|Functional Purpose||Radio & Sensor Disruption
Gundam Nucleus (GN) Particles are exotic particles in Mobile Suit Gundam 00 that are created by GN Drives and GN Tau Drives. These highly unique and previously unobserved particles are the foundation of modern mobile suit technology, and the cornerstone of Aeolia Schenberg's plan.
Description & Characteristics
Unlike standard-flavour particles of the same class, GN Particles are decayed baryons like muons, boson w. particles, and photons. It is responsive to an unspecified machine-producible interactive force, thus exploited by Celestial Being for a variety of uses as part of an electromagnetic stealth measure to disrupt radar, a physical barrier, propellant for GN Verniers, a coat that improves the cutting ability of physical blades, and to reinforce armor. Another special ability of GN Particles is the reduction of weight, or rather the pull of gravity on mass. This property is used within the atmosphere in order to help the mobility and movement of the mobile suit.
Particle Color List & Descriptives
At the basic level, all variations of the GN Drive produce the same GN Particles. Their differing visual appearance and other effects comes from the particles being tuned to respond to various wavelengths. For example, Celestial Being's original GN Drives emit their particles at a wavelength corresponding to the green portion of the visible spectrum. Here is a list of all the GN Particle color types in the series and their general properties:
- Red - Used by all the known GN Drive Taus(aka imitation solar furnaces) during A.D. 2308. These particles are optimised for beam performance by having high compression rates. However, a side-effect of this is that they are toxic to the human body in while in beam form although this does not extend to their emissions. The Arche Gundam visually appears to be using this type even in A.D. 2312 although it is not clear whether it only uses the same color with different effects or whether it truly is the same type.
- Orange - The most commonplace particle type used after A.D. 2311. At this point in time, the Tau Drive particles are no longer poisonous even in beam form due to improvements made to the Tau Drives. However it is not clear what their properties are (such as whether they retain the beam potency specialization of the reds) or specific information about said improvements that was done to the Tau Drives.
- Golden - Used by the GNMA-XCVII Alvatore, these are exactly identical to the red particles in effect. It is just that they are purposely tuned to appear gold because it was to Alejandro Corner's great preference.
- Green - Only used and generated by Celestial Being's Original GN Drives(aka solar furnaces). Visually, they become pink when are used in beam form and are generally balanced from a performance standpoint.
- Purple - These are emitted from ELS-assimilated GN Particle machines. After the assimilation, the GN Particles and beams produced by the once orange GN Tau Drives turn purple in appearance. The same effect applies of green GN Particle devices. Information about their specific properties or any possible differences are not known at this point.
"GN Tau Particles"
The technology originated from Innovators, specifically from Innovade Ribbons Almark; it's stolen CB technology, extracted from Veda. The particles are the source and power to United Nations Forces GN-X mobile suits; the technology would later be implemented to the Earth Sphere Federation and A-Laws. It should be noted that the term "GN Tau Particles" is an unofficial term only used to differentiate the GN Particles created by the Tau Drives with the GN Particles created by the Original Drives(all of them are "GN Particles" with some slight differences with each other). The main difference in appearance and effects comes from the compression rates and the treatment given to them.
Since the Tau Drives have electrical consumptions concerns when producing particles, they produced less on average and can afford less on beams. In order to maximize their power, the GN particles undergo a special treatment which greatly improves their efficiency in beam weapons. However, a side effect of prolonged exposure is GN T particle poisoning when the subject is exposed to high concentrations of the particles (almost exclusively found in beams); the normal emissions of the Tau Drives in A.D. 2307 themselves are harmless.
By A.D. 2312, the GN Tau Drives have been improved and no longer produce the same hazardous "radiation poisoning"-like effects even in beam form. It is unknown at this point in time whether the wavelength of the particles is intrinsic to the Drives or whether it can be changed with just some slight/minor adjustments.
GN Particle Poisoning
The particles generated by the Tau Drives in A.D. 2308 can cause cellular damage when exposed to high concentrations, which cannot be repaired through 24th-century medical science. They're optimized for beam weaponry because the GN Drive Tau has a lower maximum instantaneous output. Beams created in this manner have the unfortunate side effect of poisonous radioactive emissions at the point of impact, although it should be noted that in emission form the particles are still harmless. In certain high concentration and energy(possibly weaponsed) forms, even green GN Particles of Original Drives pre-3rd Generation Gundams may produce radiation poisoning such as the incident involving GNY-004 Gundam Plutone. By using the toxicity reports from this incident, adjustments were made to the Original Drive Gundams/Condensers so that the particles will not be poisonous anymore under any circumstances.
Tuning the Tau Drive to create beam optimized particles results in a more powerful beam weaponry, for a given amount of particles. While they may or may not have been more powerful, the beam weapons of the Gundam Thrones and GN-Xs were more economically efficient than those used by Celestial Being. The life threatening effects of the Tau particle poisoning can be suppressed with medication. Although by 2312, Tau particle generation technology have advanced and the particles used by the new Tau Drives no longer present the same radiological hazard as the older ones. There are a few ways where one can be cured with of the radiation poisoning which include being affected by a certain purified type of GN Particle or by using certain Innovade-related nanomachines in order to heal the damaged telomeres.
While ultra-high concentrations are harmful to humans, GN Particles in accelerated Trans-Am can stimulate evolution of quantum brainwaves (Setsuna F. Seiei) and eventually turn them into Innovators. The full extent of the physical changes to the human condition are undefined, but those who are exposed can temporarily detect and/or project their thoughts, feelings, and intentions to other people within a limited area (using the source of the GN Particles as a point of origin).
According to Ian Vashti, Innovation is caused by the GN Particles' special energy state during Trans-Am. He also theorized that it is possible for the effects of this state to be felt regardless of range, and worries that other genuine Innovators has awoken as a result of the Earth Sphere Federation's possession of the technology. He is worried that they will notice this trait.