Technology & Combat Characteristics
The second mobile suit built by the Martian colonists, it is developed without any external help and uses similar technology as the GSF-YAM01 Δ Astray. The transformable Guardshell usually moves around in its MA mode, which resembles the GSW-M02 Mars Tank, to conceal its true identity and its three legs can function as manipulator arms for picking up objects. When transforming from its MA mode into its MS mode, parts of the MA mode is discarded; this transformation system is designed using the MBF-P02 Astray Red Frame Mars Jacket as a reference. The sole rear leg of the MA mode folds up onto the back when the Guardshell is in MS mode.
The Guardshell specializes in defense as it is developed to protect the GSF-YAM01 Δ Astray; the two MS is designed to work in tandem to cover each other's weakness. When it transform from MA mode to MS mode, some of its defensive capabilities are traded for higher combat power. The armament of the Guardshell consists of a beam cannon, a pair of laser rods, a physical shield equipped with beam shield as well as three laser swords and three rocket anchors. In MA mode, the Guardshell can only use the beam cannon and beam shield. In MS mode, the suit has full access to all its weapon and the shield can even function as a yo-yo-like weapon.
- Beam Cannon
- A beam cannon attached to a retractable cable, it is mounted in the front of the Guardshell's MA mode and in the center of the chest when in MS mode.
- Laser Rod
- A close combat weapon stored in each of the MS mode's arms, the pair of laser rods look similar to the heat rods used by ZGMF-X2000 GOUF Ignited but their combat abilities are unknown. Usable only in MS mode.
- Mounted on the top when in MA mode, and mounted on the left arm or handheld in MS mode. The shield can generate a beam shield and has three laser swords as well as three rocket anchors. In MS mode, the shield can also serve as a handheld yo-yo-like weapon.
- Beam Shield
- A beam shield can be emitted from the shield to block powerful attacks like the GAT-X303AA Rosso Aegis Gundam's "Scylla" beam cannon.
- Laser Sword
- The triangular protrusions of the shield are laser sword emitters, they can be detached and used as a handheld weapon. Usable only in MS mode.
- Rocket Anchor
- The dark red parts of the shield, which are positioned in between the base of the laser swords, are actually rocket anchors. Each rocket anchor is attached to a retractable wire and when in use, it is fired out and will open up to become a grappling claw. Usable only in MS mode.
Created on Mars, the Guardshell is the personal mobile weapon of Nahe Herschel, who uses it on his journey around Earth. Nahe used the Guardshell during several encounters with the mobile suits of Phantom Pain.
Notes & Trivia
- Guardshell's MA mode is reference to the Martian fighting Machine.