Technology & Combat Characteristics
Design-wise, the GPB-X80J Beginning J Gundam is more focused on close-ranged combat alone. The overall performance exceeds the Beginning Gundam, but some modification make it more suit for adding external equipment. Its basic armaments remain the same, but is then outfitted with rounded I-Field Armor Plates and the new "Burning J Sword" Long Beam Sword.
- Beam Sabers
- Beginning J still retain three beam sabers stored in its shield. They can be used in a claw-like fashion, holding three sabers in one hand. When used against one hand-held beam saber, it was shown to be able destroy a mobile suit in a single slash, showing how effective it is against an ordinary hand-held beam saber.
- Beam Vulcan
- Rather than standard vulcan guns, Beginning J Gundam has beam vulcan guns which are in the form of a small rectangle on each side of the head, close to the V-fin.
- A standard shield used for blocking missiles and beam weaponry. Stores 3 beam sabers.
- "Burning J Sword" Long Beam Sword
- A modified version of ZGMF-X56S/β Sword Impulse's "Excalibur" anti-ship sword.
- I-field-based propulsion system
- The I-field-based propulsion system is a special system shaped as rounded-shape armor plates and act as an I-Field emitter. This give it exceptional high mobility and can deflect beam attacks.
Although Takeru's Beginning J Gundam is based on blueprints that he had found in his grandfather's house, the Bandai Hobby Division considered his Beginning J Gundam for commercialization and would later be released as an actual HG model kit. As a result, Takeru's own scratch-built Beginning J Gundam would be called the "early type".
- The "J" designation stands for "Japan".