The MAX-03 Adzam is a prototype ground mobile armor (MA). It was featured in the anime series Mobile Suit Gundam. Even though it is often called the first MA, it was developed and deployed before the concept of "MA" as a category existed.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
During the One Year War, the Principality of Zeon experimented with various mobile armor concepts, and one of their earliest and most successful was the MAX-03 Adzam, an experimental ground combat mobile armor. Based on the decades-old G87 Luna Tank, it was equipped with the untested Minovsky craft system, allowing it to hover in the air for virtually unlimited lengths of time with the assistance of eight VTOL rotors. It had eight twin-barreled mega particle gun turrets, giving it 360 degrees of protection. The second of its weapons was unique at the time: the first version of the "leader" weapon, designed to overload a suit's electronics and systems with electric plasma. This weapon would be improved and used on the MA-06 Val Walo.
- Twin-barrel Mega Particle Gun
- Eight twin-barreled mega particle gun turrets (four mounted around the upper part of the main body and four around the underside). The positioning of the turrets provides the Adzam with 360 degrees of protection.
- A weapon designed to overload a suit's electronics and systems with electric plasma. It consisted of two parts: an explosive full of a conductive "dust" material, and a cage that covered the target in plasma. The plasma leader is powerful enough to disable a MS-06 Zaku II by permanently frying its electronic circuitry. As seen in Mobile Suit Gundam: Lost War Chronicles, even the RGM-79(G) GM Ground Type couldn't withstand the weapon. However, RX-78-2 Gundam is well protected enough to continue operating after the conductive dust wore off.
Since the Adzam was an experimental unit, there were a limited amount of units built. Two were assigned to M'Quve's mining division at Odessa, on Earth. One unit would be piloted by M'Quve and Kycilia Zabi against Amuro Ray and his RX-78-2 Gundam when he was attacking the facility. The leader weapon almost destroyed the Gundam, but the "dust" wore off quickly enough for Amuro to break free. The second would be used to fight off the Federation forces during Operation Odessa. It would be destroyed in the process by 03rd MS team led by Matt Healy's RX-79 [G] Gundam Ground Type. A third Adzam unit was stationed in Australia and was destroyed by the White Dingo Team led by Master Pierce Rayer in late November UC 0079.
- MAX-03 Adzam Olga
- Adzam Repair
- OMAX-03RF RF Adzam
Notes & Trivia
- "Adzam" is actually "Mazda" spelled backwards, possibly a tribute to the Japanese car company Mazda.
- In the game Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon, the Adzam's bottom mega particle cannons remain, while the top cannons are shell-firing versions.
- In the second season of The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya, the character Kyon references the Adzam and its Leader weapon by saying "I feel like I just got away from the Adzam's Leader beam."