Technology & Combat Characteristics
Although Gundam F91 doesn't feature complex mission packs equipments like its predecessor, the F90 Gundam F90, it nevertheless can be adapt for various missions by changing to an alternate backpack. One such equipment is the HWF91 Gundam F91 Heavy Weapons Type. Instead of the advance Variable Speed Beam Rifle (VSBR), the Heavy Weapons Type mounts enhanced shoulder armor, with more apogee motors for increased mobility. Despite the combined use of large anti-ship missiles and beam gatlings, its power is inferior compared to the VSBR-mounting model.
- Vulcan Gun
- Gundam F91 is equipped with a pair of head mounted Vulcan Guns for mid-close range defensive. While it can normally do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit it serves as a much more efficient and cost-effective means to shoot down incoming missiles, as opposed to using the beam rifle, the power of which would be over kill and is far more limited in ammunition. The Vulcan guns are an offensive weapon designed to be used against small lightly-armored targets such as ground combat vehicles or attack helicopters.
- Mega Machine Cannon
- A pair of fire-linked mega machine cannons are mounted on the chest. In the age of miniaturized mobile suits, the emphasis for mobile suit designs is speed, thus armor is sacrificed to reduce mass and weight. This leaves many mobile suits vulnerable to physical round weapons, such as machine guns, that had been discarded for mobile suit combat because of a lack of effectiveness after the One Year War. Though based on the concept of old mobile suit machine guns, the mega machine cannons mounted in the F91's chest have been improved with modern technology, making them more effective.
- Beam Saber
- The beam sabers are powerful weapons that emit a blade of plasma contained by an I-field that can cut through any physical armor. The only way to fully defend against a beam saber is to block it with another beam saber or a beam shield. Because of the I-field a beam saber can be used to block an attack from a beam rifle, but this is a technique that requires considerable skill, and can only block an attack of so much power. The F91 is equipped with two beam sabers stored in a recharge rack in the left hip armor. The hands of it are capable of rotating 360 degrees continuously, and when it holds the beam sabers this effectively creates a beam buzz saw.
- 4-barrel Beam Gatling Gun
- A gatling-style beam weapon capable of a high-rate of fire, the Beam Gatling Gun is capable of unleashing a torrent of beam fire which will shred through almost anything, regardless of how durable it is. However, individual shots inflict relatively light damage to target. Two 4-barrel Beam Gatling Guns are mounted on the hips of the Gundam F91 Heavy Weapon Type and serve as the suit's main weapons.
- 2-tube Anti-ship Missile Launcher
- Another two 2-tube Anti-ship Missile Launchers is put above the Beam Gatling Guns. They are mainly used for mid-to-long ranged bombardment against battleships and heavy-armored enemies. Because of the ballistic nature, the missile is particularly effective against a target that has beam-resistance.
- Beam Shield
- The F91 Gundam Heavy Weapons Type is equipped with a pair of beam shield generators. The first beam shield generator is mounted on the left arm. The second is a spare stored in the right hip armor. Unlike an I-field generator, which is effective only against beam attacks, the beam shield blocks both beam and projectile weapons. The beam shield generates a plane of energy similar to the blade of a beam saber. This plane is divided into multiple sections, which can be turned on or off as needed to conserve energy. Individual sections are also automatically deactivated whenever they're in danger of coming into contact with the mobile suit itself. Like beam sabers, the F91's beam shields have an internal battery that can power the shield even when not connected to the mobile suit.
- On The Gundam Chronicles it is called Gundam F91 [Strengthened Armament Type], while on Hobby Japan 286 (March 1993 issue; 1/100 scale conversion modeled by Shunya Yamashita) it is named F91 [Back Cannon use].