Technology & Combat Characteristics
Gundam Astraea Type F is the enhanced form of GNY-001 Gundam Astraea. After Astraea completed its testing with Krung Thep, Celestial Being used its data to help develop the 3rd generation Gundams. Although Astraea itself was succeeded by GN-001 Gundam Exia, Astraea still had tactical value and was transferred to their shadow support team, Fereshte.
When Astraea was introduced in AD 2292, its paint scheme was white with blue and red highlights. By AD 2307, Celestial Being decided to keep only the 3rd generation Gundams known to the world (except GN-XXX Gundam Rasiel), but wanted the 2nd generation Gundams to perform shadow missions under Fereshte; its paint scheme was altered to red with light brown highlights, and its face covered with a Sensor Mask to disguise the fact that it's a Gundam.
For weapons, Astraea Type F maintained its original equipment: GN Beam Rifle, two GN Beam Sabers, GN Shield, Proto GN Sword, and GN Launcher. After Celestial Being's defeat in AD 2308, Fereshte's Astraea Type F was upgraded to GNY-001F2 Gundam Astraea Type F2, enhanced with the gathered spare parts of GN-001 Gundam Exia. With Astraea's adaptation to Exia's parts, it granted the unit with greater energy efficiency and better control of its GN Particles.
Astraea Type F's design would return in AD 2311, when the Innovators copied all the upgraded versions of the 2nd generation Gundams and have them powered by GN Drive Taus. The Innovator's Astraea Type F was classified as GNY-001FB Gundam Astraea Type F Black. Former Gundam Meister Fon Spaak later procure these replica, renaming them back to its original Type F designation. The unit was given additional weaponry, including a NGN Bazooka, GN Pistols, GN Hand Missile, and the recently developed GN Hammer.. Its new arsenal additions greatly increases Astraea Type F's adaptability in combat and is named "Gundam Astraea Type F Full Weapon".
- GN Beam Rifle
- Same weapon as used by Gundam Astraea, it is a particle beam gun that shoots out high energy GN Particles. The GN Beam Rifle has high particle consmption, and receives power from the suit via connecting to a forearm socket during use. When not in use, GN Particles are frequently stored in the rifle’s internal GN condenser, and this allows rapid firing when the weapon is deployed.
- GN Beam Saber
- The same close combat weapon as used by Gundam Astraea. Although the saber’s blade is made of pure energy, it can cross swords with solid blades as it incorporated technology that prevents repulsive diffusion of GN Particles. Has superior cutting power than the Union’s and AEU’s Sonic Blade as well as Plasma Sword. A pair of GN Beam Sabers are stored on the Astraea Type F's rear waist.
- Proto GN Sword
- Same weapon as used by Gundam Astraea, it is a large physical blade enveloped in GN Particles, and has properties of both a beam saber and a solid sword. Due to its large size, it was designed to be foldable so as not to be a hindrance when not in use.
- GN Launcher
- Same weapon as used by Gundam Astraea, it is a firearm that is directly linked to the GN Drive after attaching to the area near the neck upon the removal of a clavicle antenna. However, the loss of a clavicle antenna will cause Astraea Type F's particle control ability to deteriorate. It can also be used without connecting to the GN Drive, by sourcing particles from its internal GN Condenser, but this will reduce output and number of shots. Despite this, it has substantial fire power among portable GN weaponry. Up to two of these can be equipped at a time.
- GN Shield
- Same shield as used Gundam Astraea, it is made of durable E-Carbon. The armor on Astraea Type F’s body is also made of the same material, but the GN Shield is better at absorbing shocks from attack due to being attached to the forearm and thus maneuverable. In addition, GN Particles are coated on the shield’s surface. This not only improves the shield’s anti-beam capabilities, but can also magnetize physical projectiles, redirecting their destructive power along the shield’s surface.
- GN Vulcan
- Beam vulcans located on each of Astraea Type F's wrists. They are low power weapons that mostly used for suppressive fire. Conventional units that do not possess E-Carbon are especially vulnerable to them. The GN Vulcans were mentioned to be equipped on the Astraea Type F, but are not listed or mentioned for the original Astraea. This suggests that they were part of the Type F upgrade.
- GN Hammer
- Designed by Hanayo and improved by Sherilyn Hyde before it is maunfactured, this flail-type hand held weapon is Fon's favorite weapon. A retractable wire connects the hand holder with the spiked-ball which houses a GN Condenser. Using the weight manipulation ability of the GN Particles within, the GN Hammer can greatly increase its weight when it hits a target, dealing tremendous damage. The impact can be strong enough to cause a concussion or even loss of consciousness even if the pilot is wearing a seatbelt. The armor thickness of current mainstream MS cannot withstand a single blow by the GN Hammer. Furthermore, the spikes on the sphere are made from the same material as the GN Katar and GN Sword III and can release GN Particles into the target’s body when it hits, destroying it from the inside like the GN Missiles. It is a weapon that can deal large amounts of damage while keeping its GN Particle consumption minimal. The GN Hammer also has four miniature thrusters to help the weapon launch quickly and impact its target with great destructive force. As a result of these thrusters, the hammer can move in weird trajectories beyond the laws of physics.
- NGN Bazooka
- A Federation produced weapon used in situations where particle disruptions are employed, such as anti fields. It has the choice of loading up GN missiles or solid rounds. This bazooka was looted by Fon from a Federation base. The "NGN" acronym in its name refers to "Non GN", referring to its nature of not using GN Particles in its designated usage as it is simply a projectile launcher.
- GN Pistols
- Originating from the GN-002 Gundam Dynames, two of them are part of the Astraea Type F's Full Weapon Pack and are stored in containers attached to the lower legs similar to how the Dynames stored them. While they have a high rate of fire and consume little GN Particles, their attack power is low.
- GN Hand Missile
- A general purpose Gundam equipment, it was used GN-003 Gundam Kyrios during the assault on Human Reform League's colony, and also serve as an optional equipment for the GNR-010 0 Raiser. It has the capability to store a large number of missiles within it. In addition to being wielded by hand, it is also possible for the weapon to be mounted on the leg.
Special Equipment & Features
- The Trans-Am System is available for Celestial Being's Original Drive version of Astraea Type F but not the recoloured Innovators's Tau Drive version.
- Sensor Mask
- A sensor mask mounted on Astraea Type F's face to hide the fact that it is a Gundam. In addition to hiding the Gundam face, it is also acts as a sensor. The original Fereshte version used it mainly to hide Astraea's identity. Fon's Full Weapon variant has no need to hide its Gundam identity, but still uses it to enhance its sensor capability.
Go to Fon Spaak's page for the full history of the Astraea Type F
- GNY-001F/hs-A01D Gundam Avalanche Astraea Type F`
- GNY-001F2 Gundam Astraea Type F2
- GNY-001FB Gundam Astraea Type F Black
- GNY-001F Gundam Astraea Type F Full Weapon
- The recolored GNY-001FB Gundam Astraea Type F Black used by Fon that is equipped with numerous weapons.
Notes & Trivia
- The unit name derives from the goddess Astraea, who is associated with the card Justice—one of the twenty-two Major Arcana in the Tarot. The other Gundam test-types follow this same naming theme.
- Although the Astraea Type F's forearms are exactly the same as Exia's, whether they are equipped with GN Vulcans is debatable as some sources did not list the GN Vulcans as part of the suit's armament list.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Gundam 00V Gundam Weapons
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dengeki Data Collection
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 1/100 GNY-001 Gundam Astraea
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 HG Astraea Type F manual, translation by calubin_175
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 High Grade 1/144 GNY-001F Gundam Astraea Type F model kit manual
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Senki Mission 6 "GN Hammer"