MBF-02 Strike Rouge
|Developed from||GAT-X105 Strike Gundam|
|First Seen||September 26, 71 C.E.|
|Known Pilots||Cagalli Yula Athha|
|Head Height||17.72 meters58.136 ft |
|Max Weight||85.1 metric tons (Aile pack)
|Standard Weight||64.8 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Energy Battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, in standard cockpit in torso|
|Armor||Phase Shift armor|
The MBF-02 Strike Rouge is a mobile suit using spare parts from the GAT-X105 Strike that was in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and its sequel Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny. Its primary pilot is the Princess of Orb Cagalli Yula Athha. The word Rouge is the French word for the color red.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Like the Strike, the Strike Rouge was always equipped with a Striker Pack. The most commonly used was the Aile Striker, which added additional two beam sabers to the armament. Besides the Aile Striker, the suit also was known to be equipped with the Integrated Weapons Striker Pack, or IWSP. This pack combined the best aspects of the Aile, Launcher and Sword packs from the original Strike. It included a large number of additional weaponry to the suit's armament, including railguns, cannons, anti-ship swords and a combined shield, mounting a gatling gun and a beam boomerang.
- "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel Anti Air CIWS
- Mounted in the Strike Rouge's head are two "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS guns. These light projectile weapons are used to intercept missiles and to destroy lightly armored vehicles, although it is classified as Anti Air.
- "Armor Schneider" Combat Knife
- Stored in the Strike Rouge's hips are a pair of folding "Armor Schneider" combat knives. These knives do not need power from the suit, can be thrown, and are capable of piercing the joints and under-armored sections of ZAFT mobile suits.
- 57mm High-energy Beam Rifle
- Another add-on to the Strike Rouge, the beam rifle can optionally be stored on the rear waist. This is the primary mid to long range combat weapon and can easily destroy a [ơZGMF-1017 GINN]] with one shot, but is mostly ineffective against suits with anti-beam coating.
- The shield is an optional piece of equipment designed to increase the Strike Rouge's defensive capability. A piece of armor almost as long as the Strike is tall the shield is used to intercept attacks that the pilot cannot, or will not dodge. The shield does not have phase shift armor, so it is not as durable as the Strike's armor, however it also does not drain energy each time it is hit. The shield's major advantage is that it is designed to block and absorb energy based attacks from weapons such as beam rifles and beam sabers, an ability the phase shift armor is unable to accomplish. However the shield has limits, for instance its ability to block an attack on the scale of a positron cannon blast is limited to halting the momentum while the shield and Strike Rouge itself will be destroyed.
- Hardpoints for Striker Packs
- The key feature of the Strike Rouge is its ability to equip additional equipment in the form of striker packs. Each striker pack is designed to outfit the Strike with the equipment needed to fulfill specific combat roles with maximum efficiency. The Strike Rouge's designers created several methods by which the Strike could exchange striker packs during mid-combat in order to increase the Strike's effectiveness, however they never managed to work out a truly efficient system making such switch's risky with a high reliance on pilot skill to make them work.
- Like the Strike, the Strike Rouge was equipped with Phase Shift armor, although the active colours were red and pink (due to minor improvements in the efficiency of the Phase Shift armor system, which would later developed into Variable Phase Shift) rather than the blue, red and white of the first Strike.
- Power Extender
- The suit features a "power extender" system to increase battery life.
- Pilot-assisting Computer AI System
- Because Cagalli is still a Natural (although with SEED ability), the suit had to be equipped with a Pilot-assisting Computer AI System, in order to increase profitability.
After the first Strike was destroyed outside the territory of the Orb Union, a different Strike model was built, using spare parts of the originial suit. This Strike variant, called the Strike Rouge, was built on the Kusanagi during the last days of the first Bloody Valentine War and piloted by Cagalli Yula Athha, who used the suit for a short time during the Second Battle of Jachin Due on 26 September, CE 71. Among her actions was the rescue of Athrun Zala, who detonated his suit inside ZAFT's superweapon GENESIS to prevent it from firing on Earth.
The Strike Rouge remained operational until mid CE 74, and was used as Cagalli's personal mobile suit after she and the crew of the Archangel left Orb. She launched in her suit several times to convince the Orb forces not to fight against the ZAFT ship Minerva, although with little success. When the Archangel returned to Orb, after modifying it to his specifications (by configuring the suit's Variable Phase Shift armor to reflect the original Strike's colors) Kira Yamato launched into space with the Strike Rouge (equipped with a booster) and used it briefly to protect the Eternal. The Strike Rouge however was no match against ZAFT's newer and more powerful mobile suits and was heavily damaged in this battle. With both of its pilots equipped with newer and more powerful mobile suits, the Strike Rouge did not see battle again and it remains questionable if it was ever repaired or simply decommissioned.
Though never stated in the series, it is obvious that the Aile Striker Pack for the Strike Rouge was upgraded by the Orb Union between the end of the First Bloody Valentine War and the Second Bloody Valentine War. The original Aile Striker Pack did not have full flight capability in the atmosphere, however in Gundam SEED Destiny the Aile Strike Rouge is shown on several occasions flying in Earth's atmosphere along side the ZGMF-X10A Freedom.
- After the events of Gundam SEED, Strike Rouge is the only mobile suit seen to be operational.
- One of the original ideas planned for Gundam SEED was that the Strike Rouge wasn't going to be Cagalli's unit, but Flay Allster's as part of a propaganda machine for the EA. The idea is revisited in SD Gundam G Generation DS.
- Despite it being an ORB-made unit, the Strike Rouge still bears the "CINQUE X-105" marking on its crest.
- Strike Rouge is the only one of the three main Strike Gundams to have green eyes. It is also the only one built by Orb. However, in the HD Remastered version of Gundam SEED, the Strike Rouge's green eyes can only be seen when it's Phase Shift Armor activates.
- While not officially numbered, the Strike Rouge (in its Aile Striker Pack configuration) was released in the Real Grade line of Gunpla, as a recolor of the Real Grade Aile Strike Gundam. This makes it one of the few models to be released in all of the four grades (High, Master, Perfect, & Real).