GNX-903VW Brave (Commander Test Type)
The GNX-903VW Brave (Commander Test Type) (aka Brave), is the successor unit to the GNX-U02X Masurao and featured in Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer. The unit is piloted by Major Graham Aker, commander of the Solbraves.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Brave is the successor to the Enact and Flag series. Designed by ESF engineers that were once part of the AEU and Union, the Brave was built as an experimental alternative MS to the GN-X series. The unit is built with the latest in ESF-developed GN-Tech, and has aesthetics similar to that of its predecessors. Unlike the GN Flag (a single customized Flag with the flight unit replaced hastily fitted with a GN Drive Tau), the new Brave is a pre-mass production model, still in beta phase. The Brave's design and technology is based on the GNX-U02X Masurao.
In contrasts to mobile suits developed so far, the Brave is developed for use in an emergency deployment mobile suit squadron. This squadron would need to be deployed and enter combat zones in a short amount of time. In addition to its high mobility and the flight mode's long distance travel capability, the Brave also have overwhelming firepower.
The new transformation ability of the unit is helped in part by the Leif OS installed. While most part of the transformation structure is derived from AEU/Union flight models, the arms being folded to the rear is new, and revolutionized the entire transformation structure for the ESF. This is attributed to the feedback from data of the captured Kyrios.
The Commander Test Type have two GN Tau Drives mounted on its waist binders, similar to the GNX-U02X Masurao and GNX-Y901TW Susanowo. The standard units only possess one GN Drive Tau on the back. The Standard and Commander Types are for the most part identical in design; save for customization and upgrades for the Commander Type due to the fact that it was meant to be used with an ace pilot, with the Standard Type being emphasized on more easier controls. The largest noticeable differences being the Drive count/positions as well as the slightly longer antenna.
Unlike the GNX-U02X Masurao and GNX-Y901TW Susanowo, however, the Tau Drives' GN Particles are emitted directly from the GN Tau Drives. While the unit does have a pair of GN Tau Drives, they do not have a Twin Drive System. The number of GN Drives on the final production model will eventually be standardize based on the performance data of the two test types at the end of the test period. In the scenario where one of the side binder Drives is destroyed, the remainder Drive can be placed onto the auxiliary Drive socket on the back (same location as the Standard Type) via the binder support arm. The availability of three drive sockets also grants the Brave expandability and developability that enables various trials that speed up its overall development.
- 30mm Machine Gun
- Uses non-beam ammunition and is mounted on the chest. Primarily used to shoot down missiles.
- Chakram Grenade
- Built inside the lower legs. Rather than being a direct-blow weapon, it is actually an electronics warfare type equipment that can disable enemy's sensors by using particle interferance.
- GN Beam Machine Gun
- One mounted in each wrist, it trades in firepower for a high firing rate. Typically used to shoot down missiles or for point defense. Their main purpose is to act as rear firing weapons for usage during Fighter Mode.
- The Brave is shown to carry a GN Beam Rifle, which doubles as the unit's forward section in flight mode. When in use, the front section of the GN Beam Rifle splits in order to fire a powerful GN Particle Beam. Whether it can adjust its power output is unknown. Its alternative name is "Drake Howling". Just like the Susanowo, the Brave also possess the ability to use the "Tri-Punisher" attack by combining the beam outputs of the Drake Howling and the GN Cannons. However, this attack has a high particle requirement, which is why it is not used often. The Drake Howling has a short barrel mode that is never seen in the movie. It is formed by removing the parts of the rifle that split. This short barrel mode requires charging, and trades in firepower for firing speed. The Drake Howling can also fire non-charged shots that are less powerful, but can fire in rapid succession.
- GN Beam Saber
- The Brave's side binder(s) contains a GN Beam Saber compartment, where the GN Beam Saber(s) are stored. Each side binder stores one GN Beam Saber, for a total of two beam sabers. The Commander Type's beam saber is both large and has a higher output than the Standard Type.
- GN Cannon
- These are mounted in the Brave's side binders. They function similarly to the Gaga Cannon's GN Cannons, having a high firing rate, but have lower power output compared to the Drake Howling. Standard types have a smaller caliber than the Commander type. When the GN Cannons are fired, the front section of the Brave's side binders split open, revealing the cannons. They can rotate backwards to shoot incoming enemies.
- GN Missiles
- Stored in the side binders of the Brave, only two can be stored at each leg a time, for a maximum load of four missiles per sortie.
Special Equipment & Features
- The Brave's overall capabilities can be enhanced through the power of the Trans-Am System for a limited time. It is currently unknown whether the Drive(s) will suffer damage/destruction after usage like the Tau models of 2312.
- Energy Cable
- A cable that provides particle feed to the Brave's weapon when neccessary.
- Side Binders
- Stores the Brave's GN Cannons, Beam Sabers, and also wings for atmospheric flight. The side binders can rotate to function like a Defense Rod.
- Large GN Condenser
- Used to provide GN Tau Particles to the Brave for traveling long distances and can also be used to reduce the unit's own particle consumption. It is mounted on the rear end of the Brave when in flight mode and it is not known whether it is compatible with it's MS mode. Usually jettisoned during battles due to it being a hindrance.
Note: The Brave (Commander Test Type)'s history and exploits can be found on Graham Aker's page.
- Although it is said that the folding of the arm to the rear in flight mode is new and revolutionary, the mechanic was first used by YMS-02 Union Blast, and later by the SVMS-01 Union Flag in high speed flight mode.
- The head of the Brave Commander type resembles the Flag more, while the Standard type's head resembles the AEU Enact, even though the Flag is the MS with the uneven horns, this is in terms of visor design.
- The Brave Commander's weapons have been configured to match Aker's left handed combat style.
- The Brave is the first GN powered suit that Graham pilots that does not rely on beam sabers or swords as the primary weapon.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 00.net Brave Profile
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 HG 1/144 GNX-903VW Brave (Commander Test Type) manual
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Mobile Suit Gundam 00 A Wakening of the Trailblazer novelization
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 Gundam 00 Final Mechanics
- ↑ Japanese Twitter Veda 2314 profile
- ↑ HG 1/144 GNX-903VW Brave (Standard Test Type)