MBF-P02Kai Gundam Astray Red Frame Kai
|Developed from||MBF-P02 Astray Red Frame|
|Known Pilots||Lowe Guele|
|Overall Height||18.00 meters59.055 ft |
|Max Weight||62.0 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact energy battery|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
An upgraded form of MBF-P02 Astray Red Frame developed by Lowe after his first encounter with LN-GAT-X207 Nebula Blitzs; it replaces Red Frame's backpack with Tactical Arms IIL and its mount. Besides the two head-mounted "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS, Tactical Arms IIL and "Gerbera Straight" katana, Red Frame Kai is also equipped with "Tiger Pierce" Katana. It no longer uses the physical shield and the beam torch component of Tactical Arms IIL replaces the Type 71 beam rifle.
Like MBF-P03R Gundam Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise's Tactical Arms II, Tactical Arms IIL can also tranform into multiple modes, with each mode granting Red Frame Kai unique abilities. Compared to Blue Frame 2nd R's Tactical Arms II, Tactical Arms IIL only retains the Sword Mode and a slightly altered Flight Mode. The other 4 modes, Arrow Mode, Work Mode, V mode and Delta Mode are new.
Other than these different forms, Tactical Arms IIL can also function as "Maga no Ikutachi" Energy Absorption Claw and as a DRAGOON. The beam torch component can be detached and used as a welding tool or a beam rifle by adjusting its output. Tactical Arms IIL is a product of all Lowe's knowledge however its multiple forms and functions also increases the chance of it malfunctioning and make its maintenance difficult.
- As with the other Orb Astray prototype, the Red Frame Custom is equipped with head-mounted "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel CIWS.
- "Gerbera Straight" katana
- While Red Frame had the same basic armament of the other two Gundam Astray units, Lowe dislikes the high energy requirements of the beam weapons. Thererfore, he favores using the "Gerbera Straight", a mobile suit-sized katana given to him by the eccentric old swordsman Un No after Lowe repaired the damaged sword. Unlike the swords used by ZAFT suits like the ZGMF-1017 GINN, the Gerbera Straight is extremely sharp, and does not rely on the kinetic energy of a high-speed swing to cut through its targets. It is also covered with anti-beam coating, allowing it to parry beam sabers.
- "Tiger Pierce" katana
- Same as the "Gerbera Straight", the Tiger Pierce is extremely sharp, and does not rely on the kinetic energy of a high-speed swing to cut through its targets. Originally equipped on Un No's repaired GINN, it somehow falls into the hands of Librarian Works and is used by the replica Red Frame. Carbon Human clone of Un No later left it for Lowe.
- Tactical Arms IIL
- Manufactured by Lowe alongside MBF-P03R Gundam Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise's Tactical Arms II, but he did not equip it on Red Frame until the upgrade. It serves as Red Frame Kai's booster pack as well as its close combat and long ranged weapons. It can transform into Sword Mode, Arrow Mode (which can fire beam arrows at long range), Work Mode (which uses the Tactical Arms as a giant pincer for moving large objects), V mode (basic form of Tactical Arms IIL and allows quick transformation into other mode), Delta Mode (n which the Tactical Arms IIL forms a upside down delta shape, allowing the use of the Voiture Lumiere System for propulsion) and lastly, Flight mode (the normal flight form). The Delta Form is not one of the original transformations intended by Lowe, it is created after Ergnes Brahe donates the Voiture Lumiere System of his MMF-JG73L Turn Δ to him. The incoporated "Maga no Ikutachi" Energy Absorption Claw is newly developed by Lowe and is 10X stronger than normal. It manages to disable three LN-GAT-X207 Nebula Blitzs easily and seems to be able to function without physical contact, something the normal version failed to do. Although Lowe also incoporated the DRAGOON System into Tactical Arms IIL, he cannot use it by himself but he can lend it to someone who can.
When the Tactical Arms IIL transform into Delta Mode, the "Voiture Lumiere" (or "solar sail") interplanetary propulsion system activates, which uses the concept of catching solar winds to propel the suit. Red Frame Kai is unable to use the system at full power as that would require a nuclear engine and Lowe has no plans of ever installing one.
"Voiture Lumiere" system can also be activated in Arrow Form but not for propulsion; instead the "Voiture Lumiere" field created can be used to detect invisible enemy units and their movements. Furthermore, the field also allows curving of the beam shot fired, giving the weapon a theoretical 100% accurarcy. However this requires superior piloting skills and even Lowe cannot bring out its full potential.
Lowe was forced to upgrade his MBF-P02 Astray Red Frame after losing to Librarian Works's LN-GAT-X207 Nebula Blitzs. He proceeds to equip Red Frame with Tactical Arms IIL that was manufactured some time ago and "Tiger Pierce" katana that the Carbon Human clone of Un No left behind. At around the same time,Ergnes Brahe visted Lowe to have his MMF-JG73L Turn Δ repaired after a battle with Librarian Works. Learning that they are facing the same enemy, Ergnes donated Turn Δ's "Voiture Lumiere" system to Lowe so that he can upgrade his Red Frame further.
Red Frame Kai's first battle was against the Nebula Blitz Gundams that have been dispatched again to fight him. Using the MS's new abilities, Lowe figures out Nebula Blitz's teleportation trick and damaged one of the Gundams. Later, Red Frame Kai was deployed to help the defected Lily and Elijah fight against 3 Nebula Blitz. Using its strengthened "Maga no Ikutachi" Energy Absorption Claw, it easily disables the 3 MS in no time. During the battle with the Supreme Librarian's Nix Providence, Red Frame Kai did not carry out any attacks and was just dodging the attacks from the DRAGOONs. By that time, Lowe had already know that the Carbon Human clone of Prayer was dying soon. Red Frame Kai later blocked a fatal attack from Dreadnought H against the Nix Providence and Lowe explains Prayer's condition to the rest.
- Two "Armor Schneiders" and the beam blades for the Sword Arm Form can be found in the Master Grade (MG) model kit of Astray Red Frame Kai. However, they are not used according to the manual book. This happens because the MG Astray Red Frame Kai has some of the same runners with the MG Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise.
- Kai" is the Japanese Kanji character "改". In English it means "Modified".