are located at the underbelly of the GN Arms; they’re folded within the lower platform until deployed. However, while its standard weaponry makes it formidable, it is its specialized weaponry that gives the GN Arms its unique combative qualities.
GN Arms Type E has a pair of Large-Size GN Swords and the GN Beam Guns. The swords are larger versions of Exia’s swords; they’re GN particle-laced vibro-swords designed to cut through large targets (ex: mobile armors, spaceships, asteroids, etc.). However, they’re specifically designed to puncture through GN Fields in case their enemy(s) managed to acquire GN technology. Designed after Exia's primary weapon, the GN Beam Guns are built behind the sword. Although called guns, their firepower is comparable to Dynames' GN Rifle. The overall weapons silhouette gives the pair of gun-swords a focus in close-quarters combat (CQC), but balanced for mid-to-short range firing solutions.
GN Arms Type D has a double-barreled GN Twin Cannon and a heavy GN Missile Launcher (can carry 180 GN Missiles). It can be controlled by a Haro, but cannot fight independently unless it has a human pilot.
In terms of systems, the GN Arms is powered by GN particles. The units are built with GN Condensers to store a limited supply of particles; its pilot must be mindful of its particle reserves or risk a power-down in a compromising tactical position. However, the units are designed with a docking system that connects to their respective Gundams’ GN Drive to help recharge their particles for extended operation usage. Celestial Being engineers also installed a GN Field for added protection against enemy attacks. While not built into the GN Arms, either units can utilize the Trans-Am System through their Gundams during emergency situations to temporarily enhance three times their normal combat capabilities. However, its overall systems risk reduction in performance after all its particles are expended.
For combat, its native form is a fighter: GN Arms Mode. Able to fly in outer-space and Earth’s atmosphere, it can only utilize the GN Beam Guns and Large-Size GN Cannons for high-speed heavy assault combat; it relies on its speed to flank and shoot down its target(s), similar to traditional aerial dog fighting. Unfortunately, its remaining weapons and abilities are offline in this form and its weapons are locked in place, lacking flexibility and dynamic firing solutions. As fixed weapons, they are limited to shooting down its target relative to the body positioning of the unit itself. While the units can deploy a GN Field, it was never used in this form; it suggests GN Arms either can't deploy its GN Field or has limited usage in its fighter form. Another weakness are the units' limitations in traveling between Earth and space; to compensate for those weaknesses, the Assault Container can be deployed for enhanced tactical operations.
Celestial Being engineers realized the GN Arms have limitations, exiting Earth’s atmosphere and its overall mass is too great to fit into a linear train for a ride back into space. While not designed for the sole purpose of being an atmospheric shuttle, the Assault Container (AC) is a heavily armed tactical mini-MS carrier that can safely house the Gundam and GN Arms through some of the most treacherous conditions; the GN Arms bears little involvement in operations when docked.
When combined with the AC, the GN Arms’ overall systems are not utilized other than its thrusters (providing additional thrust power to account for its added weight into the AC). Its overall body is safely shielded within the confines of the AC along with its respective Gundam (although they’re not docked together in any special configuration). Combined with the Gundam and powered by its GN Drive, the pilot of the GN Arms is transferred through a special lift and ported over the AC's helm for manning its flight controls and weapons; the AC is in complete control and the GN Arms is just along for the ride. However, should the container become compromised, the pilot can immediately transfer back into the GN Arms and eject Gundam to escape and can recombine as a single unit for advanced combat.
When transforming into GN Armor, the pilot expands the unit into a large exo-suit combat system. The GN Arms opens in such a way that the Gundam simply "falls" back into the GN Armor, locks in place, and can utilize its systems in a matter of seconds. The cockpit folds up and rotates to the rear of its frame. The midsection expands and exposes a special docking module that docks directly with Gundam's GN Drive Cone. The lower modules fold out to reveal its GN Claws and foot platform to dock with Gundam's legs. Its fixed weapons are now unlocked and widened for Gundam's arms to dock and utilizing it as an extension of its arms.
Overall, the GN Arms units had proven their value in combat, however, it would be the last of its kind. While Celestial Being engineers continued to produce new support units in its GNR series, Celestial Being ceased creating of any kind of mobile armor. Instead, Celestial Being engineers focused on developing equipment to enhance the combat capabilities of their Gundams; it eliminates the need for mobile armors since their individual capabilities can surpass them. However, the combat and technical data of the GN Arms was used to help CBS-74 Ptolemaios 2, a multi-purpose warship that supplements and succeeds the GN Arms as the Gundams' most powerful combat support unit.
- GN Claws
- Refined version of the GN Claws from the GN-001/hs-A01D Gundam Avalanche Exia`, the GN Arms' claws are only usable in MA mode. However, unlike the Gundam Avalanche Exia`, the GN Arms' claws cannot create a beam saber at the tip.
- Large-Size GN Cannons
- Two large cannons are built on top of the GN Arms and act as its main weapons. Although they consume a lot of GN Particles, they are capable of generating beams that are as powerful as Gundam Virtue's GN Bazooka. Their full power however is only usable when the GN Arms is combined with Exia. When combined with the Ptolemaios as part of the Assault Container, they are also used as the main guns of the ship.
- Large-Size GN Swords
- Notably the most defining feature of the GN Arms Type-E, are it's two large GN Blades, one on each side of the unit for melee combat. Each large GN Sword has a GN Beam Gun stored behind the blade for ranged attacks. They are equipped with the same system as Exia's GN Sword, and thus are able to pierce GN Fields. Due to their increased size, their destructive power has greatly increased.
- GN Beam Guns
- A single GN Beam Gun is stored behind each of the Large-Size GN Swords of the GN Arms Type-E. As they were primarily designed for suppression fire, their attack power is not so high. However since they are installed on arms that can move freely, they have a wider targeting range than the Large-Size GN Cannons.
- GN Twin Rifle
- The GN Arms Type-D is equipped with a double-barreled GN Twin Rifle on the right side. While its power is weaker than the Large-Size GN Cannons, it has a longer effective range. It is folded when not in use.
- GN Missile Container
- The GN Arms Type-D is equipped with a large GN Missile Container on the left side which can carry 180 GN Missiles. These missiles can be fired en masse on large targets like vessels, or destroying light-to-medium armored targets clustered in groups with ease, ideal in dealing with multiple targets. The missiles are pre-charged with GN Particles and have great destructive power. If the GN Arms is able to sneak into the enemy's formation and release a large salvo, a large military advantage can be gained.
- Utilizing the power of a Gundam's GN Drive, GN Arms can siphon the GN particles from a solar furnace to generate a particle field.
- GN Arms alone can't utilize Trans-Am, but by siphoning GN particles from a Gundam, Trans-Am power can be shared in between both units when linked together.
After suffering several losses against Celestial Being, the UN Forces were granted access to 30 GN Drives which resulted in the creation of the GNX-603T GN-X - a mobile suit that could resist Celestial Being. Fearing the possibility of defeat, Sumeragi Lee Noriega had Lasse Aeon and Ian Vashti retrieve the GN Arms from one of their lagrange resource satellites. Lasse retrieved GN Arms Type E, while Ian retrieved GN Arms Type-D.
Lasse/GN Arms Type-E made it back in time to assist the Ptolemy crew after their first encounter with UN Forces with their GN-X's in space. Lasse would later transport Setsuna/Exia down to Earth to assist him in his investigations while testing out the capabilities in between GN Arms Type E and the Assault Container.
During the second UN attack, Lockon attached the Dynames to the GN Arms Type-D, taking out the majority of the GN-Xs. He then went to take down the Virginia-class Carriers, destroying two but before he could take out the last one, the Twin Rifle was taken out by GNW-002 Gundam Throne Zwei, piloted by Ali al-Saachez. Lockon had to eject, as a linear bolt destroyed the GN Armor. He later used the remaining GN Cannon to destroy the lower torso of Gundam Throne Zwei and the lower body of Ali al-Saachez.
In the final events of A.D. 2308, UN Forces successfully fended off Celestial Being. Last standing Gundam Meister, Setsuna F. Seiei, and Lasse/GN Arms Type-E fought against Alejandro Corner/Alvatore. The GN Arms Type-E managed to defeat the enemy MA, but Lasse/GN Arms Type-E was severely damaged from the battle and unable to continue the fight. After Setsuna/Exia defeated Alejandro/Alvaaron and subsequently disappeared, Lasse was rescued but it is unknown if the GN Arms Type-E was salvaged.
Articles & References
- ↑ HG 1/144 GN-001/hs-A010 Gundam Avalanche Exia' manual
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 High Grade 1/144 GN Arms Type-E + Gundam Exia (Trans Am Mode)
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season 1 Episode 25
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 High Grade 1/144 GN Arms Type-D + Gundam Dynames
Notes & Trivia
- The GN Arms bear a striking resemblance to the RGX-D4 D Gundam "Fourth"'s G-Cruiser.