GNY-001F Gundam Astraea Type F
The GNY-001F Gundam Astraea Type F (aka Gundam Astraea Type F, Gundam Astraea, Astraea Type F) is an upgraded version of the GNY-001 Gundam Astraea that appears in Mobile Suit Gundam 00F. The unit is piloted by Fon Spaak.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Gundam Astraea Type F is the altered and enhanced form of GNY-001 Gundam Astraea. After Astraea completed beta-testing phase with Krung Thep, Celestial Being used its data to help develop the 3rd generation Gundams. Although Astraea itself was succeeded by GN-001 Gundam Exia, Astraea still had tactical value to Celestial Being and was transferred to their shadow support team, Fereshte.
When Astraea was initially introduced in AD 2292, its paint scheme was white with blue and red highlights. By AD 2307, Celestial Being decided to keep only the third generation Gundams known to the world (except GN-XXX Gundam Rasiel), but wanted the second generation Gundams to perform shadow interventions under Fereshte; its paint scheme had been altered to red with light brown highlights and its MS face has been covered with a Sensor Mask to disguise the fact that it's a Gundam.
For weapons and combat, Astraea Type F maintained its original equipment: GN Beam Rifle, two GN Beam Sabers, GN Shield, Proto GN Sword, and GN Launcher. For mid-to-long ranged combat, Astraea can deploy its rifle and shield for mid-range combat; for greater firepower, it can use the GN Launcher to devastate enemy forces. For close combat, Astraea deploys its Proto GN Sword, its GN Beam Sabers, or its GN Vulcans to suppress enemy fire. As Exia's predecessor, it also utilizes advanced combat methods of shield-and-strike tactics when battling enemy targets.
After Celestial Being's defeat in AD 2308, Fereshte's Astraea Type F was upgraded to GNY-001F2 Gundam Astraea Type F2, enhanced with the gathered spare parts of GN-001 Gundam Exia. With Astraea's adaptation to Exia's parts, it granted the unit with greater energy efficiency and better control with its GN Particles.
Astraea Type F's design would return in AD 2311, when the Innovators replicated the upgraded versions of the 2nd generation Gundams and have them powered by GN Drive Taus. The Innovator's Astraea Type F was classified as GNY-001FB Black Gundam Astraea Type F. Former Gundam Meister Fon Spaak managed to later procure the replica, renamed the unit back to its original designation. The unit was given additional weaponry, including a NGN Bazooka stolen from the ESF, GN Pistols (from Dynames), GN Hand Missile (from Kyrios), and the recently developed GN Hammer.; its new arsenal additions greatly increases Astraea Type F's adaptability in combat and is named "Gundam Astraea Type F Full Weapon". Overall, Astraea Type F has proven to be one of the most enduring units designed. Despite its antiquity to its more advanced MS contemporaries, Astraea Type F continues to be an adversarial threat to those who challenge it.
- GN Beam Rifle
- A standard GN beam rifle. In order to improve firing rate and reduce the chances disruption due to shortage of power, it was equipped with an internal GN Condenser and is one of the earliest weapons that did so. Because it uses a lot of GN Particles, an additional solid connector is placed onto the arm in order to increase supply.
- GN Beam Sabers
- The Astraea is armed with two beam sabers, docked behind either side of the waist.
- Proto GN Sword
- A physical blade that has its surfaced laced with GN Particles. As it's name suggests was a prototype to Exia's GN Sword, and was the first GN particle-lined physical blade created by Celestial Being. At its inception, it was a new type of weapon that was designed to incorporate the properties of both a beam saber and a physical sword. Due to its large size, it was designed to be foldable when not in use in order to prevent interference during battle. Despite the fact that the real GN Sword had been completed by the time of Type F's deployment, it still uses the original prototype version of the weapon.
- GN Launcher
- The Astraea can be armed with a GN Launcher, docked in front of the Gundam. The GN Launcher yields higher output when directly connected to the GN Drive via the clavical antenna area. However doing this requires the removal of one of the clavical antennas, and will cause Astraea's particle control ability to deteriorate as a consequence.  When it is detached from the connector, it still holds substantial fire power among portable GN weaponry, sourcing particles from its GN Condenser. Up to two of these can be equipped at a time.
- GN Shield
- A powerful shield made from strong E-Carbon and Astraea's main defensive equipment. While Astraea's main armor is already made from E-Carbon, the shield has the advantage of being maneuverable since it is attached to the arm and can be used to absorb shocks from attacks. In addition, GN Particles are lined up on the surface in order to increase it's defensive properties. It is less streamline in appearance versus the Exia's shield design, with no sharp edges.
- GN Vulcans
- Beam vulcans located on each of Astraea Type F's wrists. They are low power weapons that mostly used for suppressive fire. Conventional units that do not possess E-Carbon as especially vulnerable to them. The GN Vulcans were mentioned to be equipped on the Astraea Type F, but are not listed or mentioned for the original Astraea. This suggests that they were part of the Type F upgrade.
- GN Hammer
- Designed by Hanayo and improved by Sherilyn Hyde before it is maunfactured, this flail-type hand held weapon is Fon's favorite weapon. A retractable wire connects the hand holder with the spiked-ball which houses a GN Condenser. Using the weight manipulation ability of the GN Particles within, the GN Hammer can greatly increase its weight when it hits a target, dealing tremendous damage. The impact can be strong enough to cause a concussion or even loss of consciousness even if the pilot is wearing a seatbelt. The armor thickness of current mainstream MS cannot withstand a single blow by the GN Hammer. Furthermore, the spikes on the sphere are made from the same material as the GN Katar and GN Sword III and can release GN Particles into the target’s body when it hits, destroying it from the inside like the GN Missiles. It is a weapon that can deal large amounts of damage while keeping its GN Particle consumption minimal. The GN Hammer also has four miniature thrusters to help the weapon launch quickly and impact its target with great destructive force. As a result of these thrusters, the hammer can move in weird trajectories beyond the laws of physics.
- NGN Bazooka
- A Federation produced weapon used in situations where particle disruptions are employed, such as anti fields. It has the choice of loading up GN missiles or solid rounds. This bazooka was looted by Fon from a Federation base. The "NGN" acronym in its name refers to "Non GN", referring to its nature of not using GN Particles in its designated usage as it is simply a projectile launcher.
- GN Pistols
- Originating from the GN-002 Gundam Dynames, two of them are part of the Astraea Type F's Full Weapon Pack and are stored in containers attached to the lower legs below the knee similar to how the Dynames stored them. While they have a high rate of fire and consume little GN Particles, their attack power is low.
- GN Hand Missile
- General purpose Gundam equipment that originated from GN-003 Gundam Kyrios and also as an optional equipment for the GNR-010 0 Raiser. It is the same weapon type that was used by Kyrios during the intervention at Human Reform League's colony. The weapon has capability to store a large number of missiles within it. In addition to being wielded by hand, it is also possible for the weapon to be mounted on the leg.
Special Equipment & Features
- The Trans-Am System is available for Celestial Being's Original Drive version of Astraea Type F but not the recoloured Innovators's Tau Drive version.
- Sensor Mask
- A sensor mask used on Astraea Type F's face to hide the fact that it is a Gundam. In addition to hiding the Gundam face, it is also acts as a sensor. The original Fereshte version used it mainly to hide Astraea's identity. Fon's Full Weapon variant has no need to hide its Gundam identity, but still uses it to enhance its sensor capability.
Go to Fon Spaak's page for the full history of the Astraea Type F
- GNY-001F/hs-A01D Gundam Avalanche Astraea Type F`
- GNY-001F2 Gundam Astraea Type F2
- GNY-001FB Black Gundam Astraea Type F
- GNY-001F Gundam Astraea Type F Full Weapon
- The recolored GNY-001FB used by Fon that is equipped with a large range of both old and new weapons. Like the Black Astraea F, it uses a Tau Drive.
Notes & Trivia
- The unit name derives from the goddess Astraea, who is associated with the card Justice—one of the twenty-two Major Arcana in the Tarot. The other Gundam test-types follow this same naming theme.
- Although the Astraea Type F's forearms are exactly the same as Exia's, whether they are equipped with GN Vulcans is debatable as some sources did not list the GN Vulcans as part of the suit's armament list.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 HG Astraea Type F manual, translation by calubin_175
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Gundam 00V Gundam Weapons
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Dengeki Data Collection
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.9 1/100 GNY-001 Gundam Astraea
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 5.13 High Grade 1/144 GNY-001F Gundam Astraea Type F model kit manual
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Senki Mission 6 "GN Hammer"