The GNY-001F2 Gundam Astraea Type F2 (aka Gundam Astraea Type F2, Gundam Astraea) is the upgraded version of GNY-001F Gundam Astraea Type F that appears in Mobile Suit Gundam 00F and Mobile Suit Gundam 00I. It is piloted by Fon Spaak and later by Eco Calore.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Astraea Type F2 is the enhanced form of GNY-001F Gundam Astraea Type F. During its time under Celestial Being's shadow intervention team, Fereshte, the engineers there decided to modify and enhance Astraea Type F with spare components of GN-001 Gundam Exia. These parts were recovered by Fereshte after the collapse of Celestial Being in AD 2308 and after the successfully integration, Astraea was officially re-dubbed as Gundam Astraea Type F2.
In terms of upgrades and enhancements, Astraea Type F2 is more combat-efficient in battle as it has both greater GN particle capacity and utility than its previous incarnations. Fereshte engineers replaced the old GN Condensers around the joints with new ones as well as added additional parts to the head antenna. This allowed Astraea to have better control of its GN particles for weapons and systems. The four antennas setup increases the particle control of the unit by more than 40%. This setup solves the problem of not being able to use the shoulder clevicle antennas when the GN Launcher is equipped but tradeoff is a decrease in communication ability.
For weapons, Astraea Type F2 is still armed with its original compliments: a pair of GN Beam Sabers, Proto GN Sword, GN Launcher, and GN Shield. Although the Astrea Type F2 is later equipped with the GN Hammer, that is just to test the weapon which is meant to be used by Fon's Astraea Type F. During critical situations, its pilot can execute the Trans-Am System to increase three times its normal capabilities. However, even with advanced high-speed combat tactics, Astraea Type F2 is still vulnerable to beam attacks. To that end, Sherilyn Hyde created a particle defense system that manipulated the movement of its particles during Trans-Am state, the GN Reflector, a GN Field-like defense system. However, instead of simply blocking the enemy's particle beams with a higher concentrated particle field, the system is capable of bending the enemy's beam away from the MS; the system is difficult to operate as it requires precise control over a limited amount of particles. Because of such difficulties, the system is only used by the most capable pilots.
- GN Beam Saber
- Like Astraea Type F, the Astraea Type F2 has a pair of GN Beam Sabers stored on the rear waist. Although the saber’s blade is made of pure energy, it can come into contact with solid swords as it incorporated technology that prevents repulsive diffusion of GN Particles. Has superior cutting power than the Union’s and AEU’s Sonic Blade as well as Plasma Sword.
- GN Beam Rifle
- Astraea Type F2 uses the same GN Beam Rifle as the Astraea Type F. It has high particle consmption, and receives power from the suit via connecting to a forearm socket during use. When not in use, GN Particles are frequently stored in the rifle’s internal GN condenser, and this allows rapid firing when the weapon is deployed.
- GN Launcher
- Same weapon as used by Gundam Astraea Type F, it is a firearm that is directly linked to the GN Drive after attaching to the area near the neck upon the removal of a clavicle antenna. However, the loss of a clavicle antenna will cause Astraea Type F2's particle control ability to deteriorate. It can also be used without connecting to the GN Drive, by sourcing particles from its internal GN Condenser, but this will reduce output and number of shots. Despite this, it has substantial fire power among portable GN weaponry. Up to two of these can be equipped at a time.
- GN Shield
- Same shield as used Gundam Astraea Type F, it is made of durable E-Carbon. The armor on Astraea Type F2’s body is also made of the same material, but the GN Shield is better at absorbing shocks from attack due to being attached to the forearm and thus maneuverable. In addition, GN Particles are coated on the shield’s surface. This not only improves the shield’s anti-beam capabilities, but can also magnetize physical projectiles, redirecting their destructive power along the shield’s surface.
- Proto GN Sword
- Same weapon as used by Gundam Astraea Type F, it is a large physical blade enveloped in GN Particles, and has the properties of both a beam saber and a solid sword. Due to its large size, it was designed to be foldable so as not to be a hindrance when not in use.
- GN Hammer
- Designed by Hanayo and improved by Sherilyn Hyde before it is manufactured, this flail-type hand held weapon is Fon's favorite weapon. A retractable wire connects the hand holder with the spiked-ball which houses a GN Condenser. Using the weight manipulation ability of the GN Particles within, the GN Hammer can greatly increase its weight when it hits a target, dealing tremendous damage. The impact can be strong enough to cause a concussion or even loss of consciousness even if the pilot is wearing a seatbelt. The armor thickness of current mainstream MS cannot withstand a single blow by the GN Hammer. Furthermore, the spikes on the sphere are made from the same material as the GN Katar and GN Sword III and can release GN Particles into the target’s body when it hits, destroying it from the inside like the GN Missiles. It is a weapon that can deal large amounts of damage while keeping its GN Particle consumption minimal. The GN Hammer also has four miniature thrusters to help the weapon launch quickly and impact its target with great destructive force. As a result of these thrusters, the hammer can move in weird trajectories. Astraea Tyoe F2 was the unit used for the testing of the hammer.
Special Equipment & Features
- GN Reflector
- The GN Reflector is a new experimental system installed in the GNY-001F2 Gundam Astraea Type F2 by Sherilyn Hyde, who also created the system. The system is designed to operate during Trans-Am as a counter to GN weapons, and works by allowing the pilot to manipulate the GN particles surrounding the mobile suit in its Trans-Am state. However, instead of simply blocking the enemy's GN-beam with a higher concentration, the GN reflector is capable of bending the enemy's beam away from the MS. However, the system is difficult to operate has it can only manipulate so many particles at a time and it required precise timing. Hanayo had mentioned how difficult it is to operate it and the chances of successfully using it are near impossible and that a normal pilot would never use it.
Notes & Trivia
- The unit name derives from the goddess Astraea, who is associated with the card Justice - one of the twenty-two Major Arcana in the Tarot. The other Gundam test-types follow this naming theme.
- Although the Astraea Type F2's forearms are exactly the same as Exia's, whether they are equipped with GN Vulcans is debatable as some sources did not list the GN Vulcans as part of the suit's armament list.
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Volume 2: Consonance of 00F.
- ↑ 00P Developement Report
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Senki Mission 6 "GN Hammer"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Consonance of 00F #20
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Chapter 20 "Fon Spaak"