Technology & Combat Characteristics
Years after completing their purposes, the GNY-001 Gundam Astraea and the other 2nd generation Gundams were transferred to Fereshte, a shadow support team to the primary Ptolemaios team, and upgraded for their use with the exception of the GNY-004 Gundam Plutone. The Gundam Astraea Type F (the 'F' is a reference to Fereshte) is the upgraded form of Astraea, and has a new paint scheme of red with maroon and brown highlights.
With the know-how from developing the 3rd generation Gundams being feedback into the upgrade process, the Gundam Astraea Type F's performance is comparable to the newer Gundams even though it is a 15-year-old machine as the original Astraea was built in AD 2292. The Astraea Type F is also fitted with a removable Sensor Mask that enhance its sensing capabilities and to prevent others from recognizing the machine as a Gundam. The second role of the Sensor Mask is particularly important, as no one should know there are other Gundams beside those of the Ptolemaios team. In line with hiding its Gundam identity, use of GN Particles by the Astraea Type F is also restricted.
The Astraea Type F is a general-purpose machine like original Astraea, and retains all of the latter's features. It is worth noting that the suit's three-thruster cover for its GN Drive also facilitates ease of changing the GN Drive within, which is helpful to the Fereshte who only has one GN Drive, courtesy of the GN-000 0 Gundam that was also transferred to the team. Since Fereshte must switch the GN Drive amongst its five Gundams, it can only deploy one machine at a time.
As the Astraea Type F is powered by a GN Drive, it also has access to the Trans-Am System, unlocked in AD 2308, that briefly boosts the machine's performance by threefold. Weapon wise, it uses the same weapons as Astraea: GN Beam Rifle, two GN Beam Sabers, GN Shield, Proto GN Sword, and GN Launcher, but also has additional forearm-mounted GN Vulcans similar to those of GN-001 Gundam Exia. After Celestial Being's defeat in AD 2308, the Astraea Type F was upgraded into GNY-001F2 Gundam Astraea Type F2 using Exia's spare parts.
In AD 2311, a GN Drive Tau-powered replica known as the GNY-001FB Gundam Astraea Type F Black was created alongside other replicas of Fereshte's Gundams (except 0 Gundam) by the Innovators for their own purposes. By AD 2312, these replicas were in the hands of ex-Fereshte members Fon Spaak and Hanayo, who repainted them in the Fereshte's colors and also gave them the same designations as Fereshte's machines. As they are powered by the GN Drive Taus, there are more operational restrictions, such as limited operating time, and no Trans-Am System.
The Astraea Type F created from the Type F Black has access to additional weaponry, including a NGN Bazooka, GN Beam Pistols, GN Hand Missile, and the new GN Hammer. When it carries all its original and added weaponry, it is known as "Gundam Astraea Type F Full Weapon" and can engage large enemy forces by itself. Whenever a weapon of the Astraea Type F Full Weapon is emptied or useless, it is discarded immediately.
- GN Beam Rifle
- Same weapon as used by Gundam Astraea, it is a particle beam gun that shoots out high energy GN Particles. The GN Beam Rifle has high particle consumption, and receives power from the suit via connecting to a forearm socket during use. Due to the forearm connector being movable, the GN Beam Rifle can remain attached to the forearm while the Astraea Type F has other weapon in its hand like the GN Beam Saber. When not in use, GN Particles are frequently stored in the rifle's internal GN condenser, and this allows rapid firing when the weapon is deployed. The second Astraea Type F, which is converted from the Type F Black, can store the GN Beam Rifle on either hips when not in use.
- GN Beam Saber
- The same close combat weapon as used by Gundam Astraea, a pair are stored on the Astraea Type F's rear waist. Although the GN Beam Saber's blade is made of pure energy, it can cross swords with solid blades as it incorporated technology that prevents repulsive diffusion of GN Particles. Has superior cutting power than the Union's and AEU's Sonic Blade as well as Plasma Sword.
- Proto GN Sword
- Same prototype weapon as used by Gundam Astraea, it is a large physical blade enveloped in GN Particles, and has properties of both a beam saber and a solid sword. Due to its large size, it was designed to be foldable so as not to be a hindrance when not in use. 
- GN Launcher
- Same weapon as used by Gundam Astraea, it is a firearm that is directly linked to the GN Drive after attaching to the area near the neck upon the removal of a clavicle antenna. However, the loss of a clavicle antenna will cause Astraea Type F's particle control ability to deteriorate. It has substantial firepower among the Gundams' portable weaponry, and two of these weapons can be equipped at a time, creating the 'Double GN Launcher'. It can also be used without connecting to the GN Drive, by sourcing particles from its internal GN Condenser, but this will reduce output and limits number of shots.
- GN Shield
- Same shield as used Gundam Astraea, it is made of durable E-Carbon. The armor on Astraea Type F's body is also made of the same material, but the GN Shield is better at absorbing shocks from attack due to being attached to the forearm and thus maneuverable. In addition, GN Particles are coated on the shield's surface. This not only improves the shield's anti-beam capabilities, but can also magnetize physical projectiles, redirecting their destructive power along the shield's surface.
- GN Vulcan
- Mounted on each of Astraea Type F's forearms, the pair of GN Vulcans fire weak beams. Capable of being rapid fired continuously, they are mainly used for restraining the enemy's movement and the likes. However, they are a threat to mobile weapons without E-Carbon armor. Implied to be part of the Type F upgrade as the original Astraea does not have such a weapon.
- GN Hammer
- Used by the second Astraea Type F, which is converted from the Type F Black, it is Fon Spaak's favorite weapon. Designed by Hanayo, then refined and manufactured by Sherilyn Hyde, the GN Hammer is a spiked ball attached to a grip unit via a flexible, retractable cable. Its spike ball houses a GN Condenser, and by using the GN Particles' mass manipulation ability, the impact upon hitting the target can be boosted by increasing the weapon's weight.
- Even if the GN Hammer cannot shatter the enemy's armor, the impact can be strong enough to cause concussion or even loss of consciousness despite the enemy pilot wearing a seatbelt. However, none of the current mainstream MS have armor thick enough to withstand a single blow by the GN Hammer. Furthermore, the GN Hammer's spikes are made of the new materials used in the blades of GN-0000/7S 00 Gundam Seven Sword's GN Katar and GN-0000+GNR-010 00 Raiser's GN Sword III, and can release GN Particles into the target's body when it hits, causing damages from the inside like the GN Missiles.
- The four GN verniers at the back of the spiked ball serve to accelerate the weapon when launched, and its trajectory can be controlled via signal from the grip unit, allowing for unexpected movements. The weapon's cable can also be used to grapple enemy unit, restricting their movements, etc. Overall, the GN Hammer is designed to inflict the greatest damage possible while keeping its GN Particle consumption minimal. The GN Hammer’s GN Condenser is recharged when the weapon is stored on the side of the hips.
- NGN Bazooka
- The first 'N' in its name stands for 'No', and as implied, it is a non-GN Particle firearm. Developed by the Earth Sphere Federation (ESF) forces, it is for used in battlefields where particle disruptions are employed.  Used by the second Astraea Type F, Fon obtained this disposable weapon by raiding ESF bases. Depending on the cartridge used, the NGN Bazooka can fire various physical projectiles including warhead that causes particle disruptions, or even GN beams despite its designation. Each cartridge contains about 6-7 phsyical projectiles.
- GN Beam Pistol
- A small beam gun developed for GN-002 Gundam Dynames' use. It has low firepower, but capable of rapid fire and consumes little particles. It is stored in dedicated holster, which allows it to be utilized by other Gundams. Fon acquired this weapon by looting the Fereshte's secret bases, which contained various equipment the team had recovered from Celestial Being's secret bases immediately after the latter's defeat in AD 2308 to prevent their recovery by the UN Forces. The Astraea Type F Full Weapon carries two GN Beam Pistols stored in their holsters that are mounted on the suit's leg hardpoints.
- GN Hand Missile
- A versatile Gundam armament, it was used by GN-003 Gundam Kyrios during the assault on Human Reform League's colony. It stores a large number of missiles within, and can be mounted on the hardpoints of the second Astraea Type F's legs and forearms, or handheld. Acquired by Fon in the same manner as the GN Beam Pistols, and discarded after use.
Special Equipment & Features
- A system built into the original GN Drives made by Celestial Being, it was unlocked in AD 2308 following Aeolia Schenberg's death. When activated, it causes the Gundam to glow red and briefly boosts its performance by threefold. The second Astraea Type F, which is converted from the Astraea Type F Black, does not have this system as it is powered by the GN Drive Tau.
- Sensor Mask
- Attached to the Astraea Type F's face to hide its Gundam identity, ensuring that no one knows the existence of Gundams besides those used by the Ptolemaios team. This removable mask also has sensor functions as implied by its name, and thus improves the suit's sensing capabilities. When the Sensor Mask is damaged and detaches during combat, the Astraea Type F will kill everyone on the battlefield to protect its secret. The second Astraea Type F used by Fon has no need to hide its Gundam Identity, but it still uses the Sensor Mask to enhance its sensor capabilities.
- The operating system of the Gundams is linked to Veda, allowing the super computer to provide support to the Gundams and their pilots. As suggested by Ian Vashti, Fereshte severed their links to Veda when it is evident that Celestial Being's plans were being compromised, and Sherilyn replaced the Veda-linked Operating System used in Fereshte's Gundams with a copy of the Ptolemaios team's stand-alone operation system. Without support from Veda, piloting the Gundams and completing missions will be tougher for the pilots.
Go to Fon Spaak's page for the full history of the Astraea Type F
- GNY-001F2 Gundam Astraea Type F2
- GNY-001FB Gundam Astraea Type F Black
- GNY-001F Gundam Astraea Type F Full Weapon
- The recolored GNY-001FB Gundam Astraea Type F Black used by Fon that is equipped with numerous weapons.
Notes & Trivia
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 1.34 1.35 1.36 1.37 1.38 1.39 1.40 1.41 1.42 1.43 1.44 1.45 1.46 1.47 1.48 1.49 HG00 1/144 Gundam Astraea Type-F model kit manual
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Gundam 00F Official Website Mechanic Page
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 3.20 3.21 3.22 3.23 3.24 3.25 3.26 3.27 NG 1/100 Gundam Astraea Type-F model kit manual
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 ‘Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Sidestory' Book
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Gundam 00P Celestial Being Fereshte Development Report – Gundam Astraea Type F (Page 2)
- ↑ Gundam 00P Celestial Being Fereshte Development Report – Gundam Astraea Type F (Page 1)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Gundam 00P Mechanic File 001-2 Gundam Astraea Type F
- ↑ Gundam 00P Mechanic File 001-4 Gundam Astraea Type F2
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Chapter 6
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Chapter 7 to 9
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Chapter 19
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 MS development chart from 'Gundam Weapons - Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Special Edition' book
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 Gundam 00I Official Website Mechanic Page
- ↑ 14.00 14.01 14.02 14.03 14.04 14.05 14.06 14.07 14.08 14.09 14.10 14.11 Gundam 00P Mechanic File 301-1 Gundam Astraea Type F
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 Mobile Suit Gundam 00V: Battlefield Record - Gundam Astraea Type F Full Weapon & GN Hammer Profile (Mid & Bottom)
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 16.4 16.5 16.6 Mobile Suit Gundam 00P Special Edition File No.S01
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 Mobile Suit Gundam 00I Chapter 10
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00F Chapter 14
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 19.5 Mobile Suit Gundam 00V: Battlefield Record Chapter 6
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 48, Flower of Life
- ↑ ’Gundam 00 Mechanic-Final’ Book
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00I Chapter 6
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00I Chapter 9
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 23, Stop the World
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 21, Path of Destruction