The LR-GAT-X102 Regen Duel is a variant of the GAT-X102 Duel Gundam developed by the mysterious organization known as Librarian Works. The unit first appeared in the series Mobile Suit Gundam SEED VS Astray and is piloted by Kaite Madigan. The 'LR' in the suit's model code stands for 'Librarian Regen'.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Regen Duel Gundam is a strengthened and redesigned version of GAT-X102 Duel Gundam. Similar to other mobile suits utilized by Librarian, the Regen Duel is compatible with Striker Packs and is usually armed with the Bazooka Striker, mounting the Gáe Bulg 350mm rail bazooka. It is also armed with similar weapons to those on Duel Gundam, with the addition of the Rudra 115mm rail rifle. The Regen Duel is designed to be more versatile than the original Duel, and can attack its target using different weapons as it closes in. The rail bazooka is used for long range attacks, then at mid range, it would eject the Bazooka Striker, lightening the suit and increasing its speed. At this range, it would switch to the rifles and then when in close combat range, it would use the beam sabers.
- "Igelstellung" 75mm Multi-barrel CIWS
- Installed in the head of the Regen Duel are two "Igelstellung'" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS guns used for shooting down incoming missiles or enemy units.
- 57mm High-energy Beam Rifle
- The Regen Duel has a single 57mm high-energy beam rifle equipped with an underslung grenade launcher. The rifle is carried in hand when in use or stored on the left hip, and is identical in design to the original Duel Gundam's beam rifle.
- Beam Saber
- Regen Duel is equipped with two beam sabers for close combat and they are stored on the knee armor when not in use.
- 115mm "Rudra" Rail Rifle
- A handheld variant of the "Shiva" railgun used by the Duel Assault Shroud, it is carried in hand when in use or stored on the right hip.
- 350mm "Gáe Bulg" Rail Bazooka
- Equipped on the Bazooka Striker, the "Gáe Bulg" 350mm rail bazooka is a projectile weapon which uses electromagnetic forces to launch the projectile. It is identical to a bazooka originally created for the first Duel Gundam, which was taken and used by Rondo Gina Sahaku's MBF-P01 Gundam Astray Gold Frame.
- An optional piece of equipment designed to increase the Regen Duel's defensive capability, it is mounted on the left forearm and/or handheld. The shield does not have phase shift armor, so it is not as durable as the suit's armor, however it also does not drain energy each time it is hit. The shield's major advantage is that it is anti-beam coated and can block or deflect beam weapon attacks, against which phase shift armor is ineffective.
- Hardpoints for Striker Packs
Regen Duel was frequently deployed by Librarian Works in their attack on EA and ZAFT forces. It was also deployed alongside Vent Saviour during Gud Vair's second meeting with Elijah but it was not involved in the battle. For that mission, Kaite was merely there to monitor Gud Vair's action. When Gud Vair escaped after hijacking Elijah's ZAKU, Kaite immediately gave chase in the Regen Duel but failed to capture him. After the collapse of Librarian Works, the whereabouts of this MS is unknown but it is highly likely that it ended up in Kaite's MS collection.
Notes & Trivia
- Although the suit's armor type was not stated in any official materials, it is likely to be Variable Phase Shift (VPS) armor as that is the latest version of Phase Shift armor. Furthermore, the Librarian Works had used VPS armor on MBF-P05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame.
- The "Bazooka Striker" is essentially the back-mounted portion of the GAT-X105+AQM/E-X03 Launcher Strike Gundam, with the "Gae Bolg" bazooka taking the place of the "Agni" hyper-impulse cannon.
- The word 'Regen' means 'rain' in German.
- Regen Duel is one of only a few mobile suits Kaite has piloted which does not appear to be equipped with his usual custom MS-use handgun.